• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pro Trumpet vs. Student Trumpet for learning players

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An adult, either starting or restarting is a far more complex beast than a kid starting out.

One good reason why a better instrument may be a good idea is to stop all the second guessing that goes on with equipment. Kids, if they are taught well, will not worry about XYZ mouthpiece, leadpipe or valve alignment.

Adults do. So get a good middle of the road horn. As with anyone, get advice from a professional teacher, not the internet...

Cheers

Andy
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
An adult, either starting or restarting is a far more complex beast than a kid starting out.

One good reason why a better instrument may be a good idea is to stop all the second guessing that goes on with equipment. Kids, if they are taught well, will not worry about XYZ mouthpiece, leadpipe or valve alignment.

Adults do. So get a good middle of the road horn. As with anyone, get advice from a professional teacher, not the internet...

Cheers

Andy

I think that this is part of why I kind of doubled-down and bought my son a really nice guitar (Gibson Les Paul Standard) as he started to advance as a player. He was at a point where he was starting to become into his gear, so by getting him a really good guitar, it inspired him to practice a lot, and he stopped thinking about the guitar in his hands.

Adults are the same way and they'll obsess over gear when the truth is, it has much less to do about the gear than the person using it.

There's an old story/legend involving the Canadian Brass from the late 1980s where they were performing at some major brass event, and someone suggested that part of the reason they played so well was because of the equipment they were playing - at the time I think the group had an endorsement with Yamaha, so it was all custom Yamaha stuff. Basically, they'd be more like the rest of us mortals without custom their custom instruments.

To prove a point, they went to the display tables at the venue, grabbed the first instruments on the tables - mouthpieces included - and proceeded to perform at their usual level of excellence.

I don't know if this actually happened or not, but it's a story that was making the rounds in the late 80s/early 90s.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played on a King Sijlver Flair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cro776gzXgI

Uan Raisey
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderland by Night was played on a Mt. Vernon Bach Strad, I believe.
ArtandSons

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Uan Rasey rendition is a classic...and I was told by better players than me that the Silver Flair was a bright, big sound, lead horn. All I know is that the valves are light smooth, short throw and the build quality is exceptional. My dog is my audience and she deserves to hear my mediocre ability on a great instrument
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s the spirit! I also have horns that are “over my ability”. Does it make me feel bad? No, because I work hard as a professional in my day job (and don’t even get paid overtime) and saved the money to get the horns I like to play (long wish list goes here ...) plus they make my hobby playing so much easier than a dog (horn, that is, we’ve got cats and hamsters here as the primary animal audience ). On top of that: presuming we all live to be a 100 years old, what’s 4000 bucks on a lifetime? Get one or two (or four in my case) horns you like and you’re all set.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
That’s the spirit! I also have horns that are “over my ability”. Does it make me feel bad? No, because I work hard as a professional in my day job (and don’t even get paid overtime) and saved the money to get the horns I like to play (long wish list goes here ...) plus they make my hobby playing so much easier than a dog (horn, that is, we’ve got cats and hamsters here as the primary animal audience ). On top of that: presuming we all live to be a 100 years old, what’s 4000 bucks on a lifetime? Get one or two (or four in my case) horns you like and you’re all set.

Imagine what you'd spend on golf or a nice fishing boat. Trumpet is a relatively inexpensive hobby.
jairo_saade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

very wise words! Not all trumpet players are performing pros, and for a lot of us the trumpet is for enjoyment so why limit yourself? if you got the cash to spend in your hobby go for it, it is your hard earned money you can spend it the way it pleases you!.

Thinking about other hobbies, they say the happiest days of a man are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat. In the case of trumpets I think it is different I know a lot of you folks regret selling at least one trumpet in your lifetime.

Enjoy your horn, buy a new one enjoy it, sell, trade, regret selling, buy again, live. [/quote]
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trent Austin recently did a video playing a Silver Flair. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzWdHPyhQQc

I have one in my collection. The horn plays great and they tend to be bargains. For some reason it seems a lot of them were played by students who didn't play them much and then quit, so when those horns come up for sale they are in excellent condition and are relatively cheap.

You just need to be aware of the fact that there have been two versions of the Silver Flair. The first version was made by the H.N. White Company and then by the King Instrument Company after they acquired the H.N. White Company. Those are the original design.

After UMI acquired the King brand the Silver Flair was redesigned and is considered inferior to the original design. I will say, however, that I also have a Dizzy Gillespie commemorative Silver Flair made by UMI and it plays great, too and, of course, with the upturned bell it gets a lot of attention and is easy to play over a music stand.
ArtandSons

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trent Austin makes that horn sound pretty good! I noticed that he was using a rather "chunky" mouthpiece in the beginning and then switched over to what I assume was a mouthpiece to play the high register - anyone know what that first mouthpiece is?

I have seen some Silver Flair 2055Ts on ebay being represented as HN White or Eastlake 1055Ts...I did respond to one and told the guy - you either don't know what you have or are misrepresenting what you have - he did repost with correct info
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArtandSons wrote:
Trent Austin makes that horn sound pretty good! I noticed that he was using a rather "chunky" mouthpiece in the beginning and then switched over to what I assume was a mouthpiece to play the high register - anyone know what that first mouthpiece is?

I have seen some Silver Flair 2055Ts on ebay being represented as HN White or Eastlake 1055Ts...I did respond to one and told the guy - you either don't know what you have or are misrepresenting what you have - he did repost with correct info

Trent is marketing a "tone enhancer" device that adds weight to the mouthpiece and he has that on the first mouthpiece he uses.

There is a concept that any change technically affects something about the way the trumpet sounds or responds. It may be a positive change. It may be a negative change. The degree of change may be significant or insignificant. The change may be relevant or irrelevant in the whole scheme of things. "Tone enhancers" are one of many devices that are used to create these changes.

There's nothing wrong with experimenting with these things and using what you think creates a positive result even if the benefit is purely psychosomatic. Trumpet is mental in addition to being physical.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArtandSons wrote:
Trent Austin makes that horn sound pretty good!

To be fair...he does that with pretty much any horn.
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
ArtandSons wrote:
Trent Austin makes that horn sound pretty good!

To be fair...he does that with pretty much any horn.

Thank you
Just chiming in here that booster is designed to help offset the lack of weight/resonance with my acrylic/delrin/plastic materials we use in some of our mouthpieces. I might have used that booster on a metal piece for this video but I'm not sure. There's a longer video discussing the new booster on our YT page.

Cheers,
Trent

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: