• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

British Cornet MP: Pickett or Wick

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyler.slamkowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: British Cornet MP: Pickett or Wick Reply with quote

Any opinions on Denis Wick vs. Pickett Brass for traditional British V-cup cornet mouthpieces? I play Pickett on my trumpets and like them a lot. Just curious if Pickett actually knows how to make a cornet mp as well or if I should just stick with the tried & true Denis Wick. Thanks!
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the Pickett British cups to be outstanding - very characteristic brass band sound with far better playability (response, overall intonation, etc.) than Wick. Wick cornet pieces have not worked for me other than their soprano mouthpiece, so I may not be the best person to compare. But if you already know the Pickett rim works for you, it makes the Pickett British mouthpiece a very safe choice.
tyler.slamkowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattdalton wrote:
I find the Pickett British cups to be outstanding - very characteristic brass band sound with far better playability (response, overall intonation, etc.) than Wick. Wick cornet pieces have not worked for me other than their soprano mouthpiece, so I may not be the best person to compare. But if you already know the Pickett rim works for you, it makes the Pickett British mouthpiece a very safe choice.

Thank you for your thoughts! That was very straightforward and helpful.
Justin_Smith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: British Cornet MP: Pickett or Wick Reply with quote

tyler.slamkowski wrote:
Any opinions on Denis Wick vs. Pickett Brass for traditional British V-cup cornet mouthpieces? I play Pickett on my trumpets and like them a lot. Just curious if Pickett actually knows how to make a cornet mp as well or if I should just stick with the tried & true Denis Wick. Thanks!

I use a Pickett 1.25 British Ned most of the cornet players in our brass band are using that mouthpiece. I prefer it to a wick. I also have a Yamaha David King mouthpiece I like. It feels similar to a wick 4 size but plays great for me too.

Justin Smith🎺
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Pickett. It’s no contest, a great mouthpiece maker v. Well, who the hell knows? There is so much not right about Wick mouthpieces there is no time to cover it all.

FWIW, I have only 1 Pickett mpc, and it’s great. When in a co petting brass band years ago, and we all had to play Wick mpcs, I had no end of trouble finding one that worked… some of us had other mouthpieces skeletonised so they looked like a Wick, but was in reality another mpc altogether.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently playing a Warburton BC series mouthpiece. Due to a lip/facial injury. it was the easiest way to get a very big mouthpiece. Throat is small, but with the right backbore it balances nicely.

PS: The reason the throats are so big on the wicks is to raise the pitch, the low pitch being caused by the very deep cups. I think that's why they often feel unstable. They are out of balance in themselves and rely on being in the right instrument to get the balance right.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
PS: The reason the throats are so big on the wicks is to raise the pitch, the low pitch being caused by the very deep cups. I think that's why they often feel unstable. They are out of balance in themselves and rely on being in the right instrument to get the balance right.

Well said, Sir!

May your fishing trips be full of catch and your lovely Wick sinkers never be lost on snags… (I do admit to seeding wreck with them)
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Wick and Pickett British Cup mouthpieces. The Pickett gets the right sound with much easier playability.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Interesting observation. I was playing my York Eminence cornet yesterday using either a Wick 2 or Wick 2B. Both work extremely well in the horn. Other mouthpieces not so much, either due to intonation issues or just general stuffiness. The Wick mouthpieces have been the answer for many people over the years playing BBB style cornets that I've known. Were the horns designed for the mouthpieces or the mouthpieces designed for the horns?

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
JohnO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of related, I play a trumpet Pickett 3C. I will be playing more cornet, so is ordering the cornet 3C a pretty safe bet? Cornet is a Yamaha 6330 used in a large wind ensemble and not a BBB. Thanks.
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you don't need to play a British cup in a wind ensemble, I would vote for something deeper than a C cup so that the cornet part will sound different than the trumpets.

Having the same rim with a bit deeper cup would still be a safe bet. I don't have experience with the non-British Pickett cornet cups to advise you as to exactly which cup, but perhaps others can chime in on that.
JohnO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Matt. That was helpful.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Curry BBC.
tyler.slamkowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick note for everyone: I ended up getting a Pickett 3 and have really enjoyed playing it. The rim is comfortable. I prefer it to the Denis Wick 4 that I tried.

That being said, I am going to test the medium shallow option when I am in Lexington at the end of the month so I have a little more support in the upper register (I use my cornet for small group jazz occasionally).
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it is working well for you, Tyler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: