• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece consultations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dkjcliff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece consultations Reply with quote

Are there any well known/respected mouthpiece makers that do online video consultations? As I near the one-year mark of my comeback and my embouchure is becoming more developed, I'm getting the sense that I've been gravitating to the wrong size of mouthpiece for my physical characteristics. It would be great if I could get a mouthpiece expert to watch me play and make some recommendations. Thanks.
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece Consultations Reply with quote

One option is Phyllis Stork of Stork Mouthpieces. Set up a Skype meeting with her. She will help select a mouthpiece that fits your facial structure.
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there is not a right size mouthpiece based on physical characteristics. You can learn to play whatever mouthpiece you like. You can fit your lips into a small mouthpiece if you have big lips, and likewise if you have very small lips, you can play tuba.

Mouthpiece choice is about sound, type of playing, and response that you are looking for.
Jim19043
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another maker that does consultations is Bob Reeves Brass Mouthpieces. Their website says they do consultations by phone, email, or Facebook Messenger. I do not know if they do FaceTime or Skype or Zoom consultations, but you might give them a call at (800) 837-0980 or email them at info@bobreeves.com. Since you are in San Diego, you might consider an in-person consultation at their office in Valencia, just north of Los Angeles.
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece consultations Reply with quote

Dkjcliff wrote:
Are there any well known/respected mouthpiece makers that do online video consultations? As I near the one-year mark of my comeback and my embouchure is becoming more developed, I'm getting the sense that I've been gravitating to the wrong size of mouthpiece for my physical characteristics. It would be great if I could get a mouthpiece expert to watch me play and make some recommendations. Thanks.

We do via mpcsales@austincustombrass.com

-T

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to study with a player that knows how to teach. jw
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilder wrote:
You need to study with a player that knows how to teach. jw

Sounds like the above suggestions are solid then.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about video but GR gets a lot of buzz about their consultations.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: GR Consultant Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Don't know about video but GR gets a lot of buzz about their consultations.

I had a fitting session with Alexa Yates a few years ago. Time and money well spent.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Stomvi does these consultations too.
K. O. has published some videos about consulting on mouthpieces in person. Not sure about video consultation.
https://stomvi-usa.com/contact-form/
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Titmus "KT", after 34 years as Warburton's mpc man has just opened a custom mouthpiece shop in his Orlando home. He diagnoses in person or over the phone. www.ktcustommouthpiece.com

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warburton
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no scientific foolproof method of determining the best mouthpiece for anyone. There are just theories and tendencies which may or not apply very well depending on the particular player involved.

The physical characteristics of a particular player are numerous (lip dimensions, jaw positioning, teeth, oral cavity, muscle structure/strength, embouchure profile, etc., etc.) and are all interrelated in very complex ways. There are also many different ways players approach playing. Players also have their own personal definitions of what they find comfortable and uncomfortable and what works for them and what does not.

There are so many variables that it would be impossible to identify with precision the best mouthpiece for someone based on physical characteristics alone. The best you can reasonably hope for is a statement that "Based on what we see about your physical characteristics coupled with what we observe about your playing coupled with what we know about the theory of mouthpiece design and how mouthpiece design is predicted to affect results we predict that (insert mouthpiece specifications here) will result in (insert specifics of improvement here). However, in your personal situation we reserve the right to be wrong or not quite as right as we'd hoped."

Mouthpieces are very personal in terms of the player's perceptions of how they feel, how they play and the results obtained by playing them. There's nothing wrong with mouthpiece consultations. I think for most players there is a benefit to working with someone who has an excellent knowledge of the mechanics of mouthpieces and the predicted effects of those mechanics. At the end of the day, however, mouthpiece recommendations are "recommendations". They are predictions based on the best evidence known to the person doing the predicting. That evidence may be misleading, incomplete or lacking in some way. The predictions may require more fine tuning/major adjusting later once the results are actually known. They are not guarantees.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also assume that anyone associated with a mouthpiece maker, would have you play their mouthpiece and recommend any changes to be done with their mouthpieces. That limits your choices. Years ago, I did the questionnaire for GR and ended up with a great mouthpiece choice. However, over time GR did not have a mouthpiece that matched my goals, so I moved on.

I'm a big fan of the quantity method. Keep buying and trying until you have a box of mouthpieces. Every once in a while go through the box again. You will learn something and may find a gem you passed up earlier on. And of course, repeat that whenever you feel the need.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
I would also assume that anyone associated with a mouthpiece maker, would have you play their mouthpiece and recommend any changes to be done with their mouthpieces. That limits your choices. Years ago, I did the questionnaire for GR and ended up with a great mouthpiece choice. However, over time GR did not have a mouthpiece that matched my goals, so I moved on.

I'm a big fan of the quantity method. Keep buying and trying until you have a box of mouthpieces. Every once in a while go through the box again. You will learn something and may find a gem you passed up earlier on. And of course, repeat that whenever you feel the need.

There is logic to that approach. My current go-to mpc for the last three years is a GR 67M that I bought in 2003. There have been many trials of many brands since then including other GR's. The match between horns and chops can change over the years.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have boxes for cornet, trumpet, french horn and baritone. Same process. Baritone or euphonium has different shanks depending on US or EU. I went to try new euphoniums yesterday. I brought three mouthpieces to cover the options.

You just never know and an example was a recent play of an old cornet. Out came the box and a King 7M was the perfect match. I also collect vintage mouthpieces for that purpose. You really just never know.

Mouthpieces are relatively cheap and we are ever changing in our structure and development.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Filius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
I would also assume that anyone associated with a mouthpiece maker, would have you play their mouthpiece and recommend any changes to be done with their mouthpieces.

For what it's worth, I had a consultation with Phyllis Stork and she focused on technique -- embouchure, breathing, opening the throat, etc. She said my mouthpiece -- not one of hers -- was fine and it seemed like she wasn't really interested in talking about it. She never mentioned the subject except to ask what I was using, and as soon as she had an idea what size and depth it was, she had nothing more to say about it. I brought it up again because I really wanted a mouthpiece recommendation, but all she said again was that mine was fine.

Now maybe that's because my technique was so bad that she wanted to focus on that first. Still, I expected her to recommend at least one of her company's products, in fact I was disappointed that she didn't. But it really seemed like she was only interested in solving my technique issues.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don’t use his mouthpieces, I know Dr. Dave at Wedge Mouthpieces does online video consultations.
bjcord

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I handle all of the mouthpiece consultations at Monette by phone and email (and in-person appointments), and will sometimes ask a player to send a short video so I can see and hear how they play.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filius wrote:
For what it's worth, I had a consultation with Phyllis Stork and she focused on technique -- embouchure, breathing, opening the throat, etc. She said my mouthpiece -- not one of hers -- was fine and it seemed like she wasn't really interested in talking about it.

Though not a mouthpiece consultant, the technician that maintains my horn is usually willing to offer his insight on musical matters if asked...and more often than not, he advises against purchasing something . He's a great guy and I find his advice solid and trustworthy.

His workshop has a room to test instruments and on the wall is a cartoon that basically says: if you buy a new mouthpiece rather than practice long tones, you'll get slapped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: