• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Covid Impact

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Covid Impact Reply with quote

How is Covid affecting your trumpet playing?

With so much time available in this new, socially distanced world I’m playing throughout the day.

I’m also buying more old horns that I don’t really need but can’t resist. Early virus symptom? I hope not.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recovered from it. I’m 66, for me, it was basically like the flu, but the fatigue lasted a LONG time. I have not practiced much at all, but in the past if something knocked me off the horn for this amount of time, honestly I don’t feel that I lose much besides endurance.

At any rate, while I understand the seriousness of this virus, for the vast majority of folks it’s not lethal. Which of course is meaningless for those who do die from this and their loved ones; in no way am I minimizing deaths from this disease.

I’m actually glad I got it out of the way, as my understanding is that reinfection chances are very slight.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure glad you’re over it. Scares me and there’s no vaccine in sight here in Illinois.

No rehearsals, no gigs, no cocktail parties, no fun, and winter’s just getting underway.

Thank God for my horns!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Covid Impact Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
How is Covid affecting your trumpet playing?

With so much time available in this new, socially distanced world I’m playing throughout the day.

I’m also buying more old horns that I don’t really need but can’t resist. Early virus symptom? I hope not.

Trumpetplaying per se has gained a lot ´cause of this bl-y virus. I´m using this looong no-gig year improving my (amateur) skills. Mostly deep in the BE.
Must admit that sometimes this is so frustrating.....
The concept Grit surely has come to the fore.....mobilizing the energy to go sit and practice every day, some days more somedays less not having any gig in sight..
Well, lethal? Some folks don´t seem to get affected at all; friends of mine - the lady got it - minor symptoms the guy not at all. But a section mate of mine (50 years in the same front row section) died last wednesday. Just like that. Ain´t funny at all. And we can´t play for him.
Have to confess that I wear a mask and a face shield everytime I have to go buy food.....better looking ridiculouse than dead.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Covid Impact Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Well, lethal? Some folks don´t seem to get affected at all; friends of mine - the lady got it - minor symptoms the guy not at all. But a section mate of mine (50 years in the same front row section) died last wednesday. Just like that. Ain´t funny at all. And we can´t play for him.
Have to confess that I wear a mask and a face shield everytime I have to go buy food.....better looking ridiculouse than dead.

To clarify: I am not implying that it cannot be lethal, obviously it can be, and did not say there’s anything “funny” about it. But a survival rate of 99.6%, IMO, puts it in perspective. Honestly, I was not especially fearful of this virus for that reason, and my personal experience reflected that. Call me lucky, or call me typical of the statistics.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Covid Impact Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
But a survival rate of 99.6%, IMO, puts it in perspective.

It certainly does. If my math is correct, (331,000,000 * .004), .4% of the US population means we should expect only 1,324,000 deaths.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your section mate Seymor. Pity you couldn't even give him a proper sendoff.

Covid-19 is pretty impactful...with a parent that needs special (health)care, and overstressed siblings quarreling about it, it's hard to keep things from falling apart..especially combined with personal and work life added to that. If it weren't for my trumpet, I'm not sure if I'd been able to keep it up. It's been a good year technique-wise though, and I too have bought an instrument I didn't stritly need but...well, since I have no vacation days left to take a vaction anyway (spent 'em all on taking care of said parent), there was a little money leftover for a frill.

Basically, it's stressful but trumpet keeps me going.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid Impact Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

It certainly does. If my math is correct, (331,000,000 * .004), .4% of the US population means we should expect only 1,324,000 deaths.

Doesn’t that assume that all 331,000,000 people in the country will contract it? Isn’t 99.6% the survival rate of those who DO contract it, not the entire population?
Where am I off here?

Brad
Tivolian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid Impact Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:

To clarify: I am not implying that it cannot be lethal, obviously it can be, and did not say there’s anything “funny” about it. But a survival rate of 99.6%, IMO, puts it in perspective. Honestly, I was not especially fearful of this virus for that reason, and my personal experience reflected that. Call me lucky, or call me typical of the statistics.

Brad

Brad -- your statistics are off. According to the Johns Hopkins website, and many others (e.g., the CDC) the case fatality rate in the United States is just under 2%. It has fluctuated since the outbreak began and currently is at 1.7%. 25,000,000 cases and 417,000 deaths, according to today's statistics. So, that means that the survival rate would be about 98.3%. Other calculations of "excess deaths" since the beginning of the pandemic would put the fatality rate higher. Death rates are MUCH higher in low-income communities and in Black and Hispanic communities.

I'm one of the lucky ones who has stayed employed, although I've been working from home since March. I've been able to divide my practicing time into 3 sessions (total around 2 hours), which I think is better for my endurance. Before the pandemic I played the same total amount but in two sessions, one before work and the other in the evening.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid Impact Reply with quote

Tivolian wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:

Brad

Brad -- your statistics are off. According to the Johns Hopkins website, and many others (e.g., the CDC) the case fatality rate in the United States is just under 2%. It has fluctuated since the outbreak began and currently is at 1.7%. 25,000,000 cases and 417,000 deaths, according to today's statistics. So, that means that the survival rate would be about 98.3%. Other calculations of "excess deaths" since the beginning of the pandemic would put the fatality rate higher. Death rates are MUCH higher in low-income communities and in Black and Hispanic communities.

I'm one of the lucky ones who has stayed employed, although I've been working from home since March. I've been able to divide my practicing time into 3 sessions (total around 2 hours), which I think is better for my endurance. Before the pandemic I played the same total amount but in two sessions, one before work and the other in the evening.

You know what guys? I’m withdrawing from this discussion. I have my own opinions about what we’ve been told by the media, the WHO and the CDC, including contradictory information from Fauci, but it’s just a matter of time until this discussion is deemed “political” by the mods.

You guys all have a nice Sunday.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid Impact Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Doesn’t that assume that all 331,000,000 people in the country will contract it? Isn’t 99.6% the survival rate of those who DO contract it, not the entire population?
Where am I off here?

Brad

Just pointing out that focusing on the 99.6% is not putting it into perspective, in my opinion.

While you and I personally might be at low risk due to the odds, a million, or a hundred thousand, are too many lives to lose.

Edit: corrected the percentage.

Also, please accept my apologies Brad. I didn’t mean to start a debate, I just meant to point out that using your numbers that we still face a serious pandemic.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid Impact Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Where am I off here?

Brad

Just pointing out that focusing on the 99.6% is not putting it into perspective, in my opinion.

While you and I personally might be at low risk due to the odds, a million, or a hundred thousand, are too many lives to lose.

Edit: corrected the percentage.

Also, please accept my apologies Brad. I didn’t mean to start a debate, I just meant to point out that using your numbers that we still face a serious pandemic.

Absolutely no apologies necessary LittleRusty. In retrospect, I somewhat regret adding to this discussion, it’s really lends itself to political discourse, and there’s plenty of that in other places on the internet. This place probably needs to be remain an oasis from that, but as far as I’m concerned, we’re good.👍

Brad
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Covid Impact Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:

Brad

Oh - I didn´t mean to sound sarcastic - not at all. My way of writing could probably sometimes seem a trifle sweeping. "Ain´t funny at all" only expressed my own sentiments. Made another post about that (in the "Lounge").
Anyhow my wife and I have been very keen on not exposing us - son in law and our daugther, both doctors told us to take care - so we did. The lady in my example of above took all precautions, keeping distance, no meetings but must have been contaminated in a grocery....

Guess this topic might beat up political aspects - surely does here in Sweden - but I too do enjoy the freedom of speech here on the TH - no politics.
Almosts everything can be politicised. A friend of mine (rather hardboiled) loves to say that decisions can be political or reasonable

Anyhow - personally I have had, apart from missing gigs and people, a good time fixing things that never would have been delt with were it not for this Covid 19. My playing has gotten a real boost so I feel confident to climb those lead chairs again. Whenever that may be. August???
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: