• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Set up embouchure

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Simply place the lips together, gently touching, and blow air through. This is all the effort that is required to play once the instrument is added.

To free buzz requires more effort, and that much effort is NOT required when playing.
This is absolutely correct!
FRANCIS MAZIERS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that free buzzing and mouthpiece buzzing are just calisthenics exercises. In an interview where we asked maurice andre what he thought of the buzz he replied that he played the trumpet and not the mouthpiece!
Francis.
kokopelli
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New approach: Cooling Soup!!!!!!!!!Happy man! Works better then the buzzing......no buzzing ,only air .....WOWOWOW!!Never felt better !!
Tongue tip behind top of lower teeth, cooling soup ,lips closed towards rim ,mouthpiece on the chops, blow! So easy.......almost to easy 😄 Thanks for the replays .....3th day and feels so good...Flexible,strong,pp and ff without strain.
Noodly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kokopelli wrote:
Tongue tip behind top of lower teeth, cooling soup ,lips closed towards rim ,mouthpiece on the chops, blow!

There has to be more to it that that - when I try it all I get is the hissing sound of air.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

There has to be more to it that that - when I try it all I get is the hissing sound of air

There is. Have the lips lightly closed while inhaling through the nose, while placing the instrument to lips. Let the air open the aperture but introduce the air with an abrubt but light and clean attack with tongue. Start with short duration, low, soft notes. Using only elastic recoil for air pressure. No exhalation effort.

If you get just air, stop , drop instrument and start over.

Don't chase the tone with more effort.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noodly wrote:

There has to be more to it that that - when I try it all I get is the hissing sound of air.

-----------------------
Noodly,

Are you just trying other ways to form your lips and embouchure, or are you having difficulty understanding and finding a 'good embouchure technique' that works for you?

There ARE some basics of what goes into a 'good embouchure' - primarily to avoid lip pain & injury, and also to avoid developing a 'marginal embouchure' that seems to work for a while, but can't take you any further.
(oh, and remember that not everyone cools their soup in the same way ...)

If you want to pursue a 'is my embouchure technique OK' path, then please let us know what online or printed source of information you are using for your current embouchure. And whether you have learned it on your own, or with the help of an experienced player.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noodly wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
Tongue tip behind top of lower teeth, cooling soup ,lips closed towards rim ,mouthpiece on the chops, blow!

Maybe that works for some people, that's not at all how I set up. My lips are together, tensed a particular way then when I find the pocket with the mouthpiece, relax the area under the mp, make sure the lips are past the edge of the teeth, the teeth open a tad and the jaw goes slightly forward, just as I attack pressure comes off the lower lip some, the embouchure around the mp tenses in a particular way. I use the term "particular way" because it would be impossible to describe it exactly.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noodly wrote:
kokopelli wrote:

Actually there is less to it than that and really quite simple. Lip buzz. Learn to lip buzz and then form that embouchure in the mouthpiece when you play. You could walk the embouchure in at first while buzzing, but it isn't necessary. Don't worry about pressure, corners, tongue placement, aperture tension, et al. You don't need to construct every little piece of the embouchure. Just learn to buzz and all the pieces will automatically learn what to do naturally. And this will not cause you to expend unnecessary energy when playing, but will give you the means to get that first domino knocked over when first learning to play the trumpet.
There are some practice exercises that will greatly enhance progress and development but that is another topic.
deleted_user_48e5f31

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Trumpet instruction via blog? Reply with quote

Trumpet instruction via blog? Really? What a terrible idea.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrpPro wrote:
... Learn to lip buzz and then form that embouchure in the mouthpiece when you play. ...

--------------------
I'm curious about that method -
Anybody here (except for TrpPro perhaps) consciously attempts to do that?
And if yes, do you feel that you achieve your 'lip buzz' formation when playing?
Again if yes, is the 'lip buzz' formation that you use, the BEST formation you have found for lip buzzing - or is it A 'lip buzz' formation that can also be used while playing.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: