• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lotus Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
wiemelen wrote:
acritzer wrote:
Haha, well if a few random people communicating/griping on the internet has you bothered I hope you don't spend much time online.

Wel what I was hinting at is that maybe this topic is not the best place to complain for a product that's only a few weeks late.
Would be a different case if orders should get cancelled or when quality should be below par (which I don't think they will be). But I think we'll find out in a few weeks.
Lotus is like the Tesla of the trumpet world! They come up with some awesome stuff but take longer than advertised and do things a little bit different than we are used to. I support them, but it's okay to talk about these idiosyncrasies.

Tesla?! More like FYRE Festival.
scogia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is getting weirder and weirder...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mKPMGCjaaRR0DeAPZNd80P7Y2Q3OPrPD/view?usp=drivesdk
scogia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scogia wrote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mKPMGCjaaRR0DeAPZNd80P7Y2Q3OPrPD/view?usp=drivesdk

Rapa is clearly one of the best players I’ve ever heard but... if he tells a machinist to put a mouthpiece back into the chuck to cut it again, twice, he will laugh at you.
Sorry but that’s the truth.
Jay2015trumpet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered one as well in the presale. I am wondering if Mr. Rapa does not have the capital to just scrap the current 600 piece order and begin anew. It seems his firm is trying to save the first production batch at all costs. Don't know about the "redesign." It will be interesting to see what it all comes together to be when shipped.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scogia wrote:
scogia wrote:

Rapa is clearly one of the best players I’ve ever heard but... if he tells a machinist to put a mouthpiece back into the chuck to cut it again, twice, he will laugh at you.

I don't know. If I was a machinist being paid to put a mouthpiece back in the chuck to cut it twice more, I might stifle my laughter and take the money.

I personally don't think the explanations by Lotus for the delays in sending out our new mouthpieces sound that far-fetched. I appreciate that Adam Rapa and his company do not want to send out an inferior product.

Well, conspiracy theories are all the rage today in some quarters, I guess...
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
scogia wrote:
scogia wrote:

I don't know. If I was a machinist being paid to put a mouthpiece back in the chuck to cut it twice more, I might stifle my laughter and take the money.

I personally don't think the explanations by Lotus for the delays in sending out our new mouthpieces sound that far-fetched. I appreciate that Adam Rapa and his company do not want to send out an inferior product.

Well, conspiracy theories are all the rage today in some quarters, I guess...

This is not a conspiracy theory. This is a company that has deliberately changed its manufacturing process and its messaging over and over again. It's more than reasonable to be skeptical. It's actually stranger to have blind faith, given the evidence.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not far fetched at all. He is telling everyone quite a bit about what happened, and what they did to fix it. If I got it right, it seems that the plating company did not vapor degrease the pieces. That could be because the chemical for that is being phased out and they probably used a different chemical that did not blast the grease or oil from the inside. That would make silver look flakey. Easy to fix, just need to scrub the inside with a 3m type pad. Then replate, but if they did not change anything it might happen again because of the chemical prep. By the way, this is why everyone here uses Anderson plating. They know the issues with mouthpieces. So he has to get a plating company to figure out what the deal is with mouthpieces.

As for the outside that is a bit odd, but he’s got those milled facets around the outside. Nice look I guess but that is a pain to deal with. There are milling tool marks in those facets, which look kind of nice, and I bet those are hard for the plating company to deal with especially if they can’t use tri-chlor. Sounds like when rebuffing the pieces the facets edges started to round off and be inconsistent so they scrapped the idea of the milling marks and did a brushed matte Finish instead. All good, no dif as far the mouthpiece goes.

So he is gonna make his 600 pieces get over the finish line after all. Good for him, and everyone has to maybe wait a couple weeks extra.

Trumpet players are not the same as other people. They deserve to be treated better than someone who isn’t a trumpet player, at least by other trumpet players.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, maybe these are all normal problems and maybe he's just being too hopeful and transparent. As a consumer, hearing about the issues due to your manufacturing process changes is not normal and I think it's unfortunate that he took the money before he had a product ready to sell. That seems to be a thing now with crowd-funding.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of the frustration, as is often the case, stems from miscommunication.
-I've been told that the entire original 600+ order had silver plating flaws.....I've also been told that only 100 of the original 800 pieces were even silver plated.
-I've been told that the outer design change was something they had planned to do.....I've also been told that the outer design change and cutting was because they couldn't cleanly cut the old design.
-I've been told the first 100 or so were being sent to the shipping company 2 weeks ago, with larger batches heading out daily....Then I was told pieces weren't being plated until next week.

NONE of this is to say it's deliberate or nefarious in anyway. NONE of this is to say that the mouthpieces won't be great. I'm simply pointing out that clear communication should be a priority, especially when people have paid several hundreds of dollars well in advance.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anyone have actually preferred to pay last year's prices to not experience the rigamarole? It's a serious question...
bellicapelli

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it so unreasonable to expect that a company’s statements to their customers are consistent one to another? It is a serious question.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chapahi wrote:
Would anyone have actually preferred to pay last year's prices to not experience the rigamarole? It's a serious question...

If I knew for sure which size I wanted...yes. As it is I ordered multiple pieces, so I could try a couple different ones.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought one - even though the site's grammar sucks. Where are the proofreaders these days? Gone I tells ya.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMrtn wrote:
I just bought one - even though the site's grammar sucks. Where are the proofreaders these days? Gone I tells ya.

-------------
yep, they all left to work in the 'pubic sector' ....

Proofreader's motto - we put the L back into public!
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
WigglePig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject: Surprised... Reply with quote

As I am waiting for the new style new Lotus mouthpiece I ordered to arrive, I spotted that a local brass emporium had some of the older style new Lotus mouthpieces at a substantial discount. As I'm waiting for a 2M in bronze I decided to go mad and order the Plus model 3XL to try while I'm waiting.

Ooh.

This mouthpiece is surprisingly good! Unforgiving but the intonation is superb and the sound is huge! Last night I played for longer, higher and more dynamically than I have managed before! Whether it's the placebo effect or whether the mouthpice really is that well-designed, I cannot currently confirm, but it does seem good.

Testing continues...
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Surprised... Reply with quote

WigglePig wrote:
As I am waiting for the new style new Lotus mouthpiece I ordered to arrive, I spotted that a local brass emporium had some of the older style new Lotus mouthpieces at a substantial discount. As I'm waiting for a 2M in bronze I decided to go mad and order the Plus model 3XL to try while I'm waiting.

Ooh.

This mouthpiece is surprisingly good! Unforgiving but the intonation is superb and the sound is huge! Last night I played for longer, higher and more dynamically than I have managed before! Whether it's the placebo effect or whether the mouthpice really is that well-designed, I cannot currently confirm, but it does seem good.

Testing continues...

It sounds like for the new design they compromised some on the "unforgiving" nature of the + models.

And...FWIW they were supposed to receive 200 a day back on Tuesday. Adam would inspect them and then they'd ship out. Of course it seems like we've heard that before so I'm not really sure.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Surprised... Reply with quote

WigglePig wrote:

Ooh.

Testing continues...
These mouthpieces are very good but do have a heavy honeymoon period in my experience. I get why people say they are unforgiving, but for me they are kind of too forgiving in other ways. After a while you come back to reality and need to revisit some fundamentals. I used a 3L+ for a long time but decided the tone just wasn't quite right for me.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance anyone has gotten shipping notification for the new models?
WigglePig

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Surprised... Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
These mouthpieces are very good but do have a heavy honeymoon period in my experience. I get why people say they are unforgiving, but for me they are kind of too forgiving in other ways. After a while you come back to reality and need to revisit some fundamentals. I used a 3L+ for a long time but decided the tone just wasn't quite right for me.

I'm not sure what you mean by "come back to reality" here, can you explain please?
ERoscio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 4 of 20

Jump to: