• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Comeback player new to TH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Comeback player new to TH Reply with quote

Hi All,

My name is John and I'm in Lancashire (UK). This is my 2nd (perhaps 3rd) comeback to the trumpet. I started learning when I was about 9 with a school borrowed horn and lessons, played for 2-3 years but then sadly (looking back) stopped. My parents had bought me a Bach 7c mouthpiece, which years later, became a prized possession. I was in the Scouts but didn't get that much exposure to bands outside of annual carnivals or the occasional brass band performance, my interest wained. While at university I had an ambition to learn to play Sax, but the concept of blowing through/over a reed didn't appeal.

A long time later (2009) I re-discovered my 7c and a few days later bought a used (but pristine) Yamaha YTR-1335 in gold lacquer from a local music shop. They had new horns for similar prices from manufacturers I hadn't heard of (I did zero research), but the Yamaha was an easy choice. I 'tested' it (more my ability to get a note out of it) in a corner with the 7c beforehand. I was working in Southampton at the time and took some lessons locally and attended a few events & performances linked to the music school.

In 2011 I moved back to Lancashire but didn't find (or perhaps look for) a tutor and since then I've wavered between playing and not playing several times. At one point I was practising 30-60 minutes a day, keeping a record in a diary and buying sheet music (mostly too advanced for my ability). I felt progress but then various things happened in life that had to take priority. Like many, I'm now annoyed I stopped originally and didn't keep going after the first comeback.

A few years ago I bought a Yamaha YTR-4335Gii as a present to myself, started to learn music theory, but then got distracted by the continual references to piano keyboards/notes used to demonstrate theory in the books I was reading.

I have the YTR-1335, YTR-4335Gii, Bach 7c and a couple of Yamaha 11B4 mouthpieces which came with the trumpets. The mouthpieces seem similar so I'm using the 11B4s for consistency and don't have to swap them about, but carry the 7c around for practice buzzing when I get the chance.

I'm new to TH and there's a lot of really useful info here, I hope to be able to contribute at some point in the future.

John.

Last edited by johnha on Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, John! Sounds like you’re off to a good re-start and your timing is perfect because trumpet playing is a great way to stay sane as we all deal with life behind the Covid curtain.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to trumpet playing! Find a tutor to work with if at all possible. He/she can help you put together a practice routine that works for you and will help you meet your goals. Good luck!
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Welcome back to trumpet playing! Find a tutor to work with if at all possible. He/she can help you put together a practice routine that works for you and will help you meet your goals. Good luck!

Welcome back John! Sage advice from Dayton! I restarted in 2014 after a 14 year hiatus and instantly started walking in an unnecessary minefield of misconception. Finally worked out the serious need for direction after a short while, thankfully, of wasted time. Having a viewpoint (Tutor/Teacher/Guide) apart from your own saves much frustration and setback. Having a solid, effective routine saves time and missteps everyday. Don't go into the practice room without it!

Best wishes,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome John.
I agree about getting a tutor. If none is available locally, you might try online. There are a number of people on this forum who teach via Zoom, Skype or other means.
Most of all. Enjoy. Have fun.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
rickoak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the multi-comeback club! I just posted a few days ago that I'm on my second comeback.

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and second the advice on getting a teacher. Even doing some remote lessons really helped me get on the right track.

Rick
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best investment you can make is in a good teacher. I took lessons weekly for several months via Skype with Jeff Purtle. I thought that I knew something about playing trumpet. I had no idea how much I was missing. The lessons with Jeff were sort of like a visit to a doctor. I thought I was healthy. Jeff diagnosed some problems and prescribed prescriptions (exercises). Then, he'd listen after I practiced and prescribe more lessons. A whole lot of problems that I didn't know I had got fixed without Jeff ever once criticizing me. He would just listen and somehow he knew when something wasn't right. They he would say something like, "listen to this," and he'd play the lesson the way it was supposed to sound. Several months later I was quite impressed with the results. I had a number of issues come up (some medical) and I had to lay off playing for a while, but I picked up the horn a few weeks ago and am back in the saddle.
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
johnha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome and advice relating to getting a teacher. The UK is currently in lockdown (again...) and teaching in person looks unlikely for the foreseeable future. I will consider/explore online lessons and the various ways to do this.

Thanks again for the welcome.

John.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the suggestions to find a teacher. Learning by yourself is often an exercise in frustration

I agree that the Yamaha 11C4 is a sensible choice but in saying that I wouldn't recommend using the 7C at all because embouchure development really benefits from consistency.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Colini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John and welcome back to trumpeting again. I'm on Wirral so not too far away.
I had over 40 years away and now nearly 4 years in and loving every minute.
I have some duplicate music books if you are interested (FOC and can post) .
Get a teacher, as recommended. I have one lesson remotely every few months. I get enough information to keep going for ages. Being old I learn slowly and analyse everything. Also have completely changed technique.
As soon as lockdown is over join some bands - best way to learn/improve. I am in brass band (2nd cornet) , wind band (1st trumpet) and big band (3rd trumpet) so get a great range of playing.
Cheers, Colin
johnha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colini wrote:
Hi John and welcome back to trumpeting again. I'm on Wirral so not too far away.
I had over 40 years away and now nearly 4 years in and loving every minute.
I have some duplicate music books if you are interested (FOC and can post) .

Hi Colin, thanks for the welcome and the offer but I have lots of music (and several duplicates) myself. Sounds like you're getting on well in your comeback and I'm interested to know effective remote lessons are. Joining a band seems a long way off at the moment (related to both Covid and my playing ability) but I will explore it.

John.
Colini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that remote has helped me enormously but I don't think it will ever beat face to face. It is down to getting the right person, one that is used to working with comeback players and all their baggage (bad habits, poor technique etc). I am extremely lucky as I am surrounded (at a safe distance!) by musicians and can get advice from several extremely good brass players who also teach. It is amazing what I have learned about breathing from a professional flautist and singer.
You may have to try more than one as it important that you find one that is not too dogmatic and understands where you are coming from.

I have done lots of research (some have mentioned "over analysing") and I enjoy doing it and love experimenting. YouTube has been a great resource. What I have noticed is that so many people are effectively saying the same thing but in a slightly different way. You will find that by revisiting videos again and again you will pick up on different points as you begin to understand their significance.

The ones that have helped me most are:
1. Greg Spence and Windworks. I signed up for his older course called Mystery to Mastery and keep dipping in and out. His embouchure set up has helped me tremendously,so simple yet so effective.

2. Brian Davies at Airflow - a great series of A-Z.

3. Charlie Porter

As to bands....
I have found them so welcoming. My community wind band welcomes all players even those that can only play a few notes. We all help each other and enjoy ourselves. We have a wide range of players including some professionals.
Starting on 3rd cornet in a brass band is great way to develop low notes which eventually help with high notes.

If you fancy a chat drop me an email.
remembercolin@gmail.com

Cheers
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back!
Have fun with it and enjoy the process of learning.

Here are two links that I hope give you some things to think about to make your practice more productive.

https://www.purtle.com/teach-myself-or-take-private-lessons
https://www.purtle.com/virtual-internet-trumpet-gathering-2020-claude-gordon-jeff-purtle

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you the best of luck. Right now with things being the way they are in the world with Covid 19 lockdowns/shutdowns, it would be tough to start playing again.

I think part of why people play a musical instrument isn't for the instrument itself, but rather there is a social aspect to making music. Whether it's the musical interaction between instruments in the ensemble, or simply chatting it up with like-minded folks before and after rehearsals and that sort of thing, making music is a social event. If you can't do those things, it's going to make it tougher.

For me, my efforts as a musician have always been purpose-driven - essentially, I gig to provide music for any number of things; military ceremonies, church music, concerts, wedding receptions, etc.

The Covid lockdown really put a damper on all of that, and on a sad personal note, it was part of the reasons a friend of mine - the drummer for the wedding band I gig with - took his life a few months back. His entire world and income revolved around teaching and gigging, and all of that evaporated in the midst of the Covid 19 lockdowns. I guess he came to a place where he didn't feel he could go on. Several of us in the band reached out to him, but by that point he'd stopped answer the phone, texts, etc.

In any case, I wish the OP the best of luck. Find a purpose for your music, and find the social interaction with other musicians if you can - I believe it's the key to continuing on with it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: