• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Piccolo Trumpet Stand?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Piccolo Trumpet Stand? Reply with quote

What works well with a long bell Schilke design? New to pic, and I just don't know.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
JoshRzepka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Piccolo Trumpet Stand? Reply with quote

cbtj51 wrote:
What works well with a long bell Schilke design? New to pic, and I just don't know.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I have used a clarinet stand, but be careful as it is easier to tip than a standard trumpet stand.

I recently build a stand that uses the in bell stands (k&m) that I mounted to a wooden base. It currently is configured to hold my Bb, C, flugelhorn, and picc.
It's just for home as the stands have been permanently attached to some conduit pipes/threads for stability. That they can be swapped - but they'll never be able to be used with the original legs.
Denis Wick Artist
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Piccolo Trumpet Stand? Reply with quote

JoshRzepka wrote:
I have used a clarinet stand, but be careful as it is easier to tip than a standard trumpet stand.
...I recently build a stand that uses the in bell stands (k&m) that I mounted to a wooden base. .

Thanks Josh! Is that the older style K&M clarinet stand or the newer one? They look a little different in the build other than the obvious 4 leg vs the 5 leg design.

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
JoshRzepka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Piccolo Trumpet Stand? Reply with quote

cbtj51 wrote:
JoshRzepka wrote:
...I recently build a stand that uses the in bell stands (k&m) that I mounted to a wooden base. .

Thanks Josh! Is that to older style K&M clarinet stand or the newer one? They look a little different in the build other than the obvious 4 leg vs the 5 leg design.

Mike

Not sure ... I've had it for at least 15 years. I bought it new.
Denis Wick Artist
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hercules flute/clarinet stand that also works for piccolo. My pic is a short model--reviews I've read say it will hold a long model pic as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Hercules-DS640BB-Flute-Clarinet-Stand/dp/B001AX7CXY
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the worries I have is that the P5-4 style piccolos have a very high center of gravity; four valves at the very top. While in-bell clarinet stands are super convenient, I've always been leery of using them. The legs are too short for real stability, as the weight of a clarinet is centered, where the majority of the weight of a piccolo trumpet is way off to one axis. Even if you are always careful to line the valves up with one of the legs, it's still a shaky situation (pun definitely intended!)

The best solution I've come up with is to take one of the old Alsop in-bell stands and make the following modifications:

- remove the adjustable bell rest; if I recall correctly, to get it completely off the stem, you have to remove the end cap.

- fashion a pad for the three pieces of plastic on the base where the piccolo bell will now rest.

- measure the optimal distance for the upright to extend into the piccolo bell, mark it, then cut to size using a hacksaw or a pipe cutter.

- measure and trim the three legs so they will fit into the upright.

This arrangement is much sturdier because the legs are longer, especially if the valves are set in line with the largest diameter leg. It sort of fits in the piccolo bell in the case; it extends 1-1/2 - 2" beyond the bell. As I almost always carry a multi-horn case, I usually put it in a Crown Royal bag and stick it in the bell of whichever big horn doesn't have a K&M stand in it. If you have a cloth to protect the bell, it can be safely used to hold a big horn while you are playing piccolo, if needed.

HTH

Ben

p.s. while I was typing, forum user spitvalve posted a link to a very sturdy looking Hercules stand. It looks very well made; however, the Alsop stand would take up far less space in a bag and I'm sure it weighs substantially
less...

Last edited by benlewis on Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Piccolo trumpet stand Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have an older KM clarinet stand. 3 metal legs that are pretty long. It holds my P5-4 with good stability.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my P5-4, I tried several commercially available stands, most of which were the clarinet stands previously mentioned. While they did work, the bases were too small and it was easy to knock over the horn. What worked great was one the the spider trumpet stands. I think I had to cut the center post down a bit but the horn fit well and was extremely stable. Plus it could be collapsed as designed for easy storage in a mute bag. When I switched to a P7-4 with its shorter bell, I just cut the center post further down. The horn is extremely stable and the stand still folds up as designed.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a clarinet peg with a relatively large base that is essentially two flat metal pieces that swivels in line for storage and opens up to an X for use. I think the lower part is from K&M but I don't recall where I got the clarinet peg.

Peg
K&M 15224-000-55 (not my peg but I suspect it would work)
https://www.k-m.de/us/products/stands-and-accessories-for-instruments/wind-instruments/15224-clarinet-peg-black?c=214
Base
K&M 17710-005-55
https://www.k-m.de/us/products/stands-and-accessories-for-instruments/wind-instruments/17710-foldable-base-black?c=214

I'm shooting from the hip here. Please research further before spending $.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Troy Sargent
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spyder stand

https://www.hornguys.com/products/spyder-stand

They have a smaller tip for piccolo trumpet included (at least mine did). I have 4 of these and love them. Very stable and quite light.

The small bases of the clarinet stands always made me nervous.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
p.s. while I was typing, forum user spitvalve posted a link to a very sturdy looking Hercules stand. It looks very well made; however, the Alsop stand would take up far less space in a bag and I'm sure it weighs substantially
less...

Yes, the Hercules stands are not necessarily bag-friendly. The last time I used my pic in public I took the piccolo peg off of the single base and put it on my Hercules triple stand in place of one of the regular trumpet/cornet pegs, since
I was also using trumpet and flugel on the performance. I like the Hercules stands for their versatility, sturdiness, and interchangeability...but again, not bag friendly! I mainly use them at home when I want to have all my horns out.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Sargent wrote:
Spyder stand

https://www.hornguys.com/products/spyder-stand

They have a smaller tip for piccolo trumpet included (at least mine did). I have 4 of these and love them. Very stable and quite light.

The small bases of the clarinet stands always made me nervous.

+1 I just pull the knob off the flugel stand and it works fine without a tip.
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a K&M Clarinet stand on my Stomvi. I cut one of my wife's old socks into a cone, stitched it up, and stretched it over the peg so it doesn't wobble. Getting rid of that wobble really helps the overall stability, but if you're really worried about it tipping, just line up the valve casing with the legs.

Put the horn in your lap for a fast change. Also, you don't really want to do a fast change to a stand anyway because the peg of any stand for a picc will have a pretty pointed end and it's a good way to get a ping in your bell. Ask me how I know....
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 years ago I bought a SPYDER stand, just took the tip off and that was that. jw
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the insight and direction. That's one of my favourite things about TH!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Piccolo trumpet stand Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello all,
I have an older KM clarinet stand. 3 metal legs that are pretty long. It holds my P5-4 with good stability.

I'm pretty sure that's what I use as well. At the time of purchase, KM just came out with a different clarinet stand that wasn't as suitable as the older one. It took a little bit of hunting to find the older one. It's worked out OK for me.
Quote:
just line up the valve casing with the legs.

That's what I do, too.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Piccolo trumpet stand Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have this one as well, and have never had issues with my 9830
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Piccolo trumpet stand Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
Hello all,

I'm pretty sure that's what I use as well. At the time of purchase, KM just came out with a different clarinet stand that wasn't as suitable as the older one. It took a little bit of hunting to find the older one. It's worked out OK for me.
Quote:
just line up the valve casing with the legs.

That's what I do, too.

I feel much better with a wider base. Much too easy for the horn to get nudged so the weight winds up between the legs and down it goes. This is particularly problematic in a crowded pit when I've got a number of horns and way too many mutes on the floor.

Though it hasn't been mentioned I've at times simply put my picc on my K&M 5-leg trumpet stand. It doesn't go down very far but it stays put well enough for a short time if I'm juggling horns. I probably wouldn't leave it there for long.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Jim19043
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Blayman Stands at www.blaymanmusic.com. They are more expensive, but have very heavy bases and are modular, so you can mix and match bases and pegs to accommodate different instruments. The pegs are made of a delrin: very durable and non-scratching. I purchased two B-flat trumpet pegs, two risers and two rectangular bases that were on inventory clear-out sale in 2020, and if there were cosmetic blemishes I could not find any. I believe they have some woodwind pegs on sale.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full Disclosure: I own Heritage Music Products. Our pic pegs are very good and can be made to fit other manufacturers stands or our stands.

https://heritagemusicproducts.com/store/pegs/

Thanks and stay safe.

Gordon Stump
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: