• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Recommendations for Skype or Zoom lessons?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beginnersmind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Recommendations for Skype or Zoom lessons? Reply with quote

Hi, I am experienced with woodwinds but am curious about learning the trumpet. Though I have a solid grounding of breathing, I am having difficulty getting to third space “c”. What are your recommendations about what to look for with online lessons, who to go to, how much to pay etc.? Thanks in advance!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of online options now. A good place to start looking is Virtu Academy (https://www.virtu.academy/). There are currently four trumpet teachers, all of whom -- if I recall correctly -- are Oberlin grads who studied with Roy Poper and other top teachers. Good luck!
Beginnersmind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
There are lots of online options now. A good place to start looking is Virtu Academy (https://www.virtu.academy/). There are currently four trumpet....

Thanks, that sounds like an intriguing option. I will check it out.
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your goals?

Classical, jazz?

johnlakejazz.com
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For availability, I suggest you start looking locally - I know it won't matter for the online sessions, but eventually we will be able to get back to studio lessons (face-to-face) and you'll want to do that when possible. Search local Colleges or High Schools - I'd expect that a local college prof would, if not work with you, have suggestions for a number of teachers or teaching sources.

Price? That varies a great deal with the teacher. A local H.S. trumpet teacher might not charge much vs. a college professor. I think you'd be able to find 30 minute weekly lessons from $20-$40 per.

Trumpet is not a very pedestrian instrument. If you truly want to advance and have consitency, you will be commiting to a minimum of 30 minutes per day 7 days a week. I break that down for my students by suggesting 2 15+ minute session per day. session 1 fundamentals - session 2 etudes/solos/duets/band music/etc.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Noodly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would any trumpet teacher also be able to help me with Flugelhorn? Most do not advertise Flugel specifically.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Skype or Zoom lessons? Reply with quote

Beginnersmind wrote:
Hi, I am experienced with woodwinds but am curious about learning the trumpet. Though I have a solid grounding of breathing, I am having difficulty getting to third space “c”. What are your recommendations about what to look for with online lessons, who to go to, how much to pay etc.? Thanks in advance!

I teach all levels via ZOOM.
$65 per hour
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noodly wrote:
Would any trumpet teacher also be able to help me with Flugelhorn? Most do not advertise Flugel specifically.

Trumpet (Bb, C, D/Eb, picc) / Cornet / Flugelhorn - all the same instructor

Knowing your goals would help.. And, again, I encourage you to start locally - especially as a beginner / new to the trumpet.. In-person will be much more beneficial.
Can be done in large spaces, with appropriate precautions.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Noodly wrote:

Knowing your goals would help.. And, again, I encourage you to start locally - especially as a beginner / new to the trumpet.. In-person will be much more beneficial.

Not necessarily. I'm successfully teaching beginners via ZOOM.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Skype or Zoom lessons? Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Beginnersmind wrote:

$65 per hour

Billy is FANTASTIC with folks who are new to the trumpet. None better.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
zaferis wrote:
Noodly wrote:

Not necessarily. I'm successfully teaching beginners via ZOOM.

So do I, all ages - all stages, but in-person is FAR better and amplified for the young.
Noodly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm 70 and doing this as a hobby. I played saxophone in high school so can read music, know theory, know about breathing. The completely different fingering patterns do not seem difficult to learn. But this embouchure stuff is giving me trouble. I have an inexpensive plastic Flugelhorn (with metal mouthpiece) and intend to reward myself with a real one if I can master this cheap one. My concern is can I get my chops in shape.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Skype or Zoom lessons? Reply with quote

PH wrote:
Billy B wrote:
Beginnersmind wrote:

$65 per hour

Billy is FANTASTIC with folks who are new to the trumpet. None better.

The concept of ►FIND A GOOD TEACHER!◄ – I’ll write a treatise, someday, on how useless that slap of advice can be. So many variables. So many credentialed losers – including doctoral – who can’t teach-or-play their way out of a wet paper bag.

I don't know Billy, personally, but have seen a video of him working with a student ► HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ◄

-Denny
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Skype or Zoom lessons? Reply with quote

[quote="Denny Schreffler"][quote="PH"]
Billy B wrote:
The concept of ►FIND A GOOD TEACHER!◄ – I’ll write a treatise, someday, on how useless that slap of advice can be. So many variables. So many credentialed losers – including doctoral – who can’t teach-or-play their way out of a wet paper bag.
-Denny

Anyone seeking instrumental tuition needs a GOOD teacher. Is your issue in the concept of someone being competent, or the act finding such a person, or that tuition is actually needed? Or that reasonably prudent people would recommend this as opposed to...

So what would be good advice?

cheers

Andy
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Skype or Zoom lessons? Reply with quote

[quote="Andy Del"][quote="Denny Schreffler"]
PH wrote:
Billy B wrote:
-Denny

Anyone seeking instrumental tuition needs a GOOD teacher. Is your issue in the concept of someone being competent, or the act finding such a person, or that tuition is actually needed? Or that reasonably prudent people would recommend this as opposed to...

So what would be good advice?

cheers

Andy

Anyone seeking instrumental tuition needs a GOOD teacher. My point is – Easier said than done, right? What needs to be found is the right teacher.

Is your issue in ...

the concept of someone being competent
► Yes. The teacher might be competent to teach certain things in certain ways but, for example, if the teacher thinks that the Farkas embouchure (yes, I have the book - two copies from the mid-'60s) is the best/only approach, they are going to be unsuccessful (or less than fully productive) with many students.

or the act finding such a person ► Yes!!

or that tuition is actually needed? ► Tuition is absolutely needed

Or that reasonably prudent people would recommend this as opposed to…►This is the problem. Some students will progress and succeed, to a certain level, in spite of any certain teacher. I feel comfortable recommending a specific TH member because I’ve seen a video of a certain part of his teaching method that should address the issue mentioned by the OP. Prudent advice is not necessarily good advice.

So what would be good advice? Generally, it's hard to offer anything toward the positive direction that would be very specific in the context of our Forum. It would be nice if posters who are inexperienced could discern which responses and advice come from members who are talking above their heads as self-appointed experts, and more importantly, recognize the high-grade, food for thought from our many wise, experienced, and kind members.

My general point is that, “Find a good teacher,” is so nonspecific as to be nearly useless, Regarding any trade/craft/profession, very few consumers (and, even, practitioners) have the experience/knowledge/sophistication to discriminate among acceptable, good, and excellent, let alone offer meaningful advice about anything dealing with the personal differences of anatomy and histology among trumpet players and our interface with a particular mouthpiece and our interaction with the physics of a particular instrument.

-Denny
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy with the progress I have made with Facetime lessons with Jeff Purtle.

Take care,
Marc Speed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: