• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Exercises in 4 positions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Exercises in 4 positions? Reply with quote

In Dr. Reinhardt's handwritten materials, he seems to suggest playing exercises through the fingering combinations OPEN, 2, 1 and 1+2; or, in only the first four positions of the instrument.

Traditionally, we are advised to run drills through all seven positions. Is there a reason for this prescription?

P.S. I've recently adopted it, and it seems like a good thing....
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Exercises in 4 positions? Reply with quote

bg wrote:
In Dr. Reinhardt's handwritten materials, he seems to suggest playing exercises through the fingering combinations OPEN, 2, 1 and 1+2; or, in only the first four positions of the instrument.

Traditionally, we are advised to run drills through all seven positions. Is there a reason for this prescription?

P.S. I've recently adopted it, and it seems like a good thing....

Hey, Brad, Doc told me it was to save time and move on to get through more drills by at least "touching upon" those four fingerings.

Although I never asked him more specifically, I have a hunch that he also did that so we wouldn't get sidetracked by intonation complications as those drills are about accomplishing a specific goal, and other drills are for paying attention to intonation (like the Brandt etudes or his Concone selections).

I could be wrong, but I never questioned it, just did them with the first four fingerings and made steady progress by following his instructions to the letter to the best of my ability.

Good question, my man! Hope you are doing well!
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing the Reinhardt exercises in all those keys would probably be extremely strenuous for most players. Even doing them in four keys each is plenty for most. Plus spending all that time in the lower registers would probably hurt most players’ upper register by making them too spread. But if it worked for someone then I’d say go for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: