• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tips for worn out chops.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshRzepka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Tips for worn out chops. Reply with quote

Hey everyone, here is my newest video.

If you ever find yourself with worn out chops, here are a few tips to help you out!

Link

Denis Wick Artist
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Josh, exactly how do you define "worn out chops?" Is it pain? Is it muscle fatigue? Is it an injury? What, specifically, is the definition of "worn out chops?"

I don't know that "things not working very well" is necessarily a product of "worn out chops." To me, "worn out" indicates a physical impairment.

A lot of what you recommend is helpful in any situation, not just in the situation of "worn out chops." Thus, my question of specifically how you define "worn out chops" for the purposes of your video.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed this one. I think these are very good tips and you are spot on that when the chops do not feel right we focus on them. The are very good ideas.
The thing I might add to this is doing things outside of your practice time to relax your chops (horse lips, etc., stretches). That also goes a long way to help them recover.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
JoshRzepka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Hey Josh, exactly how do you define "worn out chops?" Is it pain? Is it muscle fatigue? Is it an injury? What, specifically, is the definition of "worn out chops?"

I don't know that "things not working very well" is necessarily a product of "worn out chops." To me, "worn out" indicates a physical impairment.

A lot of what you recommend is helpful in any situation, not just in the situation of "worn out chops." Thus, my question of specifically how you define "worn out chops" for the purposes of your video.

For me "worn out chops" is how I might feel on a sunday morning warming up for a matinee after having played demanding rehearsals and shows friday night, sat afternoon, and then sat evening. Perhaps a little bit soft, maybe a little swollen, maybe a bit stiff (less responsive than usual?). Perhaps slightly over-extended would also be a way to describe?

Not pain. Nothing that's causing true pain or discomfort (that's when you need time off), just not feeling fresh from the get-go.
Denis Wick Artist
JoshRzepka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon wrote:
Excellent Josh!!

Thanks!!
Denis Wick Artist
JoshRzepka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
Enjoyed this one. I think these are very good tips and you are spot on that when the chops do not feel right we focus on them. The are very good ideas.
The thing I might add to this is doing things outside of your practice time to relax your chops (horse lips, etc., stretches). That also goes a long way to help them recover.

Thanks! I appreciate you checking it out.

Yes!! Those are also great.

I could have probable added beer to the list ... lol

That's for another video 😂😂
Denis Wick Artist
mdiceman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent information!!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good information here. I have the Don Jacoby book, and he talks about some of these concepts there - basically, air and sound are key, so if you've banged yourself up with some hard playing the day before that focusing on air is the way to reset so that you can play if you don't have the ability to rest your chops.

I had an Easter gig one year where I was also playing in a Latin Band. I hammered my chops the night before, and when I got to the gig the next day, my chops were feeling super fuzzy, and slightly swollen. I did the only thing I could do, and focused on air and sound. I thought that the gig was going to be a disaster, (this was based in part on the rehearsal, which went ok, but I was struggling) but ultimately I ended up playing VERY well.

It's been a long time since I've been in that situation, but there are ways to get through if you absolutely can't give your chops a rest.

Nice vid!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
JoshRzepka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdiceman wrote:
Excellent information!!

Thanks! Glad you dug it.
Denis Wick Artist
JoshRzepka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Lots of good information here. I have the Don Jacoby book, and he talks about some of these concepts there - basically, air and sound are key, so if you've banged yourself up with some hard playing the day before that focusing on air is the way to reset so that you can play if you don't have the ability to rest your chops.

I had an Easter gig one year where I was also playing in a Latin Band. I hammered my chops the night before, and when I got to the gig the next day, my chops were feeling super fuzzy, and slightly swollen. I did the only thing I could do, and focused on air and sound. I thought that the gig was going to be a disaster, (this was based in part on the rehearsal, which went ok, but I was struggling) but ultimately I ended up playing VERY well.

It's been a long time since I've been in that situation, but there are ways to get through if you absolutely can't give your chops a rest.

Nice vid!

Thanks!!

Yes your Easter gig story is a perfect example.

I've been in that situation a few times ... it happened more often when I was younger and playing salsa gigs. Such fun gigs, but they really can be quite demanding.
Denis Wick Artist
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Josh; Nice vid about recovery from warn out chops..I agree with all you said,however I would like to add a few more things.
Drinking lots of water:Upon waking up, a glass of cold water every 1/2 hour.
Not only will the cold water help with puffiness,but then when we urinate, we are helping to get rid of lactic acids.Try it, it helps.
Warming up on a C trumpet; For some reason,after a relaxed warm up on C tpt (with rests) when moving to the Bb tpt, the notes seem to speak easier..Weird but its worked for me.
As far as breath attacks,I`v taken that further to a thing that can be named Pre- air..So we puff a relaxed stream of air into mouthpiece(and trumpet)with lips just slightly not touching,and blow a no vibration stream of air for say,10 seconds..then on the same stream,bring lips together (dont press) and let the sound eminate on its own..after that,repeat the same thing a bunch of times..You will hopefully find your lips more responsive
Some other things i`v seen from players getting ready for matinees after long nights previous..
Playing a different sized mouthpiece; I know a guy who will play a different then his diameter mouthpiece before the show,and then switching back for the show..He says it "Tricks" his chops back to feeling good..OK to each their own!
I Know another guy that warms down the night before on a Tuba mouthpiece..He swears by it, and he`s a fine player. Does it driving home after the late night..Im gonna try that when the gig world opens up again,as i`m really curious.
I used to play alot with this guy who was a very strong player,and his "method"
of recovery was to play really hard to wake the chops up. He`d warm up in a harmon,and really honk on the Overture and first couple of tunes,then he`d look over smiling and see.."Ahh,Now I`v found the cracks" Funny it was!

So those are some options around non responding chops
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: