• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New mouthpiece

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beanboy128

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: New mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hey yall. I've been putting in my practice, getting my lessons, but I think it's time i get myself a big boy mouthpiece. I know monette is pretty popular. I've also seen people recommend pickett, warburton and lotus among other things. Any suggestions for a nice mp?
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the ones you mentioned - plus many more - are great mouthpieces; so, the question really becomes about what you want to gain from a switch. What are you currently playing on? What does it do well? What does it do poorly? Pick a manufacturer and contact them directly for a consult. It might be hard right now, but if you can actually try a mouthpiece before buying you might save a lot of money.

FWIW, I've been through various GRs, a couple of Storks, a really nice Laskey, and have a Reeves 42M for commercial playing. Right now the one working the best for me is a Bach 5C. So, you don't have to spend a lot to find something that works for you!

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for The juiciest, darkest mouthpiece.
Beanboy128

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:

HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any mouthpiece that works for you is a "nice" mouthpiece regardless of the brand or model. There is nothing automatically better for you or better for anyone based on brand name alone.

Here's a link to a list of player/horn combinations that also lists mouthpieces. It's readily apparent from the list that there is an enormous variation in the mouthpieces played by great players.

http://www.ojtrumpet.net/playerhorn/

There are a lot of misconceptions about mouthpieces and there is a lot of "snake oil" used in marketing them. Certainly, it's in the best interests of mouthpiece sales to get players obsessed with the idea that their problems are being caused by their mouthpiece and to convince them that there is some mouthpiece that will cure all of the problems. Factually, unless you're playing a mouthpiece that clearly doesn't fit you and is clearly impeding your results changing to something else is a process of tweaking results rather than experiencing a total epiphany.

My recommendation is always to first identify a cup diameter that fits your embouchure, one that is wide enough that you don't have to cram things in but narrow enough that you're not falling into it. Usually there is a range of cup diameters that adequately fit your embouchure. You just have to try them to make an accurate evaluation.

The next step is to determine where you want to be in the spectrum of bright to dark. Cup depth affects those results and, again, you really have to try them to make an accurate evaluation.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that there is a big range of differences in players so two different players can play the same mouthpiece yet get much different results in terms of ease/difficulty of play and sound. So, you can't really rely totally on recommendations or reports of experiences.

The makers you've listed all make quality mouthpieces. So does Bach. It's not how much they cost that determines whether one is better than another. It's how well they fit you and what results you get.

I've played Reeves mouthpieces for over 45 years. I've played only 3 models during that time: First 42S (for about 25 years), then 43M (for a couple of months) and then 43D (for the past 20 years or so). I made the changes to get a bigger, fuller, more resonant sound. I'm not interested in playing the lead book in a big band (I was mostly playing big band for the first 25 years). I'm an improvisational jazz soloist and I want a big, full, resonant sound. I've achieved that to my satisfaction with the 43D. I'll never change to anything else.

Every player is different so I encourage you to try mouthpieces out and reach your own conclusions. That being said, it's not uncommon for a player to try a mouthpiece and declare it "the answer" and then, a month later after the "honeymoon" is over decide it's not for them and then continue searching. If the mouthpiece fits and is giving you good results but not what you consider to be perfect results you should still consider giving it more time as you continue to adapt to it. It can take patience.

Just remember that there is no mouthpiece that will be perfect for you every day and every time. That's because your chops change from day to day and as you play in terms of hydration, swelling and other factors. So, the fit is constantly changing, making all mouthpieces variable rather than rock solid consistent in your response to them.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:

Without knowing anything else; the genre he wants to use it for or his experience level? I guess bigger and darker is automatically better?

Come on.

Brad
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting what people want, or think they want, in mouthpieces and, for that matter, in trumpets. For what it's worth, and this just applies to me so it may not resonate with others, the most important thing for me in a mouthpiece or horn is the ease of playing, the responsiveness and flexibility.

My sound is my sound, just as Wynton's sound is his sound, Clark's sound was his sound, Maynard's sound was his sound, Clifford's sound was his sound and your sound is your sound. Yes, the sound can be tweaked by the mouthpiece or by the horn but the sound is still essentially the sound of the player. I might add, the audience probably can't tell the difference and if they can they probably don't care because they don't even realize that there is a difference.

So, what I'm saying is that when I choose equipment I'm choosing it for me, not for an audience, and the #1 thing I'm interested in is ease of playing, the responsiveness and flexibility.

To the extent a mouthpiece or trumpet promotes ease of playing, promotes responsiveness and flexibility, these things depend on the player and the combination of the mouthpiece and horn. We don't all agree on what the combination or even the individual components are because we are all different in our physiology, playing approach, etc. If there was a magic formula that applied to everyone we'd all be playing the same mouthpiece and horn, at least in the pursuit of ease of playing, response and flexibility.

I'll give an example. I recently purchased a Schagerl Killer Queen flugelhorn from Trent Austin. I went to his shop to play test a Ganschhorn because he didn't have a Killer Queen flugelhorn in stock and I at least wanted to get a feel for the ergonomics since the Killer Queen and Ganschhorn are similar in that regard. The ergonomics were reasonable and, of course, the horns are very cool. So, I ordered the Killer Queen without testing one. I wasn't concerned about playing characteristics. I'm a "pick it up and play it" player, I can play any decent horn in good working condition. The Killer Queen turned out to be awesome. I'm extremely happy with it.

When I arrived to see Trent he had a lot of horns laid out for me to try. They were all satisfactory horns for me. I have over 50 horns in my collection so I wasn't really interested in buying another horn other than maybe a Ganschhorn or a Killer Queen. Still, it was nice to be able to experience a variety of horns.

That all being said, it's really an eye opener to all of a sudden pick up a horn that is so easy to play, so responsive and flexible, that you play two notes and bust out laughing. My wife was there, too, and of course she listens to me a lot. I picked up one of the horns (which I'll identify in a moment), played just a couple of notes and got a "whoa" reaction from her. I had the same reaction.

The horn was the BACB collaborative trumpet. A shocking difference. FOR ME this horn was effortless and instantaneously responsive. FOR ME.

I don't know why this particular horn was so ridiculous in terms of ease of play, response and flexibility FOR ME. That's the operative expression: FOR ME. Horn? Mouthpiece? Player? Combination? I don't know. I have trumpets (a very few) that are similar in ease of play, response and flexibility. But FOR ME, if I was looking for a new horn, I'd be taking a hard look at the BACB collaborative even though I can't tell you the specifics of why it was so easy to play. Maybe Trent can.

My point, is that FOR ME ease of playing, response and flexibility is #1 by far. That's what I'm looking for above everything else when I choose a mouthpiece. I'm looking for a sound concept as well but getting the sound concept but not getting ease of play, response and flexibility is not a satisfactory solution for me.

So, to the OP, the most important difference in mouthpieces is the ease, response and flexibility you get in playing them. If you try out a mouthpiece and it isn't easier, more responsive and more flexible than what you're already playing on why would you want it? No mouthpiece gives you high chops you don't already have and if you can't play the new mouthpiece as well as you played your old mouthpiece, if you don't have better ease of play, response and flexibility with the new mouthpiece then, in my view, all the sound difference in the world won't matter.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
delano wrote:

Without knowing anything else; the genre he wants to use it for or his experience level? I guess bigger and darker is automatically better?

Come on.

Brad

I have the strong feeling that you are 'looking for me' obviously to teach me a lesson. Nothing wrong with that but better choose your opportunity carefully:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155677

but, mr. Brad, you are of course free to write a few pages with all your knowledge of mouthpieces including genre, style, level of experience and more. But don't blame me that I preferred a short and an, in my opinion, more to the point answer.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
delano wrote:

Come on.

Brad

I have the strong feeling that you are 'looking for me' obviously to teach me a lesson. Nothing wrong with that but better choose your opportunity carefully:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155677

but, mr. Brad, you are of course free to write a few pages with all your knowledge of mouthpieces including genre, style, level of experience and more. But don't blame me that I preferred a short and an, in my opinion, more to the point answer.

“Looking for you”?? Because I have disagreed with you more than once? Honestly, WHY would I take the time to “write a few pages”, your opinions are just not that important to me.

If that’s how you see this, whatever man.

Brad
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what your teacher tells you. jw
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beanboy128 wrote:
I think it's time i get myself a big boy mouthpiece.

Do you feel your current mouthpiece isn't adequate? More expensive mouthpieces aren't neccesarily better than what you have. There's potentially a 'better' mouthpiece out there, but that doesn't have to be an expensive one. Unlike trumpets, there's no such thing as a 'professional level' mouthpiece that you should upgrade to. Your ultimate piece could be a Chinese Bach copy from AliBaba for all we know.

Beanboy128 wrote:
Any suggestions for a nice mp?

My personal favorite is AR Resonance, but I'd strongly recommend trying them before you make a purchase. They're quite expensive (as are some of the other brands you mentioned) and they may play differently, which may not be to your liking and then it's a big chunk of cash down the drain...

wilder wrote:
Do what your teacher tells you.

When it comes to mouthpieces, that's probably the worst advice to give, second only to 'person X plays this mouthpiece and so should you'.

Your teacher may be able to help you find a good mouthpiece when you're going out to try a bunch of them (in general, it's a good thing to have someone listen to you and give feedback when trying mouthpieces) but playing what your teacher tells you to isn't a good idea. They can only tell you how you sound, they cannot assess how the mouthpiece feels or how nice it is to play, simply because they're not physically you.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Brad361"
“Looking for you”?? Because I have disagreed with you more than once? Honestly, WHY would I take the time to “write a few pages”, your opinions are just not that important to me.

If that’s how you see this, whatever man.
Brad[/quote]

You cannot disagree with me because I did not give ANY opinion in my post so there is no possibility to disagree.
My post was a subtle hint to the OP. If you had opened the link I gave, you could have seen that the OP asked therein for advice about 'the juiciest darkest mouthpiece' so I gave that back to him on this occasion. It was not an opinion, far from that.

But the second layer of my post is the possibility that the OP is trolling and therefor I feel pity for all the members here that write pages full of 'good advice' about mouthpieces, pearls before swines. But my sympathy goes with the OP.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilder wrote:
Do what your teacher tells you. jw

Your teacher can't play the mouthpiece for you on your chops. So there is no way your teacher can know with precision what is going to work best for you. Your teacher can make recommendations and can listen to you and give you feedback but there's no adequate substitute for trying out mouthpieces on your own and evaluating them on your own in terms of ease of play, response, flexibility and how well you produce your desired sound/sound concept.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
Beanboy128 wrote:
I think it's time i get myself a big boy mouthpiece.

More expensive mouthpieces aren't neccesarily better than what you have.

So why buy them anyway?

Beanboy128 wrote:
Any suggestions for a nice mp?

My personal favorite is AR Resonance,

How did you get to the Resonance mouthpieces? I know Marcel Schot (Pfeiffer) is a dealer in Holland but could you try there the whole range of mouthpieces? Did you anyhow try them before buying? Did you try a lot of other mouthpieces to make a comparison?

wilder wrote:

When it comes to mouthpieces, that's probably the worst advice to give, second only to 'person X plays this mouthpiece and so should you'.

So if person X plays and recommends AR Resonance mouthpieces, that should be the worst advice? Further: not true, a good teacher knows what a student can handle so he has a certain role in mouthpiece choice. If a student has a preference for a 'big boy' mouthpiece it may be the right time for a teacher to intervene.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
hibidogrulez wrote:
More expensive mouthpieces aren't neccesarily better than what you have.

So why buy them anyway?

Because they are better...for me. But I know kehaulani tried them and they didn't work for him. So I do not wish to claim they're the end-and-all to all trumpet playing. My comment was meant to advise to the OP to not only look for expensive mouthpieces and expect them to simply be better because they're 'professional'.

delano wrote:
How did you get to the Resonance mouthpieces? I know Marcel Schot (Pfeiffer) is a dealer in Holland but could you try there the whole range of mouthpieces? Did you anyhow try them before buying? Did you try a lot of other mouthpieces to make a comparison?

It's a long story that I intend to write a separate post about, but haven't gotten round to it. In short, I did try them. Extensively, more than I did other mouthpieces. And while Pfeiffer doesn't stock the whole range, they had enough parts to try a lot of combinations. I've compared them to other mouthpieces before and (months later) after the purchase, and the AR ones stuck out positively. There's a reason why I often write that 'Bach style pieces don't work for me anymore'.

delano wrote:

wilder wrote:

hibidogrulez wrote:

So if person X plays and recommends AR Resonance mouthpieces, that should be the worst advice? Further: not true, a good teacher knows what a student can handle so he has a certain role in mouthpiece choice. If a student has a preference for a 'big boy' mouthpiece it may be the right time for a teacher to intervene.

Yes, that's more or less what I wrote isn't it? I'm not telling people to buy AR mouthpieces, I'm informing them that I find they're worth trying. And I did point out the value of the teacher in the mouthpiece selection process, but the student shouldn't buy a particular mouthpiece because their teacher (or any renowned professional) says so. Apart from that, we don't even know who the OP's teacher is. For all we know, it's a violinist director for his big band that once heard a classical muscian say that Bach 5A cups are the best.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilder wrote:

hibidogrulez wrote:

It seems that your initial post needs a translation.

Above: 'the worst advice' seems to mean: there is certainly a substantial role for the teacher in mouthpiece choice.

You tried 'some' mouthpieces. And AR Resonance came out as best. 'Some mouthpieces? Big Boys mouthpieces? Did you try Monette, Lotus, GR, Picket? Or just Bach? AR favorite compared to what?

But now my main reason for this long post: so you came up with Bach, they are 'not your thing'.
This is a cliché that has some popularity here (in the traditonal TH Bach-bashing play), but the collection of Bach mouthpieces covers 89 standard models, 10 Artisan, 8 commercial and 15 megatone models. And you can get every mp with 9 special back bores and 8 different throats. How many did you try?

BTW mr. Vincent Bach is the creator of the modern brass mouthpiece ( so not only for trumpet) and almost every great player from the past played for at least some time (with exception of the high notes specialists) a Bach mouthpiece. Chris Botti, Thomas Gansch and Arturo Sandoval still play them in completely different styles and with different sounds so they will not be too bad even for different tastes.

If I remember well you played for years and years on a Bach 1 1/4 C with no good results. The AR Resonance came for you as a miracle. But a 1 1/4 C is a very big mouthpiece, not for the faint-hearted. Did it ever came to your mind to try a more middle of the road one? I am not surprised that the AR came as an improvement. But I think that a lot of big band and commercial trumpet players have more benefit with a smaller throat than a #21 or a #19 and also with a more tight back bore, let's say something like a Warburton 5 or 6. The reality is that 'big boy' mouthpieces need big boys to play them.

For the record I play mostly Yamaha mouthpieces on trumpet and cornet, sometimes Warburton on both. I consider them Bach variations. On rotary trumpet Breslmair, on rotary flügel Bruno Tilz.
And yes, I know that the OP's question is not serious.

Last edited by delano on Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:

Above: 'the worst advice' seems to mean: there is certainly a substantial role for the teacher in mouthpiece choice.

My apologies, I should have worded it like this: "the worst mouthpiece advice is to blindly accept the word of someone else without at least trying said mouthpiece for yourself and verifying that it is indeed, a good choice for you". I hope you at least understand what I meant to write, even if I didn't write it correctly.

As for the rest of your post, short of my poor choice of the term 'Bach-style' (maybe I should've written 'traditional', 'mainstream' or 'Bach variation' instead) I'm not sure what you're accusing me of. You're asking me for my reasons and when I give them, you're telling me that my preference is wrong because I don't prefer Bach?

Last edited by deleted_user_687c31b on Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not accusing you of anything. But I have the strong suspicion that your choice for the AR Resonance has no good foundation, more specific that you also went for a big boy mouthpiece instead of orientating yourself about what's optimum for you.
And I am a soldier against the Bach mouthpiece bashing.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Did it ever came to your mind to try a more middle of the road one?

Yes, on multiple occasions. I was quite happy with the mouthpieces I had before AR and the only reason I went to try them at all was because I was curious how they'd affect my sound, given that they were 'different'. I didn't have any intention to buy them before I tried them, believe it or not.

My former mouthpiece list includes:
Bob Reeves 3C
Bach 1 1/4C
Bach 1 1/2 C
Stomvi Classic 1C
Arnolds & Sons 7C
Best Brass Groove 7E

not to mention the long list of other mouthpieces I've tried when purchasing the above. Other than the Bach 1 1/4C (which was bought on recommendation), they were picked as best suitable from 10-20 similar mouthpieces of all kinds of brands that the shop where the purchase was made had available, including many actual Bachs. And that's not even accounting for the trips I made where I didn't buy anything, or trying a fellow player's gear (that was way before Covid-19).

delano wrote:
I am not accusing you of anything. But I have the strong suspicion that your choice for the AR Resonance has no good foundation, more specific that you also went for a big boy mouthpiece instead of orientating yourself about what's optimum for you.

Your suspicion is false. For all the above mouthpieces (which are more traditional in the sense of backbore, throat size and rim shape), and I've recorded myself many times to verify it, my sound has a certain 'nasal quality' to it that the AR mouthpieces are lacking. And believe me, I've been dreading the whole 'honeymoon phase' thing...you wouldn't believe how much recordings I've made and how many people I've (repetitively) asked for feedback.

delano wrote:
And I am a soldier against the Bach mouthpiece bashing

Your weapons are aimed at the wrong target. Bach-style mouthpieces are obviously fine and I'd never fault another player for playing or preferring one.

Last edited by deleted_user_687c31b on Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
delano wrote:

My apologies, I should have worded it like this: "the worst mouthpiece advice is to blindly accept the word of someone else without at least trying said mouthpiece for yourself and verifying that it is indeed, a good choice for you". I hope you at least understand what I meant to write, even if I didn't write it correctly.

As for the rest of your post, short of my poor choice of the term 'Bach-style' (maybe I should've written 'traditional', 'mainstream' or 'Bach variation' instead) I'm not sure what you're accusing me of. You're asking me for my reasons and when I give them, you're telling me that my preference is wrong because I don't prefer Bach?

So if I have a student that is eight years old, and I tell him he needs to play on X mouthpiece because they literally have no clue, and then they tell me, they don't think it's a good choice....what do I do then? "No problem, young student, if that Schilke 6A4A feels better for you, go right ahead!"

Are you saying trust your teacher, unless it involves mouthpiece selection?

I'm not trying to stir anything up. But someone commented to do what your teacher says, and you said that's the worst advice ever. I'm trying to understand how that rates as the worst advice ever when damn near every go to solution is...ask your teacher. What if that teacher recommends you play on the mouthpiece he plays? By the way, my teacher who is kinda of a big deal...plays on a Bach MV3C. As an eight year old, should I have told him, "I don't feel that's a good choice for me, Dave?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: