• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Does silverplated Bach Strads have nickel silver tubes....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Does silverplated Bach Strads have nickel silver tubes.... Reply with quote

...on their slides like the laquered ones, or are they all brass under the plating?

Talking about regular weight trumpets, not light weights.
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
Letstalktrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Does silverplated Bach Strads have nickel silver tubes.. Reply with quote

trumpetera wrote:
...on their slides like the laquered ones, or are they all brass under the plating?

Talking about regular weight trumpets, not light weights.

My 80s bach 25 does have nickel under the sliver, my 90s 37 does not. The 90s 37 is all brass. Both regular weight bells and bodies.

Somewhere between 250,xxx and 402,xxx they must have changed it.
The one with nickel is noticeably heavier than the 37 and the 37 is noticeably heavier than my lightweight bach.

Not for nothing, I used to own a Bach 25 75,xxx that had a one piece valve casing and all brass under worn sliver with a regular weight body. (This horn was tragically bad by the way)
I think there has been some variance throughout the years.
darksmoke

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you said just standard weights, but as far as I'm aware the only modern Bach model currently being made with nickel-silver inner slides is the Commercial (for both weight & timbre) ? And the rest, regardless of weight and finish, I assume are brass throughout the slides by default.
This is just my own synopsis here.
-Callet SC6
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they were referring to outer tube slides, not the inner.

Also, lightweight Bachs in the 80's and 90's didn't always have lightweight bells. I had one for a while with a lightweight body, reversed tuning slide and standard weight bell. All brass tubes, but the tubes had thinner walls than the standard weight. Of course, lightweight bells are also seen on standard weight bodies as well. You have to check the thickness of the tube.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is one of Bach's "dirty little secrets". When they decide on cost cutting measures they never come out and say "we are doing so and so to save money". When they started producing one piece valve casings, Lloyd Fillio told me that they switched "because they were having problems with leakage". The real reason was to save money. In this case, since you can't see the change, they didn't even mention it. It isn't written in any of their catalogues that the regular weight silver plated horns (all or just in Bb?) use brass outer tubing. Maybe one of the experts here will chime in.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
It is one of Bach's "dirty little secrets". When they decide on cost cutting measures they never come out and say "we are doing so and so to save money". When they started producing one piece valve casings, Lloyd Fillio told me that they switched "because they were having problems with leakage". The real reason was to save money. In this case, since you can't see the change, they didn't even mention it. It isn't written in any of their catalogues that the regular weight silver plated horns (all or just in Bb?) use brass outer tubing. Maybe one of the experts here will chime in.

There's an article that addresses the myths behind Martin guitars and why they are built the way they are. Virtually none of the changes to Martin guitars were made from the standpoint of making them sound better. They were all made as a means to affect the company's bottom line - mostly to cut back on warranty repairs, thus saving/making the company money in the long run.

http://www.grevenguitars.com/pdfs/MartinMyths.pdf

As a drummer, I can tell you that many changes to drums over the years had less to do about sonic qualities (although some of those changes were actually innovative) as it was about marketing, i.e., how to be able to charge more money for something basically the same as a less expensive model. You have to figure, at the end of the day a drum is little more than a big round tube with heads stretched over it - a drum often sounds good or bad based on little more than how well the players themselves set them up and got them tuned.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: