• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lotus Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 3M in Brass. Looking forward to trying it out when it arrives!
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....

Last edited by gregplo on Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
raynjtrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Lotus Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I just received my 1L in brass today. I orderered it August 14, so that's 11 days from order to delivery. It seems that, at least for some models, they may have sorted their problems out. It's a very pretty piece.

It's too early to know yet whether this will be my main mouthpiece, but it's more comfortable for me than the Monette Tradition Plus no. 2 (roughly equivalent to a Bach 1 1/4C or a Monette B2S3) that I've been playing for the past six months. I also received a new horn two days ago, so acclimating to a new instrument and a new mouthpiece in the same week may be too much to ask.

Ray
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one - again.

This time I'm going to wait with patience. Not piking out this time.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have ordered a 2L. Given the pandemic, we'll wait and see how many years it takes to arrive
bdromeira

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to share my experience with Lotus mouthpieces.
I made a purchase order of an 1XL on the last week of August.
By 12 September I got an update stating my order was being shipped, and it took a mere 4 days from the Netherlands to my home address in Portugal.

Now this is my 4th and hopefully the last one I purchase. I guess I am satisfied with this journey and can consider it finished So no more MPs!

Back in the day I started learning with a Yamaha 14B4 which I am still very fond of. Its timbre is on the bright side and yet it delivers a rich and large sound, very resonant.
Some time later, aiming to fabricate an embouchure visualizer, I bought a used 11C4, also by Yamaha, which I played for a couple of weeks but was not happy with it for its sound was dull.
It was more comfortable (maybe because it was not as large), it was also easier to play and more fun, but the timbre was lacking. It did not shine, it did not deliver a large deep sound nor a bright one. It was simply not worth it.
Then I fabricated the embouchure visualizer and the experience with the 11C4 was over.

A couple months later I decided to try a Curry 5TC simply because I had an opportunity to play on a vintage trumpet with a flugelhorn MP, and it sounded fantastic. And so I went for the 5TC, aiming to blend the trumpet sound with the flugel sound.
Soon as it arrived and I started playing I found the sound was dull as well in my Yamaha 6335 horn, but much more focused than the previous 11C4, and definitely the easier MP to play with, to date.
The sound was underwhelming and yet the 5TC is by a large margin the most comfortable MP I have ever played with.
I guess I was a little disappointed with the hype around here in the forum and so seriously started thinking about selling it...
As you may have already noticed I am not the kind of guy who has honeymoons with mouthpieces...

Now, I was still on this quest for a deep large sound, with a timbre a little on the bright side but as balanced as possible.
I was looking for a somewhat dark timbre but with a soft bright core which would be heard from soft playing all the way to forte. Something which would sound more powerful, and a tad darker than the 14B4.
And thus I gambled with some bottom caps replacement in my YTR 6335, and got an original Yamaha heavy caps set to replace the original ones.
Now, contrary to common opinion here those caps transformed the trumpet into a completely different beast.
Notes became way easier to slot. I mean, way easier.
The sound became definitely more focused but still as resonant as before, perhaps even more so, as long as I was playing the note centered in its intonation or may I say, in its specific mode of vibration.
With this change the 14B4 sounded better than before, but the Curry 5TC sound changed completely, for the better.
It now had a larger deeper sound with a slight bright edge, just not as bright as the 14B4.
So I just wanted to settle somewhere in the middle of the Yamaha and the Curry MP.

Then, by late August I decided to give it a try and got myself this Lotus 1XL after listening to Huw Morgan playing some terrific tunes with it in Youtube.
I practiced with it the whole day and must say it sits exactly in between the 14B4 and the 5TC.
On the pro side I would say it slots easier than any of the other two and gets to double high G without much fuss. So the upper part of the range is now easier to play.
Pedal notes are also more focused, cleaner and easier to play than with the 5TC, which was the previous contender.
The mouthpiece also delivers the loudest sound of the pack.
And finally, the timbre is full, large and deep with a bright core just a notch less noticeable than the 14B4.
So I guess I got where I wanted to and I am pleased.
On the downside the 1XL is the most demanding to play perhaps due to its larger diameter which I believe is somewhere around 16.9 to 17.0mm. So although more demanding to the embouchure, the sound is there for sure, which is the goal of switching MPs right?

Also worth mentioning is the Lotus mouthpiece build is very high grade.
The little box where it comes in is exquisite if I may put it this way, and the piece itself is gorgeous.
So if I would definitely recommend this MP to anyone interested, perhaps a smaller diameter than #1 would make more people happy, but that is something subjective I guess, and nothing more than a matter of personal taste or comfort.
I will also recommend Curry's TC series which are as formidable as the Lotus where timbre of sound is a concern.
Maybe the 5TC wouldn't be as easy to slot in an orchestra setting as the other 2, but someone may prove me wrong.

So I will give an hi5 to the Lotus 1XL, the Curry 5TC as well as the bottom caps replacement fitted on a Yamaha YTR 6335.
Give it a shot. You cant go wrong there!

Cheers!

Bruno

Post Scriptum: I have found that it is paramount to play notes in the trumpet exactly as centered with their natural intonation as possible.
If below or above their exact intonation the instrument will sound ok but not as resonant and rich as it should.
When you find the right intonation and allow the instrument to vibrate at its prime, then the MP/trumpet/caps etc., will eventually shine and show their true colors whichever they are. Just my two cents...
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregplo wrote:
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 3M in Brass. Looking forward to trying it out when it arrives!

I got word today that my Lotus 3M has shipped. Based on the reviews, I'm really looking forward to playing this mouthpiece.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....

Last edited by gregplo on Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bdromeira: I’ll prove you wrong (sort of) I have used the Curry 7TC in orchestra until I switched to the AR Resonance in the signature and it’s slotting etc are just fine. It is, however, a softer sound and will not always carry enough. So, yes, it can be done, but loud or very high parts are quite challenging. I do like the sound and keep the Curry in my backup pouch.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
lotherro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my 1L Nickel-Silver today, so this will cover first impressions only. It took about 5 weeks to get here, a week earlier than they had predicted. As several have said, it’s a very nice looking mpc. I expected the length to be different than my 1L Nickel-Silver+ from last year, but it looks to be about the same. I also had heard somewhere that this 2.0 would have more bite on the rim, but I found the opposite to be true—that it’s actually more rounded and smoother than my first generation one (very comfortable). The shank also looks quite thin compared to last year’s, similar to my Monette B2S3. From what I could tell today, the sound is actually quite similar to last year’s, but richer and clearer, with a more pronounced articulation. Upper register was a bigger sound, as well as with the lower register. Very smooth movement from note to note. After an extended warmup (that felt good), I only played three different pieces, and this mpc sounded better on all three. Overall, I’m very pleased, and look forward to putting it to some more extensive testing. If anyone has any specific questions, I’ll do my best to answer. All in all, worth the wait.
Lotus 1L Nickel-Silver 2.0
Lotus 1XL+ Brass 1.0
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a 3L in Brass at the end of August this year. I received a package from Lotus today, and with a restrained excitement I opened the package and looked inside. Beautifully presented in its own cylindrical box, was a very nice looking mouthpiece. Lovely fluting on the sides, gorgeous. A Nickel Silver 3XL. Except...I ordered a 3L in Brass.
So, after the initial very long wait followed by cancelation, and then re-ordering, they send me the wrong mouthpiece. Oh joy.

edit - mpc plays well. Wrong material, wrong size. I'm keeping it anyway.

Also, it's quite a bit shorter than a standard piece. Is that normal?
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a little time with this piece, I have to admit - Lotus makes very good mpc's. Yeah, they sent the wrong one, but maybe they knew my needs better than I did. Joking obviously, but the point is what a fabulous piece. It's the sound I wanted all along, and it feels great, more precise. Great job Lotus. I will be a returning customer for sure and have another shot at getting a Brass 3L.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lotus has become permanently attached to my Xeno.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you break the instrument trying to remove the mp, see a qualified repair technician Just kidding. My Bach and the Lotus 3S-N are a pretty pair as well.
1977 Conn 6B
ThatFoxtrot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could add to the great feedback I've read on here regarding the playability of these mouthpieces. The 8 week window they advertise came today (ordered a 1XL2 in brass 29 Aug) and still no idea when my mouthpiece will be shipped.

I sent an email to lotus after 3.5 weeks asking for any sort of update and the response was lacking to say the least. Verbatim the email said "We advertised an 8 week wait time at the time you made your order. You can view our shipping policy at this link. We are expecting a new shipment in soon and you should expect an email from our team within the next two weeks". Which gives me little to zero information about my mouthpiece, and spoiler alert. I didn't receive an email from them.

More recently, I sent an email to Lotus again a little over 7 weeks from when the order was made. This time Charles was much more helpful and sent me an email with an apology for the lack of info and for the wait time as apparently they are yet to receive any 1XL2's. Accompanied was a lot of info regarding their mouthpieces, depths, materials etc under the justification that they wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting and that I'd be happy with it straight away.

Initially a dissatisfactory experience on customer service, but one that has turned around and is something I am more pleased with now. Still no estimated shipping date though unfortunately. Will update when the mouthpiece arrives.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Before you break the instrument trying to remove the mp, see a qualified repair technician Just kidding. My Bach and the Lotus 3S-N are a pretty pair as well.

I will never separate them!

But yeah, I see what I did there.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatFoxtrot wrote:
I wish I could add to the great feedback I've read on here regarding the playability of these mouthpieces. The 8 week window they advertise came today (ordered a 1XL2 in brass 29 Aug) and still no idea when my mouthpiece will be shipped.

I sent an email to lotus after 3.5 weeks asking for any sort of update and the response was lacking to say the least. Verbatim the email said "We advertised an 8 week wait time at the time you made your order. You can view our shipping policy at this link. We are expecting a new shipment in soon and you should expect an email from our team within the next two weeks". Which gives me little to zero information about my mouthpiece, and spoiler alert. I didn't receive an email from them.

More recently, I sent an email to Lotus again a little over 7 weeks from when the order was made. This time Charles was much more helpful and sent me an email with an apology for the lack of info and for the wait time as apparently they are yet to receive any 1XL2's. Accompanied was a lot of info regarding their mouthpieces, depths, materials etc under the justification that they wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting and that I'd be happy with it straight away.

Initially a dissatisfactory experience on customer service, but one that has turned around and is something I am more pleased with now. Still no estimated shipping date though unfortunately. Will update when the mouthpiece arrives.

I feel your pain. I initially ordered, and then cancelled due to Lotus's poor customer service. The nonsensical responses to queries, such as we don't know when it will happen but it will happen, but in the meantime here's a free gift. It was a video of Adam Rapa playing trumpet. Great. Thanks a lot.

But then on my second attempt, the piece arrived in a timely manner, but it was not the one I ordered Just lucky that it's a fantastic piece, one that I decided to keep.

I have no advice for you, except to stick with it if you have the patience, it will probably be worth it. Best of luck.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Lotus 2L arrived in the promised 8 week time frame without any issues.
Given that it's $80USD cheaper than a Monette Silver Series or ~$115USD cheaper than a GR mouthpiece, and even slightly cheaper than a Pickett Brass mouthpiece, it's a good price IMO. A premium mouthpiece for a reasonable price. The trade off is the longer wait time, at least for now.

Haven't had a chance to play on it much yet, but it seems like an excellent mouthpiece. Ticks all the boxes for a good mouthpiece, so it's really just a matter of personal taste whether you like the feel and and the sound, but I think the majority of people would feel more comfortable on a Lotus than a Monette, both in terms of the rim feel and in terms of how they blow. I think a lot of folks will find it does for them what they want a Monette to do, without the undesirable aspects of Monette equipment for a lot of folks.

The most unexpected thing is they're actually a fairly normal-weight mouthpiece, even slightly on the lighter side perhaps. At least for the new version with what I think of as the 'cathedral' blank. I'd say it's a little lighter than a standard bach although I didn't weigh them or anything like that.

For me, I went in knowing from the website and this thread that there'd be a delay, so I just placed the order and went on about my life knowing it'd turn up eventually.

As I've said elsewhere on this thread, the wait to me seemed quite reasonable all things considered with the pandemic going on.
I ordered a custom tuning slide for example from a reputable company that I've purchased from before. Posted my slide to them back in February so they had a reference to work from, probably arrived early March. It's October now, and it was only ready for posting last week. Usually it's about a 4 week build time but this time took about ~7months. My point here is not that I have any grievance against them for the delay. The point is that a lot of companies have been impacted very severly by the pandemic in all kinds of different ways. Supply chains are a mess. Businesses are closed. Some of us have been in lockdown for most of the last 2 years.

Waiting for a mouthpiece seems pretty 'who cares?' to me.
ThatFoxtrot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:

Waiting for a mouthpiece seems pretty 'who cares?' to me.

My (and it seems everyone else's) main issue isn't the wait time, it's the lack of communication between Lotus and customer about what is happening. If it's going to be late, just tell me.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add another drift: has anyone tested the flugelhorn mouthpieces? What are your opinions and experience?

Currently playing a GR65 FL and JK Exclusive 5C and happy with them, but I really like my Lotus trumpet piece, so I thought I’d ask.
1977 Conn 6B
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed lotus asking for advise about me playing a 1.5b and 1.5c bach and needing a new mouthpiece and explained looking for better intonation and more accurate makeup?. Their reaponse was that their charts needed updating and a 1L2 would be the a 1.5c equivalent and would be the best for me. What do you guys think about this? I was going to go for a 2l originally.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
ThatFoxtrot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally received my mouthpiece late last week after 11 weeks of waiting with no indication of estimated shipping dates. Similarly to many of you on this thread, my experience has been that the customer service and awareness is subpar but the mouthpieces are quite good.

From my own listening and from others the response was very positive about its sound on my C trumpet. It is now my main on the C trumpet. I agree with the claim that the piece doesn't respond well to tension in the player, It very quickly stops responding if you try and force it. that being said there is not a need to force anything.

The intonation is better (certainly hasn't solved all my intonation problems as some have claimed) especially on the D, Eb, and E. Alternate fingerings are better but standard fingerings are now somewhat usable if you are willing to lip up a bit.

The range increases are certainly not as insane as some of the marketing material suggests. A high F certainly does not feel like a high D now. Though I didn't really expect it to do that either.

The rim shape is something I find a bit interesting. I bought a 1L, its almost as if the mouthpiece wants to open into a significantly deeper cup. The initial bite is quite sharp but then moves inwards before actually going into the cup, I can attach a crude diagram if anyone actually cares enough.

TL;DR Lotus's customer service is underwhelming at best, the mouthpiece itself is very good, will probably buy from them again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 13 of 20

Jump to: