• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet/Flugelhorn mouthpiece difference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: Cornet/Flugelhorn mouthpiece difference Reply with quote

Other than shank diameter, what are the differences between a stereotype cornet and a flugelhorn mouthpiece? I know they're both supposed to be deep and have V-shaped cups, but how do they differ exactly? Are cornet mouthpieces traditionally shallower?
Flugelnut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the cornet is literally a "little horn", it needs a funnel (or V) shaped mouthpiece cup like a French horn's.
The flugelhorn hails from the bugle family, and requires a more bell-shaped
cup.
That is the basic difference, and of course makers add their own miriad variations of rim shapes, throat sizes, and backbore profiles to achieve what they consider to be perfection in sound, intonation, etc.
Experiment and have fun!
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. So essentially the 'basic' cornet mouthpiece is closer to an actual V than a flugelhorn mouthpiece. Interesting.
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mouthpieces I use (GR) are more like what you first described. My cornet mouthpiece cup is deeper than a trumpet mouthpiece but not a full V cup, and my flugelhorn mouthpiece is the one more like a funnel or French horn cup.

You mentioned shank. On a flugelhorn, there are several standards and it's important to get the right one for the best intonation. Cornets, I think, are pretty standard but I've run into some older ones that seemed to take a bigger diameter. That might be from wear in the receiver, though; others here know cornet tech far better than I.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think it depends on what you expect to get from your cornet, and what cornet you are using. If you want a classic, very dark British Brass Band sound, deep funnel shaped cup, likely with a large orifice. You want to play in a group that includes trumpets, I like a 1 1/2C. A bit darker, I like the 1 or 1B. I even use a shallow Schillke 15B4 for an old fashioned Dixie sound on the Super Recording cornet (with Olds Shank). Define your goals, I think.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
Define your goals, I think.

Indeed. It's something I find hard for cornet, being a trumpet player for most of my life. Had a hard time grasping the cornet's sound and purpose, but with the recent threads and comments about it, I'm starting to understand why it people like cornets so much, and how they're definitely not just a stubby trumpet or a poor man's flugelhorn.
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played trumpet for 60 years, and flugelhorn for 50, but I'm coming to the cornet only recently. It is fun to discover which horn works best in which situation. The cornet gives a sweeter sound that can adapt well, but there are some cases you will discover where it's really the better choice by far.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kansul Mouthpiece Comparator is still available, why not take a look. The Wick cornet mouthpieces are at the very end of the list - WK 2,3,4, and 5. Various fluglehorn mouthpieces are marked FL.

http://kanstul.com/MPcompare/MouthpieceComparator.html

I've made some OK cornet mouthpieces out of Bach 3CFL mouthpieces - shortening and grinding down the shanks and tinkering with the backbore. They seem close to the egg shaped cups found in old Conn cornet mouthpieces.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent suggestion, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: