• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What's with the D above high C?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The value of the peak impedance at high D, while smaller than at high C, is still higher than peak impedance at either of C and G in staff - both of which are vastly easier to play than a high D.

This doesn't necessarily relate directly to playability obviously. And this has to do IMO with the increasing flow resistance through the aperture as one ascends. The SYSTEM becomes less efficient even as the impedance increases. Not to mention that a certain amount of embouchure strength and skill is still required to achieve the higher notes. Independent of relative impedance.

The greatest impedance peak is the 7th harmonic but we don't start beginners out on that do we?

Quote:
Do you think that for notes above High C, one plays notes via forced oscillations (aka buzzing)?

Not the same pitch , no. Even though there is progressively lower impedance peaks in that range there still ARE peaks. And a skilled player can exploit them.

For me, the embouchure effort of a note at high C or above is equivalent to the effort of free buzzing a note considerably lower. Like an octave or more. And with correct practice one can reduce that effort by increasing strength AND fine control.
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darryl
I enjoy reading your posts although I only understand about 2% of them. (That's a reflection of my maths and not your clarity.) Nice that so many guys like you out that making the effort / and taking the time to try and help others - thanks to all of you.

I have been playing trumpet for 4 years, in the last 7 months started to make real progression thanks to Balanced Embouchure (BE) I have had 4 lessons in my life with 4 different teachers (one of these was great, zoom with BE Ko, the others didn't help.)

What would be your (anybody else's ) advice / practical course of action to turn a thin c above the staff into a full easy resonant sound? Three ideas that don't motivate would be
1) Get yourself a good teacher
2) Get into your Arbans.
3) Tongue Arch. - For right or for wrong (and I'm sure many readers will exclaim "WRONG!!!" at this point) I have decided that for the next year at any rate I'll let the tongue look after itself.

But any other ideas very much appreciated. At the moment my strategy is to continue with with my BE exercises (which in 6months have turned g above the staff from hard to easy) and I have also - thanks to TH - a few days ago discovered David Hickman's 15 Advanced Embouchure Studies - I have ordered a copy but already exercise 2a (thank you You tube) is going well. I have also decided to try out Caruso 6notes. Any other obvious things I should be doing or at least consider?

For 30 years I was a long distance runner so with the trumpet I actually like the idea of a daily slog - but even more so if I feel the daily workout is taking me in the right direction. I tend to practise maybe 2 or 3 hours a day but less than 20 minutes a time. 40% of my playing time is technical (egBE) and 60% playing music - Eg Chet Baker. Yesterday i was very pleased to see Giuffredi's latest You Tube post and will be practising it today (reminds me of opening sequence to Al Pacino's Scent of a Woman)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9DowtTsZEk&list=RDMMH9DowtTsZEk&start_radio=1&ab_channel=AndreaGiuffredi

Thanks for reading this far and all the best for the New Year - stay safe - steve in Helsinki
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve0930 wrote:
Hi Darryl
I enjoy reading your posts although I only understand about 2% of them. (That's a reflection of my maths and not your clarity.) Nice that so many guys like you out that making the effort / and taking the time to try and help others - thanks to all of you.

I have been playing trumpet for 4 years, in the last 7 months started to make real progression thanks to Balanced Embouchure (BE) I have had 4 lessons in my life with 4 different teachers (one of these was great, zoom with BE Ko, the others didn't help.)

What would be your (anybody else's ) advice / practical course of action to turn a thin c above the staff into a full easy resonant sound? Three ideas that don't motivate would be
1) Get yourself a good teacher
2) Get into your Arbans.
3) Tongue Arch. - For right or for wrong (and I'm sure many readers will exclaim "WRONG!!!" at this point) I have decided that for the next year at any rate I'll let the tongue look after itself.

But any other ideas very much appreciated. At the moment my strategy is to continue with with my BE exercises (which in 6months have turned g above the staff from hard to easy) and I have also - thanks to TH - a few days ago discovered David Hickman's 15 Advanced Embouchure Studies - I have ordered a copy but already exercise 2a (thank you You tube) is going well. I have also decided to try out Caruso 6notes. Any other obvious things I should be doing or at least consider?

For 30 years I was a long distance runner so with the trumpet I actually like the idea of a daily slog - but even more so if I feel the daily workout is taking me in the right direction. I tend to practise maybe 2 or 3 hours a day but less than 20 minutes a time. 40% of my playing time is technical (egBE) and 60% playing music - Eg Chet Baker. Yesterday i was very pleased to see Giuffredi's latest You Tube post and will be practising it today (reminds me of opening sequence to Al Pacino's Scent of a Woman)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9DowtTsZEk&list=RDMMH9DowtTsZEk&start_radio=1&ab_channel=AndreaGiuffredi

Thanks for reading this far and all the best for the New Year - stay safe - steve in Helsinki
Practice 6 hours a day for 3 years and you will be quite happy about your playing. jw
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any other obvious things I should be doing or at least consider?

Take responsibility for your own playing. But at the same time don't beat yourself up if you fail. Failure is temporary.

You are doing some good things but one of the best things I did was learn to reduce the overall embouchure effort required to play while gaining efficiency of tone. One must do this by reducing the effort of the lowest notes first and then extend that reduction into the entire range.

Repetitive and consistent practice is important but it is also possible to practice bad habits and make little progress.

Contact me for more information.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve0930 wrote:
Any other obvious things I should be doing or at least consider?

-------------------------------
If you notice tongue position (including arch) adapting to various pitches, then try to encourage it in the same direction - no need to force into an awkward or extreme position, but the tongue is an important muscle for control of the embouchure.

Also be aware of mouthpiece pressure on the lower lip - it is important to find the best balance of pressure between upper and lower (so that lip vibrations are not inhibited by too much pressure). Jaw position and teeth alignment is important for embouchure control.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
It's interesting that one can create this curve if you have access to a frequency response spectrum display. Some audio recording software can produce that with the equalizer curve display for an audio track

It's pretty easy to recreate this response curve today. I did this by taping a 3/4 inch speaker (salvaged from an old notebook computer) to the mouthpiece. Then I positioned a microphone near the end of the bell. The only software needed is audacity. I used audacity to make this fixed amplitude frequency sweep input file. The sweep method is way easier than the unit impulse method. Using audacity, the sweep file is played into the mouthpiece and at the same time recorded coming out of the bell. The recorded output is here.

To see the frequency repsonse, just view the file in audacity:

The electret microphone and PC speaker combo I used is a little weak on low frequencies, but good at high frequencies. In fact, maybe a little too good on high frequencies. Harmonics 11-14 might be exaggerated. I was about to order some better parts when corona hit. With the family home all day, I am sparing them the annoyance of listening to this sweep file play. I believe this file was made with an Olds Special cornet. The whole response is shifted slightly because the mic wasn't in exactly in the same position as lips would be.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soulfire wrote:
I've been watching/reading quite a bit about range recently and it seems to me that most people (or at least a large percentage) top off at D above high C. This is the limit of their "natural range", after which they need to consciously work to increase it.

I'm curious what the technical/scientific folks out there think about this. Why is it that note specifically?

Players that haven't developed proper up-and-forward tongue arch in the upper register tend to top out somewhere around A at the top of the staff to High C, because that's about as high as one can play without proper tongue arch (on all fluoroscopic X-ray and MRI studies done, up and forward tongue arch starts to become significantly noticeable as the players in the research studies ascend up above High C).

The typical kid who can play a loud High C but can't play a soft High C, and also has a problem with that High C splatting down to the Bb is an example of someone how isn't arching their tongue properly.

Players of average physical (blowing) strength who do employ proper tongue arch tend to top out around High D to F above High C, and in their case, the limiting factor is their ability to generate enough air pressure (ie blow hard enough) to get notes beyond that. They will often be able to get a bit higher, but the notes become very quiet as they ascend because they are in essence trading volume of sound for range (they are already blowing as hard as they can, so as they arch their tongues more and perhaps compress their lips more, something's gotta give, and in this case, it's the volume of sound).

Studies have consistently shown that each octave climb on any brass instrument at a particular volume of sound requires an approximate doubling of the supplied air pressure. A player who is already blowing as hard as he or she can when playing a high Eb is not going to "find" or "discover" a double high C without building up more air power.

For folks of average size and build, reaching in the the Double High range requires developing both the "knack" or "feel" of that range (the required coordination including but not limited to proper up-and-forward tongue arch) and the development of extraordinary levels of expiratory muscle strength.

The practice routines developed by my teacher Claude Gordon address both these requirements very well - and also address all other important aspects of playing including sound, power, endurance and technique, and therefore, overall musicality as well.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - if interested, please click on the e-mail button.
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: What's with the D above high C? Reply with quote

soulfire wrote:
I've been watching/reading quite a bit about range recently and it seems to me that most people (or at least a large percentage) top off at D above high C. This is the limit of their "natural range", after which they need to consciously work to increase it.

I'm curious what the technical/scientific folks out there think about this. Why is it that note specifically?

The primary reason some people tend to top out at D above high C is the same reason some people tend to top out at at other notes: Their chop setting is inconsistent with producing higher notes.

The problem is not air. Any healthy person can produce enough air flow/air pressure to play any note on the trumpet.

The problem is not tongue arch. Tongue arch has no significant effect on air flow at the back side of the chop setting. The chop setting can't tell the difference between air that moves around an arched tongue and air that doesn't move around an arched tongue. Tongue arch is a muscular movement that can affect the shape of the chop setting. For some the effect is advantageous. For some the effect is disadvantageous. For some the effect makes no difference. There is no result of tongue arch common to all players. Lots of players can play the high register without tongue arch. In fact, you don't even need a tongue to play in the high register.

Most players learn to use a chop setting that involves some degree of stretching/thinning of the lips as the scale ascends. I call it "tightening the string." However, there is a point at which the player has "tightened the string" as much as the player can "tighten the string." As a result, no matter how much the player tries, the player's range is cut off. In my own experience F above high C is the cut off point for a "tightening the string" chop setting (although few players using this chop setting ever develop a reliable F above high C).

To go higher you have to develop a different chop setting approach. Without going into detail, I call it "shortening the string." When a player tops out the player is at the transition point. The player is "tightening the string" when the player needs to "shorten the string." The player typically doesn't know how to do that and, as a result, struggles even though the player has plenty of air and plenty of strength. What the player lacks is the proper chop setting technique (and that's the case even if the player is using a "shortening the string" chop setting - the player isn't "shortening the string" enough).

In order to play any note on the trumpet your chop setting has to be in the correct position and supported with adequate air supply. It's that simple.

Of course there are some players whose physiology is inconsistent with being able to employ the proper chop setting technique. However, in those situations lack of proper chop setting technique is still the determining/limiting factor.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

Players of average physical (blowing) strength who do employ proper tongue arch tend to top out around High D to F above High C, and in their case, the limiting factor is their ability to generate enough air pressure (ie blow hard enough) to get notes beyond that.
For folks of average size and build, reaching in the the Double High range requires developing both the "knack" or "feel" of that range (the required coordination including but not limited to proper up-and-forward tongue arch) and the development of extraordinary levels of expiratory muscle strength.

So, John, is it fair to say that small-frame adults will have a harder time developing a proper high range? They will have to operate at very high "knack and feel" to get these notes, compared to naturally larger and more muscular individuals? So, are there many females, for example, who are accomplished in the high range?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptptp wrote:
So, John, is it fair to say that small-frame adults will have a harder time developing a proper high range? They will have to operate at very high "knack and feel" to get these notes, compared to naturally larger and more muscular individuals? So, are there many females, for example, who are accomplished in the high range?

------------------------------------
not John, but ...

You are asking about "how does physiology affect playing ability" - and that is a much more involved question.

Also, there's the question of at what point in the trumpet's range does physical strength / size / etc have more impact than well developed technique.
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody once said that range is a natural result of practice. I have to say that it has been true in my case. I realized one day that although I had owned the Clarke book since I was a teen, I had never really practiced any of it beyond the second exercise. So I began to practice it more. Especially the scale exercises found in exercises one and five. And I would play them up to as high as I could. And notes I didn't "own" in my 20's I now have in my 50's.

And I took some lessons with Roger Ingram. His philosophy, among many others, was that you can produce that rich sound you have in your head on a smaller mouthpiece. So I went from a 1.5C to a 3C and I like the sound I produce a lot. But I practice more too.

I played a double Bb on a gig a couple of weeks ago. It was at the end of a big fermata at the end of In The Mood. I've done it a couple of times since. I can't say I "own" it yet because I can't hit that note at home. So bottom line: Be honest with yourself. Practice more. Practice high notes more in a systematic way. And good luck!
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question was posed "How does physiology affect playing ability?"

There are two primary elements to playing notes on the trumpet:

1. Providing adequate air supply.
2. Putting the air supply through a chop setting consistent with producing the desired note.

If the player has a physiological issue preventing them from providing an adequate air supply then playing ability will be compromised. Examples are lung/breathing disorders.

If the player has a lip, tooth or jaw formation that makes it impossible to form a chop setting consistent with producing the desired note this compromises playing ability as well.

These deficiencies are not present in the vast majority of players. The fact that a person is of small stature with corresponding small lung capacity is not necessarily a limiting factor because they still may be able to provide an adequate air supply.

The air supply/air pressure requirements for producing notes on the trumpet (even high notes) are vastly overstated. The requirements for air flow (square meters/second) and air pressure (pounds/square inch) are near zero. Most people can easily meet those requirements. The greater physical challenge is having the strength and discipline to hold the chop setting in place for the duration of the desired note. Those are abilities that come with practice.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The air supply/air pressure requirements for producing notes on the trumpet (even high notes) are vastly overstated. The requirements for air flow (square meters/second) and air pressure (pounds/square inch) are near zero.

I disagree. The flow is relatively low as compared to normal breathing, due to greater resistance, but one can run low of air on long musical phrases.

And BTW, flow is length**3/time, not length**2/time.

Air pressure requirements increase for louder AND OR higher pitches. Air pressure for the loudest/highest notes can be 2 to 3 psi or more. This is beyond the limit of some even healthy individuals. And certainly not zero.

Once can make some improvements in efficiency and reduce the pressure and flow requirements a bit. But not zero, even for the lowest and softest notes.
deleted_user_48e5f31

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Don’t think about it Reply with quote

Deleted by dfcoleman

Last edited by deleted_user_48e5f31 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment about the air flow requirements being low were in reference to the subject of playing isolated high notes since that was the gist of the original topic. Certainly playing musical passages requires sustained airflow and, of course, we all have limits to our lung capacity.

As for air pressure, I can speak only from my own experience. I've had respiratory issues for 45 years. We've thought that these issues were being caused by some type of COPD but recently I've become aware of the condition called "Trombone Lung" and I fit the case study exactly so we are doing a culture and awaiting results. Meanwhile, I took 3 weeks off and am sterilizing my horns and mouthpieces with 91% alcohol and it's made a remarkable difference now that I'm back on the horn.

My point is that I have a long history of a compromised respiratory system yet even when compromised I've been able to generate sufficient air flow and air pressure to play in the high register. I've assumed that if I can do it in my compromised condition then anyone can do it. Of course efficiency is a factor, too, and I've been at this a long time improving my technique so that would be a consideration as well. When I've worked with students having difficulty with range they do not seem to be lacking in air power but, instead, are lacking in technique which, in almost all instances, seems to be the definitive issue.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Don’t think about it Reply with quote

dfcoleman wrote:
I’ll be practicing. ...

------------------------------------
Practicing the things that are 'effective in producing improvement' works.
Practicing 'the wrong way' is unlikely to be helpful.

The problem for many people is to learn and understand what is effective practice. And then actually doing it.

Was your training always complete, clear, and understandable - so you never drifted off-course?

What type of training or teaching did you receive (or learn on your own) regarding things that were NOT going well, or which stopped improving?

What would you do to help a student who has serious deficiencies or errors in their technique or understanding?
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darryl and Jay..
Thanks both of you for getting back to me with some concrete tips..as u said Jay important to practise the right way so your point Darryl about starting in the lower registry and working on minimizing tension as you ascend ticks the box. Thanks to you Darryl i also now understand why i find pedal c so hard. I 'm still not quite sure is that then a reason to go for pedal c..and all the embouchure effort that involves or rather go for an easier pedal a?
Cheers for now stay safe steve in helsinki
deleted_user_48e5f31

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Response Reply with quote

Deleted by dfcoleman

Last edited by deleted_user_48e5f31 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was stuck on E Flat in my younger days. I remember one day practicing some chromatic exercises. I got to the E Flat and everything felt great. I ended up taking it up to a very strong, effortless G. I realized it was more of a coordination issue that had me stuck on E Flat. I eventually ended up studying with a Caruso disciple on and off for 5 years and also with Caruso for a year. Range wise I had a reliable G and on a good day a little higher. Doing the Caruso routines in the prescribed manner taught my body to relax a more and play by reflex.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Response Reply with quote

dfcoleman wrote:
... I’ve just retired from 32 years of private teaching, and my teaching emphasis was on live performance of solo and chamber music. It worked well. ...

--------------------------------
Thanks for your response, and the info about your 'trumpet journey'.

Jay[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: