• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lotus Mouthpieces

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Lotus Mouthpieces Reply with quote

Has anyone checked their website lately?

I bought 2 lotus mouthpieces a year ago for around 200 Euro each, now they are listed on the site for 87 euros pre-order... I'm a little bit shocked. They also reconfigured their pieces and introduced flugelhorn mouthpieces.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took a look. Very different than before and as you pointed out, much less expensive.

I’ve very recently decided on a Monette mp, but for the price, may pick up a Lotus as well. Maybe not. Might wait a bit.

Without getting into business practices, competing designs and such... on the surface it seems like their demand has decreased and pricing is the best move?
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It likely has nothing to do with decreased demand. If anything, demand is increasing as their popularity continues to grow, and offering their product at a friendlier price point will entice more buyers. The first batches of mouthpieces were made in Switzerland, but it's possible they are using a new machine shop somewhere with a lower cost of living. Doesn't really matter where the piece is made as long as the machine is precise and someone does QC before they're sold.

I just checked their website and saw that they have updated their offerings. I thought the old web layout was easier on the eyes, but I'm excited to check out some of the new models. Look like they flipped around the front bell brace and ditched the phosphor bronze stems and nickel flares as well as the C trumpets.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not in the biz, but if demand is increasing I don’t understand why you would cut prices so drastically. I wish them luck and am perfectly happy to be wrong. It’s just not something I understand.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're found a new supplier who can produce mouthpieces at the same quality as the Swiss mouthpieces at a lower price point, they don't need to charge as much to make the same profit. The lower price point will lead to more sales (assuming it really is a lower price and not just a 50% down payment), which will lead to even more profit compared to the 200 Euro Swiss-machined lotus pieces. I suppose this is all hypothetical until we know if it really is a price reduction or if its just the 50% down payment on an order.
nairamsimoes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in touch with Adam about his amazing mouthpieces. In recent conversations he told me that they redesigned the mouthpieces and are making them in Italy now. He said that they're WAY more precise & accurate to the exact recipe with zero tolerance of deviation on top of being able to bring the cost down (win win). So I'm really excited to try this new batch soon!
S.E. Shires Artist
Torpedo Bags Artist
857-218-0890
www.nairamsimoes.com
www.brassquintetrep.com
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They no longer offer the Plus model or Standard model intonation configurations. They offer only one configuration now, which they describe as being a balance between the 2.

I wonder how it would compare with the Plus model that I play on.
If anyone gets a new Lotus mouthpiece, please let us know!
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I waited four months for a 2L+, and Adam told me that it would be the 'new' version.

When I received it, it literally had 'new' stamped next to 2L +. Awesome piece, but just didn't work for me as well as some others I have, so I sold it after giving it a month.

Hoping to try out the horns someday.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the site--

"This year we've successfully managed to:​

Scale-up our production,
moving from Switzerland to Italy​, while...

improving manufacturing quality,

updating all of our designs,

adding new designs,

available in more materials,

AND cutting the price almost in half."
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting return policy. What would it cost to ship back to The Netherlands?

But you have 30 days to decide and return a mpc.

There is mention of a return option on trumpets on their Trumpets page but only mpcs are mentioned on the Returns page, FYI.

https://www.lotustrumpets.com/shipping-returns

https://www.lotustrumpets.com/copy-of-trumpets
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty tempted to order one, but having just delved into Monette I also don't want to confuse myself too much before settling in for a while.

Anyone have experience playing on both? Monette obviously discouraged jumping between their equipment and "traditional" stuff....I wonder if Lotus qualifies as "traditional". Probably not, but I do see they do have more standard throat sizes
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
From the site--

"This year we've successfully managed to:​

Scale-up our production,
moving from Switzerland to Italy

AND cutting the price almost in half."

That’s quite understandable if you realize what an incredible expensive country Switzerland is.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acritzer wrote:
I'm pretty tempted to order one, but having just delved into Monette I also don't want to confuse myself too much before settling in for a while.

Anyone have experience playing on both? Monette obviously discouraged jumping between their equipment and "traditional" stuff....I wonder if Lotus qualifies as "traditional". Probably not, but I do see they do have more standard throat sizes

I have experience with both. But Lotus just changed their mouthpieces so I can't comment on their new pieces.

Lotus plus was like Monette prana. They feel and play very similar, the main differences being the gold plate feels different and the weight of the Monette pieces feels different.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that they're shipping from the Netherlands, would I have to pay German import tax if they ship it to Germany?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a question you should ask a bunch of Americans but the local German Zollamt.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chapahi wrote:
Given that they're shipping from the Netherlands, would I have to pay German import tax if they ship it to Germany?

I don't think you'd have to pay import tax, given it's between EU countries...but a quick check with the German customs wouldn't hurt.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EU is a free market zone so no taxes (I got several times a year a shipping from Germany to Holland free of taxes).
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like everything is new and different with Lotus.
The horns are new models. No "Andy Taylor as chief engineer". So maybe another manufacturer for the horns as well.
I just bought used Lotus-mpcs for 150€. grrr..... Didn't know that everything will be new in 2021.
But what I know: The old mpc-manufacturer in Swiss was top. I can't believe that there was much improvement in the build quality. Pricewise Swiss is an expensive place. That there is room for a more interesting price level I can believe immediately.
I have a 2L+ that is stamped "NEW" but is a few months old and so I think, it is still a Swiss-made one since the new models will ship form February 1st and later. If not the quality is definitely the same. But the "NEW" is a bit different to the previous 2L+. Both very good but different. Same rim but the older version has a bit more resistance and a bit more focus in the sound.
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS For me it is a bit much of merchandise talk: everything was great and will be even greater.
I dig the products but with altering the products and prices that much a used Lotus mouthpiece looses quite much of its worth in one moment. The Nickel-Plus-Version in Germany did cost 235€! If this is the same with the horns then I will be happy that I didn't shell out 5+K Euro to buy a horn in 2020 that will be old with the start of 2021.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have info on the horns elsewhere on the website. Andy Taylor still makes the bells, but assembly is done in Poland. I don't think Taylor is machining their leadpipes. They have exact names and locations on their website in the "About Lotus" section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: