• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Coming back again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickoak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Coming back again Reply with quote

After a break of ~13-15 years I'm making my second comeback and kicking myself that the first one didn't stick. I've found some useful tips and links in this forum.

I started playing in middle school in the early 1970's on a used Ambassador ca. 1966/67 but quite during high school because I didn't like marching band.

Around 2000 after a ~25 year break I made my first comeback. I bought myself a ca. 1980 L.A. Benge and joined a local community band. This comeback lasted ~5-7 years. During that time I picked up a cheap flugel and three vintage cornets, two of which are still good players.

Unfortunately life and work got in the way and without meaning to take a long break I didn't start up again until two to three months ago.

As I knew it would be, starting up again was hard, but after practicing almost every day my range, endurance and general skill level have made major strides, but I still have a lot to work on, especially speeding up my reading and my fingers. I've taken a few lessons which I found very useful to get me on the right track. And most of all I'm really enjoying playing again.

Rick
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back (again)!
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too.

After about 3 months I'm now back to acceptable shape but still well short of what I was producing when life got in the way. I really enjoyed being able to competently play tunes again and rediscover my 'voice'. It's all about the music.

Regards,

Trevor
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to trumpet playing! Have fun!
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back again. I had a very similar experience. Quit in HS because of sports. Started up to help the college I was teaching at have enough players to make a band (played third parts so the kids could play the others). Life got in the way. Came back again when I settled where I am now and been playing at some level ever since. So the second comeback stuck for me. Enjoy!
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
rickoak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm determined to make this comeback stick. After we get through COVID I hope to find a group to play with.

Rick
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick:

Playing in a group was huge for me in terms of motivation. I was blessed to be able to join a church orchestra that included several music educators, retired semi-pro musicians, etc. So while I struggled with being the "weakest link," I am convinced being around those folks made me a better player.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted about this before on this forum, but playing an instrument without purpose is a tough row to hoe. Some people seem to be able to be perfectly content as practice room players. They find ways to keep it interesting - they record themselves, they play along to recordings, etc.

That has NEVER been me.

All my life my playing has revolved around performing of some kind. Even in grade school when I first started, the work I did in band class was focused towards these ideas I had about playing in front of a crowd for the period school band concerts. In high school I added music contests, pep band, honor bands, and summer music camp into the mix, so by then I was mixing a social element with the performance outlet.

To Rick the OP, I suggest that like before, you find both social and performance outlets. Otherwise, it will most likely fall to the wayside again.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
All my life my playing has revolved around performing of some kind.

That's interesting to read...I'm pretty much the opposite. To me, performing is the thing I like the least about making music. It always feels like an exam or something...that you'd need to get everything 100% correct, and in doing so, lose some of the creativity and freedom that makes music great. My favorite memories involve spontaneaous jam sessions or blending together beautifully. Playing together for the sake of playing, not for the audience is what I like best. That's not to say I don't like performing...because I do (now at least). But practice sessions are so much more enjoyable to me.

But I agree that music is most enjoyable when playing together with someone else. Being stuck in your house with nobody around is...less interesting.
vince9000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing when I was 8 years old and played regularly for about 30 years. Then, I stopped for about 15 years and started up again. It took me 5 years of practicing for an hour 5 nights per week to get to the point where I felt competent enough to go for a concert band audition. It was a nice comeback for me! After performing with the concert band for 5 years, I have now stopped again, largely due to family commitments that prevent me from practicing to the degree that would enable me to perform at my best.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my kids were young and I was working two jobs to support my family, at one point I went a few months without picking up my horn. While I don't regret my priorities at the time, I didn't realize how depressed I'd been until I started playing again--I had reached the point where I couldn't even listen to my favorite trumpet players because it hurt too much. Finally I pulled it out again, and though work and other responsibilities still get in the way sometimes, I have never gone more than two weeks without playing in the last fifteen years, and plan to play until I croak, audience or no audience, chops or no chops.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
plan to play until I croak, audience or no audience, chops or no chops.

My thoughts exactly. (so really working hard or more efficient playing these days!)
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
rickoak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point on performing. I realize that my desire is more to play with others than in public performance. Playing by myself at home is fine for now but I worry about keeping motivated in the long term.

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: