• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dent removal with red rot or replacement third valve slide?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jairo_saade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Dent removal with red rot or replacement third valve slide? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Would appreciate some input on the best alternative for a Taylor Chicago Lite:
a. removing a dent on the third valve slide which appears to have some signs of red rot or
b. sourcing a new slide (it seems to be carolbrass).

Do you guys know if it is possible to find replacement slides from either Taylor or from Carolbrass directly?

Also will a replacement slide work just fine or will it require some lapping or something like valve would?

Thanks for the advice.

Joe
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe, if it were me I'd try dent removal and a patch if needed for the red rot. If that effected the playability or you didn't like how it turned out you could always try a new slide then if you can't get a Taylor replacement. Hope it works out for you :)
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who the CarolBrass distributor for your country is.

Where I'm at, I've ordered slides before, and the service was good.

If you do get a replacement slide, you still may need your local repair tech to ensure it's properly aligned.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red rot is somewhat unusual in the third valve slide especially if it's not showing up in the usual places (leadpipe and tuning slide). Sometimes what appears to be red rot is just some discoloration. Is this on the inner slides or is is coming through the finish on the outer slides? General reddish discoloration on inner slides is common. Red rot usually shows up as pinpoints, not as bigger reddish areas. If it's not red rot there is probably no physical reason to replace the slide. You could just have the dent removed and you're good to go.

Even if it is red rot it can take decades, if forever, for it to create any real problem with playing the horn.

So if it was me step #1 would be to verify whether there really is any red rot in the slide. If not, I'd just have the dent removed. I'd probably just have the dent removed, at least for now, even if there was red rot but that's a personal choice.
jairo_saade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the input.

What appears to be red rot is a redish/brownish dot in the middle of the rounded part and right in the middle of the dent.

I think I am going to take it to my local repair guy for the dent removal, maybe patching route, and if it goes wrong I will order some from Andy Taylor or directly from carolbrass.

Could you folks point me in the direction of a carolbrass dealer/reps in the USA?

thanks.

Joe
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jairo_saade wrote:
Hi thanks for the input.

What appears to be red rot is a redish/brownish dot in the middle of the rounded part and right in the middle of the dent.

I think I am going to take it to my local repair guy for the dent removal, maybe patching route, and if it goes wrong I will order some from Andy Taylor or directly from carolbrass.

Could you folks point me in the direction of a carolbrass dealer/reps in the USA?

thanks.

Joe

Doug Teeter (Teeter Trumpets) is a CarolBrass USA dealer and posts on TH. Great service and communication!

Doug Teeter. Tel: 559 436-5247. Mail: doug@carolbrassusa.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: