• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A most instructive embouchure & high range video.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don’t use my post for self exposure by name dropping
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Please don’t use my post for self exposure by name dropping

Huh? I was quoting you quoting Lionel's statement about Bentley and Roy. If mentioning that I met Maynard was interpreted as self exposure I can assure it wasn't. Lighten up Brah!
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the opinions of others makes you angry, and you feel compelled to bring that anger and sarcasm onto the TH in retaliation, you will likely be banned.

Better to stop posting for a while. Or, find a trumpet site that allows such things (good luck).

No further warnings.

moderators
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderators wrote:
If the opinions of others makes you angry, and you feel compelled to bring that anger and sarcasm onto the TH in retaliation, you will likely be banned.

Better to stop posting for a while. Or, find a trumpet site that allows such things (good luck).

No further warnings.

moderators

A good post, but not done quite enough.
A piece of advice I got early in my business career was: Learn to disagree without bing disagreeable!
Wish I had heeded that advice more.
Rod
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally,
The video on which I based this topic has been taken down. That's a real shame because in it Dr William Moriarty describes the basic principles of the Stevens-Costello system. He doesn't play the trumpet as his statement was a speaking engagement both on his history working with Roy Stevens and a primer on how the Stevens embouchure works.
It was Bill Moriarty who types Roy Stevens thoughts into print. He did this both for the original first edition in 1971 and the second edition in 2006 or so.

The salient points of the video were in my mind to be,

The complete range of the trumpet can be learned by anyone diligent enough to apply the physical laws for a long enough time. And,

The upper register is taught first. This a concept absolutely contrary to pretty much all major systems on teaching the trumpet. So what's up with that?

In a nutshell, the high tone squeakers are developed in the beginning as a test to make sure that the structure of the embouchure (lips, teeth, and jaw) are aligned in perfect order. It's really amazing at the kind of high notes that beginners to the Stevens System may initially pull off. My first student popped a nice piece of the G/Double C on his first day!

This was most enlightening to me because at the time I too was a relative newcomer to the system. I still have my shortcomings today but less & less as time goes on. Initially, I felt a little guilty teaching the system as I did't play it perfectly, and still don't. However, this described first student still wanted me to help him with it. And I only charge him a stipend due to this being a relatively new thing to me. At the time he started, he knew me as a decent lead trumpet on my former receded jaw chops. Same one that got destroyed back in 2018. Probably due to too many years of playing high notes on a conventional embouchure.
However both of us are are improving like gangbusters lately!

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
FatSebastian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
Incidentally, The video on which I based this topic has been taken down

When I checked, the Moriarty video was available, and also available at the Roy Stevens Tribute Site, along with the Roy Roman videos. I believe the Roman videos are excerpts from his Ultimate Position Trumpet Method video set, which is his own presentation of the Stevens' method I think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: