• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lotus Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjbanko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:32 pm    Post subject: question on receiver fit Reply with quote

I picked up a 2m and 3m to see what I think. Finish looks and feels gr8. My normal mouthpiece has a Giardinelli 6 rim which feels like if falls between the Lotus 2 and 3. Feeling can be deceptive as it also seems to have a softer bite than my usual mouthpiece. Does feel very open and a bit uncontrollable, notes do feel closer.

My one issue is the fit to the receiver. I tried the two lotus pieces in my normal horn, a Kanstul and they seem to wiggle a lot, they seem to fit someplace deeper in the receiver and never quite seem to snug up with the entrance. The wobble is in any direction so not a bent receiver. The Bach shank and GR shanks fit fine. I then tried all 4 mouthpieces in a Reeves trumpet with the same results. Anyone else encounter this?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 3S-N (new version) that I rarely play. It doesn’t wiggle at all, not in the Bach and not in the Schmidt.

Interesting comment on the rim: I find the Lotus has a significantly sharper inner edge than my AR resonance pieces and also the GR pieces I used to play. Less comfortable for me than AR or GR.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: question on receiver fit Reply with quote

sjbanko wrote:
I picked up a 2m and 3m to see what I think. Finish looks and feels gr8. My normal mouthpiece has a Giardinelli 6 rim which feels like if falls between the Lotus 2 and 3. Feeling can be deceptive as it also seems to have a softer bite than my usual mouthpiece. Does feel very open and a bit uncontrollable, notes do feel closer.

My one issue is the fit to the receiver. I tried the two lotus pieces in my normal horn, a Kanstul and they seem to wiggle a lot, they seem to fit someplace deeper in the receiver and never quite seem to snug up with the entrance. The wobble is in any direction so not a bent receiver. The Bach shank and GR shanks fit fine. I then tried all 4 mouthpieces in a Reeves trumpet with the same results. Anyone else encounter this?

I have had several Lotus pieces…quality control seemed to be an issue, at least at first. Some of the first couple I received did not fit snugly. If you email Charley they will exchange them for you.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: question on receiver fit Reply with quote

acritzer wrote:
sjbanko wrote:
My one issue is the fit to the receiver.
I have had several Lotus pieces…quality control seemed to be an issue, at least at first. Some of the first couple I received did not fit snugly.

I recently received a 7L and have no problem fitting it into a Yamaha Shew Z or a Benge 3X.

And I don't know if this mpc. will be my primary but I really like it. A little bigger than I'm used to (not big) and a softer feeling rim.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of wish that the Lotus pieces were still more open in design. I bought a 2XL2 in bronze and it felt very focused and narrow in blow coming from a Monette Prana, Pitch was right on the money though and it was easy to play upper register stuff, and it didn't go flat as you play louder, Still, not right for me. I listed it for sale here.
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question — The cup of my new Lotus mouthpiece is not polished. It is a satin finish. Is that normal for these mouthpieces? I just want to make sure it’s not defective.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richj50 wrote:
Question — The cup of my new Lotus mouthpiece is not polished. It is a satin finish. Is that normal for these mouthpieces? I just want to make sure it’s not defective.

Yes that is the new finish
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody tried the extra deep Flugel pieces?
ENINCA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDude wrote:
Anybody tried the extra deep Flugel pieces?

I've been playing a Lotus 3XL flugel MP and I love it.
"Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win. Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins. This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins." -Dizzy Gillespie
Stewart Kirwan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Lotus mouthpieces work with my Monette trumpet? (2000LT silver plated)

I've been using a Reeves 42WS with my Bach 37LT trumpet, and need an equivalent mouthpiece for the Monette horn. I've tried a couple of Monette pieces but no luck.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewart Kirwan wrote:
Will Lotus mouthpieces work with my Monette trumpet? (2000LT silver plated)

I've been using a Reeves 42WS with my Bach 37LT trumpet, and need an equivalent mouthpiece for the Monette horn. I've tried a couple of Monette pieces but no luck.

If the monette uses the standard shank mouthpieces and not the screw in mouthpieces yes, the lotus will work fine.
Stewart Kirwan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chief! So the length of the Lotus is the same as the Monette design? (ie shorter than the Reeves)
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewart Kirwan wrote:
Thanks Chief! So the length of the Lotus is the same as the Monette design? (ie shorter than the Reeves)
the lotus pieces I have are shorter than the Bach and other standard pieces I have had. I have not had a Monette as of yet, but should tomorrow.
Stewart Kirwan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
Stewart Kirwan wrote:
the lotus pieces I have are shorter than the Bach and other standard pieces I have had. I have not had a Monette as of yet, but should tomorrow.

The Lotus’s I have are different length based on the cup. All of them are shorter than “traditional” Bach length pieces. The L is the longest, M slightly shorter, S shorter still. Charley has confirmed with me this is by design.
Stewart Kirwan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers!
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ ThatDude, sorry for the late response: yes, I did own a 7XL flugel piece in bronze. Major problem was that their American shank did not fit my American shank flugelhorn (the one in the signature - one of these darn Morse taper issues, I reckon).

As flugel is my doublers-doublers instrument (after trumpet, then bass trumpet, then a little baritone, then flugel) getting a fitting leadpipe to just check out the piece seemed a little overkill and I passed on that option.

However, I did also try it out on a ca 1900 Josef Lidl rotary C trumpet I had for a while and (although not a perfect fit) the sound was pretty impressive. The fact that the bell of that instrument was a little on the flugel-ish side with a relatively fast taper, but still not very large diameter may have added to the sound. Might be an interesting option if playing with a choir. The sound was really warm but in my perception less diffuse than, say, with a super deep Wick flugel piece. I did like the Lotus sound better.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewart Kirwan wrote:

The monette stc 1 I got in today is barely shorter than the 1l2 lotus I have been playing on. Maybe a mm or less.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acritzer wrote:
chef8489 wrote:
Stewart Kirwan wrote:

The Lotus’s I have are different length based on the cup. All of them are shorter than “traditional” Bach length pieces. The L is the longest, M slightly shorter, S shorter still. Charley has confirmed with me this is by design.

The Stork Studio Masters are designed with the length of the shank to balance the perceived resistance of the cup/throat/backbore combinations. But they don't cost as much...

Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends!

I have never played a Lotus, but since Stork was mentioned........I think you should all try a Stork mouthpiece!

They really are fantastic, and Phyllis is incredibly helpful. Their product is very reasonable priced, and you can order any rim/cup/throat/backbore combination you want!!

Thats all I have to say about that.

I'm sure that Lotus is doing some cool stuff, and I don't mean to take away from the conversation. I just think Stork is doing great work.

Back to your regular scheduled programming

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: