• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Hiatus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FivePointer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Trumpet Hiatus Reply with quote

I have to step away from the horn for two weeks due to cataract surgery. No playing at all says the surgeon. I hate that this is the case. So does anyone know what I can do to improve my playing in the meantime and what to do to re-start comes to in my exuberance about playing again I don't screw myself up?
Thanks
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening to music may be helpful and give you new inspiration. Or studying music theory (chords, notations, etc.) or technical stuff (a big maintenance/cleaning job, cleaning out your case, etc.) And a little rest might not be such a bad thing...two weeks won't make you lose anything you can't build back up again soon.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about what area(s) of your playing are most limited. Then read and study material to help you understand what the problems might be and whether a change is needed, or just (later) more practice.

Study music theory if you have trouble getting to sleep ...
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<< Please do not provide medical advice, particularly countering the advice of a local doctor. Posting medical advice is against TH guidelines.

Thank you, Moderators >>
logantrumpetpiano

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week or two off occasionally isn't always a bad thing. You may feel even better once you've come back.

Listening intently is always useful as well.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would encourage him to do or not do exactly what his doctor tells him to do or not do.

To the OP - not doing anything to jeopardize your eyesight is a much higher priority - you're not going to forget how to play in two weeks or two months. I wouldn't worry about it.

How about fingering scales or exercises without the mouthpiece? As long as you're not doing anything with your eyes that's going to risk causing a problem.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
I would encourage him to do or not do exactly what his doctor tells him to do or not do.

Exactly this. I got up too quickly after gum graft surgery and had 24 hours of bleeding. It's just not worth it to save a few days of getting in shape.

Great suggestions other than that. Listening, goal/practice planning, etc. One thing I would suggest is pattern/technique recognition. Just look at some technical studies and finger through them. A big part of learning music and sight reading is just recognizing patterns so improving it is invaluable.
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posts deleted, edited. Posting medical advice, particularly to ignore the medical guidance of a local doctor, is against TH guidelines. Please do not do that.

Thank you,
TH Moderators
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While following your quack’s advice, you can take positive steps to help your playing and make good use of time off the horn. This takes thought, some time and possibly some assistance!

First, you need to realise that 2 weeks off is NOTHING. Really, if this is a dire situation for you, then there are bigger issues at stake than your playing. So many posts here about the end of the world for taking a day or more off the horn. It is infantile to think like this.

Second, you need recognise that ALL your habits will get a little vague after not playing for two weeks. This is where you take advantage of the situation.

Focus on things you know need work, this is part of your return journey. You’ll need a plan on how to recreate good habits to support developing these weaknesses into strengths.

Third, with this plan set, on return, you need to SLOW DOWN and go carefully. Ensure your basic playing skills are where they should be, hone them if necessary (didn’t realise THOSE weaknesses? Ha!) adding in what you want to develop. It’s at this time you start to create new, or developed habits to become a better player.

Embedding the habits will take time - 4-6 weeks - but you can do it and in 2 months time, you’ve used the surgery to become a better player.

Cheers

Andy
kgsmith1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meditation of various kinds - observing breathing, body awareness, and listening to ambient sounds in a quiet room could all have benefits for musicians, without any particular philosophical or religious baggage.

I know there are people for whom meditation generally seems boring - if so but you're willing to give it a shot, set a timer for 5-10 minutes to start and see how it feels to be bored. The feeling of boredom can be our excuse to distract ourselves from thoughts we're trying to escape. Could help with the frustration with the down time. If you give it a shot and you don't notice anything to attend to in your mind then maybe it's just not your cup of tea anyway.

Also I believe there's some research into the possibility meditation helps with pain/discomfort but I don't know if that would be an issue with cataracts.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a keyboard.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had cataract surgery last year. Although my doctor's advice was for a shorter layoff than yours, I followed his advice (he is a musician himself), with no problems. I spent my "practice" time listening to recordings by some really good trumpet players - past and present - and when my recovery time was over, I was very anxious to get back on the horn and motivated by all the listening I had done during my recovery period.

Take care,
Marc Speed
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
Get a keyboard.

^ this. Do you play any other (non-wind) instruments? This would be a great time to work on changes.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take a day off but you can never get it back.

Take off the time recommended by your doctor realizing it will take a couple weeks to get back to where you were.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread makes me laugh.

There were times where I rarely took time off of the horn. There have been times I have fairly extended hiatuses off of the horn - 12-18 months. Currently, I don't have a lot of motivation to play or practice because I have no gigs on the horizon, and sadly I'm at a place in life where I don't enjoy playing trumpet enough to do it without having some other extrinsic reason to do so. Translated, I've been on a hiatus of sorts for the better part of a year thanks to Covid 19.

But, for the OP who has to take some time off due to eye surgery, just take the time off and don't worry about it. Will your chops suffer some? Yep. Will it all come back pretty quickly with some focused practice? Yep.

I wouldn't sweat it if I was in your shoes because 2 weeks is NOTHING compared to what I'm currently rolling with.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A necessary two week medical time out is not a hiatus. I’ll wager you’ll be rusty for a practice session or two, if that. Not a big deal. Might even be beneficial.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinning off of what everyone else has been saying, find ways to ‘mentally’ practice. Listen to a ton of recordings. Finger along with them without the horn. Etc.

You’ll be fine coming back. I took the better part of a year and a half off, and came back with a fifth more range and pretty much where I left off.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ... I quit seven months ago ... just not motivated anymore. My website will self-destruct next month as well.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is sad. I would like to have some time to practice because it is the one thing that takes my brain off from other problems. But I have been working over-over-time since about March 2019 and am just too tired and typically I stop work late. So as to not harass the neighbors I work a little on music theory but that’s about it. Really enjoyed my practice last Sunday but then again I have no issues just playing for myself. So a general motivation is not the problem here, just the open time slots won’t work. I wonder if losing the motivation due to no playing opportunities is a general phenomenon. Sorry for sidetracking the thread.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:
jhatpro wrote:
Get a keyboard.

^ this. Do you play any other (non-wind) instruments? This would be a great time to work on changes.

IMnsHO, learning piano is never a bad thing.

Or one of these:

String it "low-G" and it has pretty much the same range as a trumpet.
Gary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: