• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

AR Resonance trumpets

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: AR Resonance trumpets Reply with quote

Hello,
I bought an Ar resonance mouthpiece time ago and I like it a lot.
I don’t see lots of threads here about their trumpets.

Did anyone try the different models ?
Antonio, the designer, seems to be a very nice person.

https://www.arresonance.com/
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested too. At EUR 6000/up, I'm priced out, but I'm curious.
Did a search. Lots on the mouthpieces, the horns not so much.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's quite a few video's about them by AR themselves (and I know there's a review video by Austin Custom Brass), but other than that I wouldn't know about reviews either.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: AR Resonance trumpets Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
Hello,
I bought an Ar resonance mouthpiece time ago and I like it a lot.
I don’t see lots of threads here about their trumpets.

Did anyone try the different models ?
Antonio, the designer, seems to be a very nice person.

https://www.arresonance.com/

Yes, I owned an Estrema. It had a HUGE bell. Fantastic MAW valves. It was also shockingly light in weight. Worth every penny. Also, Tony is a class act.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also love their pieces and haven’t found anything better.

I’ve seen videos of their horns on their Instagram page, but the only video review of a trumpet I’ve come across was from Trent Austin.

Would love to try the horns someday!
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to an AR piece for my trumpet after a (short) safari involving JK, Yamaha, Monette, and GR pieces, 5 or 6 overall. The AR is even better than the GR 65 series which I briefly played before.

I HAVE been thinking about a slightly deeper cup such as the MC 40 in bronze. Anyone dare to compare it to a 40 ME in brass?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I prefer if we discuss here about the trumpet.
There is other section for mouthpieces. And other threads.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergei Nakariakov likes them.
marathoner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I briefly owned an AR Resonance Leggera ("Featherweight Lead Horn"). Beautiful build and great player. It is now owned by a frequent contributor on this site. He could provide some great insights I am sure if he chooses to.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marathoner wrote:
I briefly owned an AR Resonance Leggera ("Featherweight Lead Horn"). Beautiful build and great player. It is now owned by a frequent contributor on this site. He could provide some great insights I am sure if he chooses to.

But why did you sell it?
marathoner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of "Money, Money, Money Money....."
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are pricey.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I switched to an AR piece for my trumpet after a (short) safari involving JK, Yamaha, Monette, and GR pieces, 5 or 6 overall. The AR is even better than the GR 65 series which I briefly played before.

I HAVE been thinking about a slightly deeper cup such as the MC 40 in bronze. Anyone dare to compare it to a 40 ME in brass?

I play an MLC 40 in bronze currently.

The C is a comfortable, moderate depth. Probably ball park equivalent is a bach C cup.

The Bronze is a little darker and a little more 'solid' or 'denser' than the brass equivalent. The sound stays a bit more focused soft and loud.
Bronze would be desirable for someone playing classical/wind band or small jazz type stuff.

If you're wanting bright and some sizzle when playing loud and high, then stick with brass I reckon.

Hope that helps!
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:

If you're wanting bright and some sizzle when playing loud and high, then stick with brass I reckon.

I play lead on a Bronze cup. It’s doable, but I agree that brass gives a little more sizzle a love high C. Although I do like the Bronze cup while playing below high C.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried both the Feroce and Leggerra. The octaves feel even in both directions, notes are exactly where the player expects them to be, intonation is spot on, and the sound is incredible. The valves are awesome, and the MAW block really does feel and sound the same on low C (open) as C# (1 2 3 pushed down). The horns aren't going to make you sound like a pro overnight, but they will reward a relaxed approach. A lot of thought was put into the design, both aesthetics and functionality. The horns have a beautiful and unique shape, and the valve trim and braces remind me of Antonio Gaudi. Because of the materials used, the horns are all corrosion proof, and will hopefully last for many lifetimes. These horns have machined leadpipes, which guarantees a perfect taper of the pipe, and allows the player to use a screw-in mouthpiece or adjust the gap to their liking. The bells are sourced from a craftsman in Markneukirchen, and they really are something to behold.

Now, as far as which model is the best, my personal preference is for the Feroce. If you listen to the video of Alex Sipiagin trying the Estrema and Feroce, the Estrema and Feroce have a similar tone, but the nickel horn has a little more presence and pop. The Leggerra is a totally different beast. Even lighter than the Feroce and with a smaller bell, it has overtones galore and really is the perfect instrument for jazz, lead, or commercial. It feels a little more conventional in terms of intonation and response to the player (due to the small bell), and the upper register is slightly more accessible. It's a "trumpet-y" sound (I mean this in a good way), and records extremely well. The big bell horns can sound flumpet-y with a deep mouthpiece, and while this isn't my favorite sound, they still move around quite well with deeper mouthpieces and can brighten up on demand. With a C cup mouthpiece, they are very versatile. It can take a while to get used to the large bell since it's harder to hear yourself while playing. In all fairness, I haven't tried a bronze bell AR trumpet, but it's on my list. I think the newest Estrema and Suprema trumpets are being built with nickel leadpipes, which I am very excited about.

I can't really think of any major drawbacks, besides cost, that would steer you away from these horns. The weight of these instruments is quite reasonable, and they are more than capable of being played in sections. One thing to be aware of, however, is that AR Resonance trumpets aren't meticulously buffed and shined. You could probably order one with a polished finish or plated in your choice of metal, but the regular ones will have visible solder joints, raw finish, and a unique brushed pattern on them. The beauty of materials and obvious care that went into designing and building them is what gives them some character.

Here is a list of players who use AR Resonance trumpets. You'd be hard pressed to find a comparable list of players playing any singular independent brand of trumpet. As far as I know, AR doesn't give free horns or mouthpieces to anyone, so these are all players who choose to use these instruments:

Alex Sipiagin: Estrema 150mm bell (solo projects), Feroce 132mm bell (with Mingus Band)
Phillip Harper: Leggerra
Chad McCullough: Estrema
Andy Gravish: Estrema (he might have a Feroce too)
Scott Tinkler: Feroce
Shane Jonas (Low Down Brass Band): Leggerra
Sergei Nakariakov: Custom "Nakariakov" model with a Feroce bell in bronze with nickel leadpipe
Marquis Hill: Feroce 140mm bell (used only on his 2017-2018 albums)
Randy Brecker: Estrema

I'm sure I'm leaving off quite a few players, especially in the classical/orchestral department, but these were just who I could think of off the top of my head.

I hope this was helpful. Feel free to send me a PM (open to anyone) if you want to talk shop. I am in no way associated with AR Resonance, I just really dig their trumpets and mouthpieces.
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Thank you very much for you long post with lot of information.

Strange that “nobody” is playing the “basic” model, the Suprema.
It seems that the Nakariakov model can be interesting also, Feroce bell but in bronze, may be more focused sound than the Suprema.

“Only” problem now is that with the COVID is difficult to go to Italy to try them.
anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AR Resonance here!
Thanks a lot to all of the guys writing such nice things about my mouthpieces and horns, particularly to Goby, I should hire you as my official PR guy!

I'll just point out a couple of things which might be useful to all the people reading:
I have never made a polished horn so far but I did polish some parts of the horn as I think they give a nice visual touch. On some trumpets I polished the inside of the bell, on others I did it on the tuning slide's ferrule.
On most trumpets I now polish caps, finger buttons and the stems, as standard. I think the horns look a lot nicer this way.
I now offer clear lacquer as an option, I think this will become more and more common as horns tarnish very quickly and some people don't like their hands getting dirty.
I did a few tests and I didn't notice a big difference in sound with lacquer, I like to think that the materials I use are "stronger" than the thin layer that is added.

I also enjoyed that Goby noticed a different intonation on the Leggera: it is meant to be played mostly on high notes and the overall harmonic spread is a bit tighter than the rest of the horns to allow for a more conventional resistance feel.
I mean, the overall resistance is the same but you will need to aim some 5 cents sharper on the high notes, which is what lead players want/need to do for more "sizzle" in their sound.
You still have a wide choice of threaded adapters and backbores, so you can still tweak resistance, tone and intonation, when needed.

Yes, all horns now have a nickel leadpipe, including the bronze themed horns.
For a few years I tried and tried to machine a leadpipe from the same bronze quality I make my mouthpieces from.
Long story short, it's impossible with a reamer: I've tried several tools made by some of the finest tool maker companies. I'm talking about those who provide tools for the BIG industries: cars, trains, defense (we make many parts of the Eurofighter Jet here in my area and some of these companies are owned by friends of mine).
Every time I mention the particular kind of bronze I want to ream they say it can't be done, the only way is with EDM machines and I don't want to spend 200.000 Euro for making just leadpipes
I DID make them with other qualities of bronze but they simply don't sound as nice as the kind I use for mouthpieces. The nature of that material is such that it can be turned (in a very slow, painful and annoying way) but it can't be reamed, at least not on such length and shape.

The plus side is that Nickel outperforms brass by a lot anyway so using it for my bronze horns is an improvement anyway.

A few things more: Andy Gravish has a Suprema at the moment and he is looking for a new model that I haven't announced yet. I designed it for a super duper big mega (how silly am I???) jazz artist, hopefully I will disclose his name soon. He actually already got two horns of mine and he is waiting for a third one.
Scott Tinkler has a Feroce with 140mm bell and will get a new Suprema next month.
Sergei has both a custom model, as described, but he also enjoys playing the Feroce for when he needs a bigger and more aggressive sound.

I have many customers playing my Classica models in China (I'm shipping a total of 16 of them) but not many in Europe and the US at the moment.

About 20% get the Suprema model, it's pretty popular but many of the "bronze guys" are attracted by the bigger belled Estrema.

Happy to tell reply to your questions, if I can.
Ciao!

Trumpets and mouthpieces: the ones I make
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Antonio for your explanation, how different the Nakariakov feels to the Suprema in feeling and sound ?
anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome.
Suprema is meant to be a jazzy horn, notes have more play than other models of mine, it helps you bending them up and down.
It' has a wider sound than the Feroce bell in bronze.
Also, Nakariakov's horn has a lighter leadpipe and a round tuning slide. Both things contribute to a much cleaner articulation, faster response and more defined feel.
It's a trumpet that wants to be easy to play, especially for the crazy fast things Sergei can play.
It can be fitted with either a nickel or bronze tuning slide. Nickel is even more precise and cleaner with the articulation and it brightens the sound.
None of them sound bright at all, that's for sure.

anrapa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to hear how this trumpet sounds you can check yesterday’s concert in Finland.
Sergei starts at 15:25, Weinberg Trumpet Concerto

Link

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: