• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What's with the D above high C?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all..
Dfcoleman wrote:
Quote:
Get the horn out of the case, practice a lot and get a great teacher. Repeat: GET A GREAT TEACHER! Figuring this out on your own or via a blog is a terrible idea.

I salute trumpet teachers. It was humbling to read on this forum Caruso being famous for saying he took responsibility for all his pupils' failures.
And when it comes to the "horn" I have been at it long enough (1518 days) to know there is invariably another side to the coin:

Quote:

Nobody every encouraged me to practice.
Nobody ever pushed me ahead.
Nobody ever taught me how to play.
Nobody ever told me that I played well.

I am not making these assertions from a conceited standpoint, but simply to prove that every cornet player..has an equal chance to be successful if he perseveres properly, discovering his own mistakes and weaknesses, correcting them immediately, and setting the highest point of excellence as his goal"
Herbert L. Clarke How I Became A Cornetist, p164.

As my wife is prone to say "Discussion!"
Stay-safe - Steve in Helsinki
deleted_user_48e5f31

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Ok Reply with quote

Deleted by dfcoleman

Last edited by deleted_user_48e5f31 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
soulfire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may offer my 2-cents-

Let's be honest here, Dave is 100% right. I mean I don't think you can make a rational argument that having no teacher is somehow superior to finding a good one, even if you need to go through a few to find the right one for you.

That being said, I think it also depends on what your goals are and where you are in life. Using myself as an example, as I do not know Steve, I've been playing for over 22 years and have had several great teachers. However, I am also married, with a career outside of music and many other priorities. Of course, my goal is to be the best overall trumpet player I can be and playing is my passion, but investing the time and money to study with a private instructor just isn't in the cards for me at this stage of my life. I know what I need to work on and have enough knowledge and experience to know how to go about doing it, with the understanding that I am an amateur, not a pro.

So Steve, the question shouldn't really be is an instructor worth it, because the answer is always 'yes'. The questions should be, what are your goals, where are you as a player and do you have the time and money?

As an aside, none of this has anything to do with why so many players seem to struggle to play higher than D over high C, which is the topic of this thread... even though I'm a hypocrite since I just replied
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen, Soulfire.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soulfire wrote:
... the question shouldn't really be is an instructor worth it, because the answer is always 'yes'. ...

-------------------------------
Or a definite 'maybe', depending on what the instructor is able to do.

Some of my thoughts about what an instructor/teacher should be DOING are here -
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1615036#1615036

It was written in the context of 'being your own teacher', but hopefully you'll understand how it also applies to another individual providing instruction / teaching.

I have no argument about the value of a good teacher - one who can really help someone to play better. It just seems that for many people, find a 'good teacher' is very difficult.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
soulfire wrote:
... the question shouldn't really be is an instructor worth it, because the answer is always 'yes'. ...

-------------------------------
Or a definite 'maybe', depending on what the instructor is able to do.

Some of my thoughts about what an instructor/teacher should be DOING are here -
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1615036#1615036

It was written in the context of 'being your own teacher', but hopefully you'll understand how it also applies to another individual providing instruction / teaching.

I have no argument about the value of a good teacher - one who can really help someone to play better. It just seems that for many people, find a 'good teacher' is very difficult.

Jay

Are you a teacher or pro player?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:

Are you a teacher or pro player?

----------------
No, but does that make a difference about what should be expected from a 'good teacher'?

I view basic 'trumpet teaching / instruction' similar to that of dance, sports, woodworking, etc. There are important basic concepts and techniques that ought to be instilled and learned from the beginning.

If a teacher cannot be bothered with the 'nuts & bolts' of the trade, they should make that clear to prospective students from the onset.

Last edited by JayKosta on Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
I have no argument about the value of a good teacher - one who can really help someone to play better. It just seems that for many people, find a 'good teacher' is very difficult.Jay

I'm in agreement with this. What defines a "good teacher" is very subjective and often the criteria is more of a measurement of after-the-fact success with a particular student, a level of success that might not be achieved by other students. Even the word "success" is too subjective to be consistently defined. So, positively and confidently identifying a "good teacher" is fraught with uncertainty and speculation while the potential of positive results, with no guarantee, resides in the future.

Teachers have a dual role. First, to guide and monitor the student through a regimen predicted to advance the student's mastery of the foundational fundamentals and principles of excellence in trumpet playing. Although there are differences in available and appropriate regimens the path is generally clear and well established and the information in readily available. Typically, the teacher follows the regimen in their own development so the teaching process of this aspect comes naturally based on the teacher's own experience, so I don't think it is difficult to find a teacher qualified to fulfill this first role.

The more difficult role is problem solving. How many teachers are there who can listen to a student's problems and who can then demonstrate an absolute understanding of the cause of the problems by picking up their own horn and exactly reproducing the problems followed by a complete and accurate explanation and demonstration of the cure? Unlike teaching an established developmental regimen, this "chop doctor" role is unscripted, making it an unusually high level and spontaneous teaching ability.

In my experience rudimentary regimen/method teachers are plentiful but genuine "chop doctors" are very scarce.

Should a "good teacher" be able to fulfill both roles with excellence? It depends on how you define a "good teacher" and the extent to which your definition applies to the characteristics and objectives of a particular student.

A secondary question is this: Inasmuch as information on regimens is easily accessible does a disciplined student even need a teacher to follow a published regimen that results in advancement? There have been many great players who were essentially self taught.

My father was in the wine business. He had an expression: "Man does not make wine. Wine makes itself. Man merely guards wine while the process happens." So, the concept is that man watches over things to make certain the process advances as intended, tweaking things here and there in carrying out the guardian function.

It seems that a lot of teaching follows that pattern. No teacher can single handedly make a great player out of an aspiring student. Ultimately the student has to develop the necessary skills on their own through diligent practice. The teacher can only show the student the way.

That being said, is simply showing the student the way enough to classify someone as a "good teacher" or when we talk about a "good teacher" do we mean something more extraordinary? Do we define "good teaching" on the basis of input (what the teacher teaches) or on the basis of output (what the student demonstrates)? What role does the inherent skill of the student or the dedication of the student play in the evaluation process? Great students can make ordinary teachers look like tutorial geniuses with brilliant resumes. Poor students can make a great teacher appear to be ineffective.

At the end of the day I think that if you're working with a teacher and you're following the teacher's guidance and you're putting in the time and effort necessary to achieve your goals and you're making reasonable progress and your progress is more rapid than if you weren't working with a teacher you're probably working with a teacher that is good for you. I think it's a lot easier and more accurate to evaluate a teacher on a "the teacher is good for you" basis than it is to evaluate the teacher on a "the teacher is a good teacher" basis.

Last edited by HERMOKIWI on Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
soulfire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to jump in here again.

I really think we're all saying the same thing. As I said above, "I don't think you can make a rational argument that having no teacher is somehow superior to finding a good one". As it was pointed out above, the word "good" is very subjective. What is "good" for one student may not be "good" for the next.

I agree with Dave that, if you are a beginner, having A teacher is better than having NO teacher.

However, I also agree with Jay that not every teacher is perfect for every student. I had my embouchure nearly ruined my freshman year of college by a teacher who had the best of intentions. It took me finding a pro in NYC to get me to go back to the way I was and focus on fixing specific issues, as opposed to an embouchure overhaul. Just because someone is more experienced or even a professional, does not automatically make them a good teacher or mean that their method works for you.

With the above being said, whether to get a teacher or not also depends on where you are in your life and what your goals are. Again, I think we are all on the same page here, just saying it differently.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soulfire wrote:
... Again, I think we are all on the same page here, just saying it differently.

------------------
yep, that's my page too.

oh, for those who wonder - "no I don't have anything better to do!" (at least for a lot of the time).
I hope that I'm able to actually help some people, either directly - or by getting them to think and discover on their own.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stay away from High Range Development simply because there is only so much nonsense a person can read.
It takes work and above all, natural talent.
Some players just don't have the ability to play much above high C consistently. They don't hear the note and don't have the musculature to make the tiny adjustments needed to move up.
My teachers both said playing chromatic scales helps in achieving the upper register. As the intervals are closer together, the C to D isn't as far apart with a C# in the middle.
All the theories in the world on what is the proper way to achieve the extreme upper register are pointless if there is no talent to actually produce those notes.
R. Tomasek
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
All the theories in the world on what is the proper way to achieve the extreme upper register are pointless if there is no talent to actually produce those notes.

As someone without talent, I'm still hoping that hard work and perseverance will eventually pay off.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
I stay away from High Range Development simply because there is only so much nonsense a person can read.

R. Tomasek

I think this should be at least the basic concept with maybe a very few exceptions.

And I am still (!! after all those years) surprised that there are some guys here who, though they are not a teacher, not a pro nor have any other recognizable experience in the teaching or any other field field, still scatter around numerous advice on every thinkable subject, not bothered by any serious know how.
OK, I have to be positive but they don't make life easy.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Vin DiBona wrote:

R. Tomasek

I think this should be at least the basic concept with maybe a very few exceptions.

And I am still (!! after all those years) surprised that there are some guys here who, though they are not a teacher, not a pro nor have any other recognizable experience in the teaching or any other field field, still scatter around numerous advice on every thinkable subject, not bothered by any serious know how.
OK, I have to be positive but they don't make life easy.

I agree.
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Of course efficiency is a factor, too,... When I've worked with students having difficulty with range they do not seem to be lacking in air power but, instead, are lacking in technique which, in almost all instances, seems to be the definitive issue.

Efficiency - yes. Practicing efficiency will lead you to the right technique. As a world class expert on playing the trumpet with too much tension and overblowing, what finally got me on the right path was learning to play with the air left after a normal, relaxed exhale. I can play every note in my range, and surprisingly long phrases. Then I learned how to take in and use more air with the same efficiency. Less effort-better results.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Galen

Quote:
what finally got me on the right path was learning to play with the air left after a normal, relaxed exhale.

Super idea. A very hands on Tip. I am doing it by steps.. so far a line of music top of the staff starting on halfway through the exhale. From the get go just felt like a smart way to practice. Maybe we should call it:

"Galen's Air that wasn't really there"

Sounds like something from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle..

cheers and stay safe Steve in Helsinki..

Last edited by steve0930 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
Vin DiBona wrote:

As someone without talent, I'm still hoping that hard work and perseverance will eventually pay off.

You don't need hard work, perseverance or talent. You need technique. The extreme upper register is almost entirely about technique.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DURING THE PAST YEAR I've modified my explanation for why the notes above the D/High C tend to elude so many trumpet players. In years past I'd just have said that the trumpet player's inadequate positioning and understanding of how his ''reed'' aka 'upper lip' could and should be positioned relative to both the teeth and mouthpiece was the main reason for the inability to defeat the frustrating range limitation at High D. And I still think that it's a pretty good answer.

After all, the trumpet is the only musical instrument where range limitations of any kind are an almost universally chronic condition. We don't see range limitations on any instruments besides the voice and brass family. The main similarity I think between these two ''families'' is that unlike say a mouthpiece on a Tenor Sax, we can not see specifically the function of the upper lip on a brass instrument. Nor can we tell exactly how the teeth interface with the upper lip. Similarly, we can not see how the vocal cords on a singer work. Although I am suspicious that outside of applying certain exercise that even this understanding couldn't necessarily change a bass singer into a tenor.

I'll admit that these are not descriptive explanations, but if ample time and space were available then I think that a more detailed explanation might satisfy most inquiries. Recently however I've begun to offer slightly less faith in the above explanation. This is because that it doesn't describe a method of making very high-pitched squeaky vibrations come off the chops. My reasoning here is that if one wants to defeat the High D cut-off point? Why not break through the one often found at High G too? In fact, why not remove all ceilings in sound to some nearly ridiculously high note, like perhaps the Triple C?

And if a trumpet player is going to do this then I'm convinced that they'll need to gain the ability to play all sorts of extremely high, squeaky tones simply on the lips alone. Not even with a mouthpiece present. From this perspective, AND given a dedicated student all range limitations should eventually be removed within a few short years. I am very certain of this.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delano wrote
[And I am still (!! after all those years) surprised that there are some guys here who, though they are not a teacher, not a pro nor have any other recognizable experience in the teaching or any other field field, still scatter around numerous advice on every thinkable subject, not bothered by any serious know how.
OK, I have to be positive but they don't make life easy.[/quote]

steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello chaps
I'm not a teacher or a pro, I'm not even a good trumpet player, but I want to contribute! I thought this is a great video, one week old from Wayne Bergeron. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwbN-gEe0sc&ab_channel=Long%26McQuadeMusicalInstruments

How to break through your personal high note ceiling? Wayne (video 25mins30) cites an example of a student who could play a great E above high C but that was his limit. Wayne 's idea is that when we meet our high range ceiling some tangible change / tilt of horn / mp position / air flow /jaw position is required - and that practice without change is NOT the answer. With this particular student Wayne said he was at a loss - everything looked fine - then he tried a tiny tilt of the bell of the horn upwards to change pressure on the pupil's lips whilst playing a high e and - bang -a G comes out just perfect. And then, as Wayne puts it: "it's like you go into your attic for the first time, wow man there's a bunch of other notes here"

What I have learnt from this is whilst I am now practising heaps more above the staff - practise in itself not enough - I still need to be in discovery mode.

Cheers for now, stay safe, Steve in Helsinki[/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: