• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lotus Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pretty much run out of patience with this.

I was emailed on Jun 1st to reassure me again I would "100% get my order". With no confirmation when that would be. Not especially any different than the other updates I've had.

How fast are they getting through the 1200 or so orders? 550+ have been shipped so far according to the Jun 1 email.

So in 10 weeks since they sent an email (Mar 18th) stating "Mouthpieces are ready", they are averaging 10 a day, or less if you discount the 120 they had received by that time.

The email of Mar 18th also says "The first 120 mouthpieces have been finished and are being sent to our shipping company, set to arrive on Monday. The next few hundred will arrive shortly thereafter, followed by roughly a hundred per day until all of your orders have been sent out."

The email update of 26th April says that 650 mouthpieces had cosmetic flaws. And we are told that all the delays and remedial work has been related to the cosmetic flaws. What about all the other 550 pieces? Could they not be plated and sent out? Have they even been made?

I've been promised my mouthpieces in "a few weeks" and told "it won't be long". Then nothing for six weeks and then to be told that they still haven't done half of them...when we'd been told that only around half of them had the problem to being with.

I was supportive when I was told there was a production issue that's getting fixed in a few weeks, but tired of the it's-just-around-the-corner messaging and only ever getting an update when I ask.

I would have preferred an honest assessment and updates about the project as it goes along - it has basically been crowd-funded after all. How hard would it be to send out an update every couple of weeks? Why is it taking so long at this point? When the communication at the beginning implied they'd all be done in two or three weeks.

But it's not good when customers are report defects and issues with their orders. Flaky plating at this point? Wow. The messaging and fulfilment tell different stories.

At least they are now in a process and (even at 10 a day, rather than 100) should have a schedule and plan for when all the different models will be ready and can be shipped.

So I've asked for a delivery date and if they can't give me one, to give me a refund. I'm not desperate for the money, and would still like the pieces I ordered (then again not desperate for any more mouthpieces either!). But I don't like being strung along and so far it's a week without reply to that question.

I was sent a free gift though (it was literally described as that) - a video of Adam resonance and pitch. The gist of which seemed to be if you want a big fat sound, play flat. Maybe I was too overwhelmed with the generosity to understand that correctly.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth, my recently received Lotus mouthpiece is perfect and beautifully finished.
cgooding
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting on the bronze 3L I ordered in January. I've heard nothing about expected delivery. My custom AR Resonance took less than four weeks. Granted, Antonio clearly has his manufacturing game figured out far better than Lotus does.
I'm about at the point of cancelling as well.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimspeedjae wrote:

I was sent a free gift though (it was literally described as that) - a video of Adam resonance and pitch. The gist of which seemed to be if you want a big fat sound, play flat. Maybe I was too overwhelmed with the generosity to understand that correctly.

Yeah, that free gift. Almost an insult that. I'd have preferred a timely delivery of the product I paid for. But that's just me. I got a refund instead.

It feels to me as if Lotus is scrambling like crazy at the backend to get it all done, having made the mistake of rushing to the market first. I'm rootin' for them, but I will wait and see.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly don’t begrudge anyone that’s lost patience. Lotus haven’t done themselves any favors for developing a strong reputation on consistency or expediency.
I will, however, strengthen my stance on how good the mouthpieces are. My Monette B3S3 hasn’t been used for a while now. The 3L bronze beats it in many ways. Certain troublesome notes are now laying in nicely, high E and Eb for example. No longer horribly flat. Great tonal range, flexibility, easy upper register, very full low register, etc.

Just seems like a great great design.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried every mouthpiece out there but I will say the new Lotus 1L is the first mouthpiece that I've ever been able to play a nice sounding pedal C open fingering, as well as a nice sounding Double C. I've never been able to play an open pedal C on B-flat trumpet really until now. I'll take credit for putting in some good practice lately, but this mouthpiece has been a good copilot on that journey.
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'll revisit when they have them in stock. But unlikely.

They couldn't guarantee a delivery date, estimating a couple of weeks and promising to prioritise my order. Which seems like a nice thing to do, but only pushes someone else down the list.

So refund asked for, and provided graciously.
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new 2S, 2M and 2L now. Very good mouthpieces with nice colors in the sound. The shipping, the development of the production line while taking orders and the pr might be a bit to "creative" but the product is real. I bought all my mpcs used as new from people cross Europe that didn't choose the right size. Happy me.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all-

I can certainly understand people's frustrations with the delay in the delivery of their Lotus mouthpiece orders.

I felt these same frustrations prior to receiving my Lotus mouthpiece a couple of weeks ago. And the lack of regular updates and slow responses from the company to inquiries didn't help. But...

My Lotus mouthpiece is truly exceptional, and I think that buyers cancelling their orders (or not ordering in the first place) because of delays and mix-ups by Lotus may essentially be "cutting off their noses to spite their faces".

Sure, cancelling can send a message to Lotus that you are unhappy with the way they are doing business. But is that worth giving up the opportunity to at least try a Lotus mouthpiece?

With a little patience you may end up with a mouthpiece that really helps your playing, as I did!
irememberchet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Lotus Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I am very frustrated with the way Lotus has handled their ordering process, communication with the mouthpiece buyer, and delivery of the finished product.

I ordered a single Lotus mouthpiece many months ago to give it a try. I have no idea how the mouthpiece plays, because I have all but given up on ever actually receiving my order.

There has been excuse after excuse, delay after delay, and no communication from Lotus whatsoever UNLESS I wrote to them asking where the hell my mouthpiece is. Dealing with them has been a miserable experience.

Their communication has been non existent, and I have heard every excuse known to mankind why they can't deliver their mouthpiece orders, on time and as promised.

I told Lotus that I very nearly ordered a brand new trumpet from them, but based on their very poor customer service and poor track record with my mouthpiece order, I will never buy one of their horns.

I was in the business world for many years, and if we had done business this way, we would have been OUT OF BUSINESS!
1940 Martin Handcraft Committee #3 Large Bore
Yamaha 8335 LA II Bergeron Custom
Yamaha 8340 EM Eric Miyashiro
Schilke Handcraft HC1
Taylor Phatboy Flugelhorn
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
Hello all-

I can certainly understand people's frustrations with the delay in the delivery of their Lotus mouthpiece orders.

I felt these same frustrations prior to receiving my Lotus mouthpiece a couple of weeks ago. And the lack of regular updates and slow responses from the company to inquiries didn't help. But...

My Lotus mouthpiece is truly exceptional, and I think that buyers cancelling their orders (or not ordering in the first place) because of delays and mix-ups by Lotus may essentially be "cutting off their noses to spite their faces".

Sure, cancelling can send a message to Lotus that you are unhappy with the way they are doing business. But is that worth giving up the opportunity to at least try a Lotus mouthpiece?

With a little patience you may end up with a mouthpiece that really helps your playing, as I did!

With a little patience you may end up with a ticket that wins the Powerball lottery, assuming you don't run out of money to buy Powerball tickets first.

Mouthpieces purchased sight unseen are a lot like buying a lottery ticket. You might like some things about the mouthpiece but the chances it will really cure all your problems are effectively zero.

There are so many choices in mouthpieces you can get virtually anything you want without ever contacting Lotus and if Lotus never delivers your mouthpiece and you continue waiting instead of exploring other excellent options you've wasted valuable time.

There is too much emphasis placed on equipment. There are no magic mouthpieces.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I was wrong to assume that most people could spare a hundred and fifty or so dollars essentially in escrow while awaiting delivery of their Lotus mouthpieces, without being precluded from trying other mouthpiece choices in the meantime.

I never suggested waiting with baited breath for a Lotus mouthpiece and giving up "exploring other excellent options and wasting valuable time". I mean, can't a player do both?

I would not be wasting my own time going back and forth with other posters if I did not think my new Lotus mouthpiece was truly special. It is not a magic mouthpiece, but it has sure made a noticable difference in my playing after a few days of acclimation.

It is truly something different in feel and response compared to any of the myriad mouthpieces I have tried and played in the past. It is not just like trying another mouthpiece...

Maybe I am wasting my time trying to be altruistic and wanting other players to experience what I have, but I have never been this enthusiastic about a mouthpiece before.

Again, unless you really need the money, why not continue to be patient while in the meantime exploring other equipment options?

And don't forget, you can return your Lotus mouthpiece if you don't like it.

Steve
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
Maybe I was wrong to assume that most people could spare a hundred and fifty or so dollars essentially in escrow while awaiting delivery of their Lotus mouthpieces, without being precluded from trying other mouthpiece choices in the meantime.

I never suggested waiting with baited breath for a Lotus mouthpiece and giving up "exploring other excellent options and wasting valuable time". I mean, can't a player do both?

I would not be wasting my own time going back and forth with other posters if I did not think my new Lotus mouthpiece was truly special. It is not a magic mouthpiece, but it has sure made a noticable difference in my playing after a few days of acclimation.

It is truly something different in feel and response compared to any of the myriad mouthpieces I have tried and played in the past. It is not just like trying another mouthpiece...

Maybe I am wasting my time trying to be altruistic and wanting other players to experience what I have, but I have never been this enthusiastic about a mouthpiece before.

Again, unless you really need the money, why not continue to be patient while in the meantime exploring other equipment options?

And don't forget, you can return your Lotus mouthpiece if you don't like it.

Steve
I agree with all of your points 100%!
lotherro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would appreciate, for anyone who has the time, a more detailed review of their mouthpiece(s), especially a comparison with the 1st generation ones. For reference, I have 1XL+ brass, and am thinking of getting the same size or material (or in maybe bronze) to see what the differences are. Anything along those lines would be great if you guys have the time and leisure.
Lotus 1L Nickel-Silver 2.0
Lotus 1XL+ Brass 1.0
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lotherro wrote:
I would appreciate, for anyone who has the time, a more detailed review of their mouthpiece(s), especially a comparison with the 1st generation ones. For reference, I have 1XL+ brass, and am thinking of getting the same size or material (or in maybe bronze) to see what the differences are. Anything along those lines would be great if you guys have the time and leisure.
The new pieces are ever-so-slightly longer shank than the old Plus. The cups are slightly deeper. The throat is slightly tighter. I don't know the specifics but this is what they told me when I asked them, and can confirm from playing the old plus models compared to a new 1L. Just some slight tweaks. I personally think they actually did improve the mouthpieces. My piece also came with a more scalloped blank than the old ones, I don't know if they're all like that or just the batch that got messed up. The silver plate seems a little bit shinier and thicker.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lotherro wrote:

I haven't played the old models or the XL cup. But I can say there is a definite difference between the brass and the bronze. I have the 3L in both materials. The bronze is warmer and more subtle. The brass is a little more up front and easier to get edge. All other playing qualities are equal between the two, other than tone color.
And I will continue to say that the Lotus has been the most in tune for me with troublesome notes. High E and Eb were horribly flat for me on my Pickett 5C, better but still flat on Monette B3S3, spot on with the Lotus.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Winghorn wrote:
Hello all-

With a little patience you may end up with a ticket that wins the Powerball lottery, assuming you don't run out of money to buy Powerball tickets first.

Mouthpieces purchased sight unseen are a lot like buying a lottery ticket. You might like some things about the mouthpiece but the chances it will really cure all your problems are effectively zero.

There are so many choices in mouthpieces you can get virtually anything you want without ever contacting Lotus and if Lotus never delivers your mouthpiece and you continue waiting instead of exploring other excellent options you've wasted valuable time.

There is too much emphasis placed on equipment. There are no magic mouthpieces.

I'm not sure I follow your thoughts here. You don't want someone to wait for a Lotus piece because they should try other things, but you also say there's too much emphasis on equipment? Aren't all mouthpiece purchases a "chance"? Unless you've been able to play them ahead of time?
ERoscio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would focus more on the shady practices their business, we already know they have no clue on how to make the products and how to run a business by now, they are literally using the customer base as a test ground.

Me, a few friends of mine in Europe and a shop have tried over and over to obtain an invoice from Lotus for a product that all of us aren’t really happy with anyway.
Charles Wagner told us, in various forms, that they would have sent the mouthpiece with a fake customs declaration to avoid paying VAT and duties.
They say it works most of the times and that is their standard business practice.
We asked for a real invoice, many times. In the end Henrik Grahn told some of us that a generic PayPal screenshot is all we will ever get.
There is literally no way to get a proper invoice with a sum, a company name, a registration number, an address, a tax rate or anything that will make it possible for us to write the cost off.

I would love to know if any of you got a real invoice.
Not a PayPal payment confirmation, that is NOT a valid invoice.

What’s your experience?
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just guessing, if you didn't pay tax on your purchase, that is why they don't want to send an invoice. Which is not really an excuse, because goods shipped outside of Europe aren't taxed within Europe. Maybe they don't know how to do the accounting work? If you did pay the full European price stated on their website for sales within Europe, then ignore this post.
ERoscio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m puzzled myself: they say that everything is proudly made by Italian, Polish and Dutch companies.
So it’s an European product shipped from the Netherlands (still Europe).
This means that an invoice must be issued and VAT must be charged, there’s no way around that.
I have no way to know if they charged VAT because after several requests done over several weeks I still haven’t received one.
And if the goods are shipped outside Europe there still needs to be a proper invoice with the real value so that VAT and customs duties can be applied from the tax offices on the destination country.
So, an invoice is due in any case and a real declaration of the true value.
Any European here?
And US customer?
What’s your experience?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 11 of 20

Jump to: