• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet manufacture date

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpet09

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: Trumpet manufacture date Reply with quote

Greetings all.

I find myself trying to pin down the exact year my C trumpet was manufactured. I’m doing this because I’d like to pass it on to someone who will use it and take care of it, but the Bach website leaves a 5 year gap (1975-1980) which the serial number falls right in the middle of. Does anyone know anything about Vincent Bach C horns this time? The serial number is 149866 and the designations from 75-80 are 112000-175000 respectively.

Thanks and be safe out there!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bachloyalist.com/serial-numbers-trumpet/

Looks like 1978.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If January 1975 has serial 112000 and January 1980 has serial number 175000 and your number is 149866

Your number is 37866 higher than january 1975

The total number of instruments made over 5 years is 63000 and that is 63000 divided by 5 for the intsruments sold per year.

That is 12600 per year.

3 years production is 37800 so that takes us to january 1978 as serial number 149800 there are just 66 instruments from 1st january 1978 to your instrument.

If we assume 1050 instruments made in january 1978 and we further assume 22 work days in january that makes 47 instruments per day.

That places your instrument as the 19th instrument made on the second day of production in 1978 and at 4 instruments per hour I would sugggest the build was completed in the fifth hour of the day and that places it at 1 pm.

The 1st of January 1978 was a sunday, so your instrument was probably made at 1pm on Tuesday the third of January 1978.

I think this is unlikely to be correct as it based upon assumption and statistics and we all know how reliable statistics are but it made me smile to work it out.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
If January 1975 has serial 112000 and January 1980 has serial number 175000 and your number is 149866

Your number is 37866 higher than january 1975

The total number of instruments made over 5 years is 63000 and that is 63000 divided by 5 for the intsruments sold per year.

That is 12600 per year.

3 years production is 37800 so that takes us to january 1978 as serial number 149800 there are just 66 instruments from 1st january 1978 to your instrument.

If we assume 1050 instruments made in january 1978 and we further assume 22 work days in january that makes 47 instruments per day.

That places your instrument as the 19th instrument made on the second day of production in 1978 and at 4 instruments per hour I would sugggest the build was completed in the fifth hour of the day and that places it at 1 pm.

The 1st of January 1978 was a sunday, so your instrument was probably made at 1pm on Tuesday the third of January 1978.

I think this is unlikely to be correct as it based upon assumption and statistics and we all know how reliable statistics are but it made me smile to work it out.

Ok, now what color were the craftsman’s eyes.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue I believe.

There are lies damned lies and statistics so you spotted that this date and time are monumentally unreliable.

A case of the minimal facts being overly and excruciatingly extrapolated until they screamed

I chose not to name the exact minute of construction to at least preserve some credibility but I now fear I have lost that.

My calculation fixes the minute of manufacture at exactly 1.45 pm following a lunch of cheese and pickle sandwiches washed down with coffee and 3 sugars.

It is unclear from the serial number alone whether the cheese was monterey jack or cheddar. The pickle was however pickled gherkin.

This has been established from archaeological digs of ancient musical company premises. Cheeses do not survive for long but gherkins last forever and have been discovered lodged in ancient trumpets.

We are lucky that with only minimal serial number information we are able to decide what the exact moment of creation was and the lunches consumed.

I wouldnt put money on it however.

I am working on genesis next

I expect to be able to advise Harvard Yale Stanford and Princeton of the exact moment of creation to the minute based upon tree ring dendochronology and a whole heap of guesswork stretching back over 14 billion years.

That is only an accuracy of one part in 7 trillion, so I am quite hopeful of an accurate result.

Respect to you LittleRusty
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: