• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Favorite Mouthpiece You Own

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favorite mouthpiece is anything other than a Bach 1C!
I took lessons for a few years during high school in the mid-1960s from a symphony orchestra principal trumpeter (no names, please) and he insisted I play on a Bach 1C as he did. That thing was just way too big for me!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
Claude1949 wrote:
Blessing #13 My all-time favorite & I have 200+

Good thing you have so many mouthpieces! Otherwise your papers would be flying all over the place!

Oh you are so funny.....you should have been a comedian named Soda Cracker.....
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coxmusic1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I settled on Pickett mouthpieces after a Bach, Monette and GR safari. I like the 2 series for most of my playing. When I think I need a change, I now think of those famous Stephen Stills lyrics "Love the one you're with..."
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
Stomvi Flex 3FVR with J6 backbore, threaded by K.O. to use my Warburton #4 rim, 3.5 coupler. Works great on both of my Bb trumpets.

I'm w/you on Stomvi. Amazingly good mouthpieces! I have a "bach" style Stomvi #9 & it is one of the best mouthpieces I have ever tried........
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Bach 1 1/2B. Nice full sound, and the upper register is easy despite the cup depth. A little tubby on Bb, so I have it on C now.

I'm a fan of the Bach 5C. The description in the Bach mouthpiece manual is spot on: "The tone is lively and rich." I just sometimes have trouble with it at the fringes of range (sound thins out at G below the staff; backs up big time above high C).

Believe it or not, a cheap Glory 3C that I bought for around $8 is one of the best mouthpieces I've ever played. I've used it for everything from orchestra to lead. First mouthpiece I've ever hit G over high C and double C on.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And NOW I received my Stomvi Flex 14A and my quest is OVER! This is simply the best mouthpiece I have ever played..and that's all i've got to say about that!
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:
And NOW I received my Stomvi Flex 14A and my quest is OVER! This is simply the best mouthpiece I have ever played..and that's all i've got to say about that!

I bought a Flex S14A on eBay out of curiosity since I used to play a 14A4A many years ago. The rim feels identical to the Warburton rim on my 3FVR and it has none of the stuffiness or bottoming out issues I had with the old 14A4A. I can flip between my two Flex pieces with no embouchure adjustment issues. And the Flex S14A is plenty loud when I want to open up and blow. I'm very pleased with both of them. And the couplers really make a difference when you get them dialed in.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: FAVORITE MOUTHPICE Reply with quote

Wedge mouthpieces!
Pickett Mouthpieces
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Favorite mouthpiece you own Reply with quote

Just by length of time I used it my old Mt. Vernon 1963 1C would be, I guess. A couple of my daughters know they have my permission to put it in the casket with me when I pass. That may be sick, it is the way it is.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
Claude1949 wrote:

I bought a Flex S14A on eBay out of curiosity since I used to play a 14A4A many years ago. The rim feels identical to the Warburton rim on my 3FVR and it has none of the stuffiness or bottoming out issues I had with the old 14A4A. I can flip between my two Flex pieces with no embouchure adjustment issues. And the Flex S14A is plenty loud when I want to open up and blow. I'm very pleased with both of them. And the couplers really make a difference when you get them dialed in.

I do believe there is some science (or magic) to the Stomvi Flex; mine just resonates better and plays easier than any other mouthpiece I have ever tried! Some doubters or haters here say that all the hype about these is false; well, if it is, then there is magic because they ARE better. I will never switch!!!!!!!
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Wedge but these days the ACB3CS is stealing my heart.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 5b and Bach 7c
dkmatthews

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From high school days: Bach 3C

Currently: Warburton 3MD cup on a 8* backbore
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new gold plated 7c and older large letter 5b
Dave_3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late to the party, but...

Bobby Shew Jazz, for my trumpet.
Conn 4 (long shank...original to the horn) for my cornet.

But I could live with a Bach 3C or Curry 3C, for either one, if necessary.

Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often recommend my students try a Bobby Shew Jazz. It's a good versatile mouthpiece that works for most people.

I've been loving the ACB 1.25CS for a couple months now.
jmock

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JW--

I got my 14 year old son playing on the Bobby Shew Jazz, too. I do not like the Bach mouthpieces (any of them, doesn't matter which model, never did like them) and the Bobby Shew Jazz mouthpiece is a very nice improvement over the Bach 3C that provides a nice clear full tone.

In the past I had people try to get me playing on a Bach 1 1/2C. Nice tone, too big, takes way too much effort to play...3C is too tight, but opening the throat without professionally adjusting other parameters doesn't really help.

I did try several mouthpieces in the past: Zottola, Shilke 13C4 (is a good mouthpiece), and others, but my safari has been rather limited.

For several years I have been playing on the Marcinkiewicz Bobby Shew 2 mouthpiece.

However, I just literally received the GR WB Classic mouthpiece yesterday from Wayne Bergeron Music--and from the first note, it appears to be better than what I've been using. I'm going to get the GR WB Studio mouthpiece when I can find one (I'm on Wayne's waiting list).

So far, of all the mouthpieces I've ever used I prefer the GR WB Classic, but I do like the higher range on the Marcinkiewicz Shew 2 as it is "easier" for me right now.

John
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmock wrote:
JW--

I got my 14 year old son playing on the Bobby Shew Jazz, too. I do not like the Bach mouthpieces (any of them, doesn't matter which model, never did like them) and the Bobby Shew Jazz mouthpiece is a very nice improvement over the Bach 3C that provides a nice clear full tone.

In the past I had people try to get me playing on a Bach 1 1/2C. Nice tone, too big, takes way too much effort to play...3C is too tight, but opening the throat without professionally adjusting other parameters doesn't really help.

I did try several mouthpieces in the past: Zottola, Shilke 13C4 (is a good mouthpiece), and others, but my safari has been rather limited.

For several years I have been playing on the Marcinkiewicz Bobby Shew 2 mouthpiece.

However, I just literally received the GR WB Classic mouthpiece yesterday from Wayne Bergeron Music--and from the first note, it appears to be better than what I've been using. I'm going to get the GR WB Studio mouthpiece when I can find one (I'm on Wayne's waiting list).

So far, of all the mouthpieces I've ever used I prefer the GR WB Classic, but I do like the higher range on the Marcinkiewicz Shew 2 as it is "easier" for me right now.

John

I love my WB Studio. The best lead/salsa/latin/jazz piece I’ve come across. Works for me, but not for everyone. I want to try the WB Classic eventually to see how it stacks up against my AR MLC.
jmock

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As compared to the Marcinkiewicz Shew 2, the GR WB Classic has a more focused, richer tone and I find myself adapting to it quite well. However, I am coming back after a few years of not playing (long story...too long), so for right now I find the higher range to be easier on the Shew 2, which I used for years.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: