• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What's with the D above high C?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve0930 wrote:
Hello chaps
I'm not a teacher or a pro, I'm not even a good trumpet player, but I want to contribute! I thought this is a great video, one week old from Wayne Bergeron. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwbN-gEe0sc&ab_channel=Long%26McQuadeMusicalInstruments

How to break through your personal high note ceiling? Wayne (video 25mins30) cites an example of a student who could play a great E above high C but that was his limit. Wayne 's idea is that when we meet our high range ceiling some tangible change / tilt of horn / mp position / air flow /jaw position is required - and that practice without change is NOT the answer. With this particular student Wayne said he was at a loss - everything looked fine - then he tried a tiny tilt of the bell of the horn upwards to change pressure on the pupil's lips whilst playing a high e and - bang -a G comes out just perfect. And then, as Wayne puts it: "it's like you go into your attic for the first time, wow man there's a bunch of other notes here"

What I have learnt from this is whilst I am now practising heaps more above the staff - practise in itself not enough - I still need to be in discovery mode.

Cheers for now, stay safe, Steve in Helsinki[/i]

+1

Incorrect technique is by far the biggest reason for problems with range. No horn and no mouthpiece can overcome incorrect technique.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: