• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1950 King Liberty 2B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevericks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: 1950 King Liberty 2B Reply with quote

Sold a “like new” horn a couple of days agar and needed a sturdy case to ship the horn in so emptied an old case that contained a King Liberty 2B. Guess when I got the King I was swamped with work and forgot about it. Just tried it out and was amazed at the sound. It is a fairly open horn with a strong dense tone, on the bright side, that reminds me closely of my Olds Super (my personal favorite). Slotting and intonation are spot on. The horn “feels” like the metal is very similar to a Super as well- not a soft feel like with a strad. The construction also looks high quality. Nice finishing, well made valve caps, etc. Anyway, would be glad of hearing others impressions of the horn. Suprised these aren’t rated similar to the better Olds.
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many, many moons ago when I started playing I was given my uncle's 1950's Liberty 2B to use. I remember my teachers always commenting on the horn...not real common even then. My uncle had a little combo "The Mellotones" in college and used it for a number of years. I got it in around 1970 or so.

After I moved to a Bach I realized that the horn I had been playing was still pretty darn good. The King is, I believe, a medium/small bore instrument with a nice focused sound. Mine was quite solid and held up through most of my Jr./Sr. high years and then my cousin took it over for more use when he started playing.

Hang on to it!
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King made wonderful trumpets back then. My first trumpet was a Liberty from the late 30s or early 40s. They clearly knew what they were doing back then at the King plant. Too bad that this kind of craftmanship has changed. Now, there seem to be people here and there that are great craftsmen that make great horns. Well, I guess that is not so bad after all. At least, they are still great craftsmen here. Roy Lawler was a good example. There are plenty of others.
TrumpetHippy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the game but I just recently refurbished a Liberty 2B from around 1947.

The slotting on the horn is incredible, I personally feel that the horn is buttery in the lower to mid register but definitely brightens up as you work your way up the horn. I recently bought a Super 20 SilverSonic Symphony which is a fabulous horn yet I keep finding myself wanting to play this raw brass 2B that I had bought with the intensions of reselling. I'd say keep the horn you never know when you'll want to change things up!

The HN White Co website says that they also made these horns with the sterling bell option but I have yet to even see a picture of one, I would love to know if anyone here has seen one.
Aaronis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetHippy wrote:
Late to the game but I just recently refurbished a Liberty 2B from around 1947.

The slotting on the horn is incredible, I personally feel that the horn is buttery in the lower to mid register but definitely brightens up as you work your way up the horn. I recently bought a Super 20 SilverSonic Symphony which is a fabulous horn yet I keep finding myself wanting to play this raw brass 2B that I had bought with the intensions of reselling. I'd say keep the horn you never know when you'll want to change things up!

The HN White Co website says that they also made these horns with the sterling bell option but I have yet to even see a picture of one, I would love to know if anyone here has seen one.

Never seen a sterling bell on a Liberty myself, however, they were common, and I believe the standard on the King Silvertone's.

Austin
1955 Mt. Vernon Bach
1947 Olds Super
Holton Revelation Model 48
1964 Holton Galaxy Cornet
TrumpetHippy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaronis wrote:

Never seen a sterling bell on a Liberty myself, however, they were common, and I believe the standard on the King Silvertone's.

Austin

Yup! Silvertone was the name given to the liberty line of horns when they are produced with the sterling bell. IMO they're great players and arguably some of the most beautiful instruments ever made, gotta love that old engravings done on vintage horns before the 50's. Later changed the name to Silversonic after some beef with Sears but there are a few threads on the topic already.

But yeah a 2B silvertone trumpet would be a killer for sure, King has a few white whale horns out there that not alot of people have seen.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1933 Silvertone I bought from the grandson of the original owner. It came in pristine condition and is one of the most fun horns to play in my collection. I'd have no problem taking it to a jam.

Wayne Bergeron was at my house and he played a few scales on the horn and said, "This plays like a modern horn." Quite a statement!

I also have a 1938 Silvertone Model No. 2. It's quite different from the 1933 horn and the balance is way forward so you have to be conscious of keeping the bell up. It plays fine but the balance is an issue. I much prefer the 1933 horn.

I also have a 1953 Silver Sonic. An awesome horn.

I also have a 1957 Super 20 Symphony Silver Sonic Dual Bore. It's the model Harry James played except his was a balanced trumpet (valves moved forward to the center of the horn). This horn plays great, too.

All of them have sterling silver bells. The 1933 and 1938 horns have amazing engraving (the "flower" pattern on the 1933 and the "deco" pattern on the 1938).

These are some of the best horns ever made and they have historical significance, too. Plus, except for the 1938 horn with its funky balance issue, they are very fun to play.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty #1 & #2 Silvertones are fairly common. 2B Silvertones are very rare as they were only available 1937-1940, and I don't think the 3B was offered with the option - at least not stock.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20

Last edited by OldSchoolEuph on Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Aaronis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetHippy wrote:
Aaronis wrote:

Austin

Yup! Silvertone was the name given to the liberty line of horns when they are produced with the sterling bell. IMO they're great players and arguably some of the most beautiful instruments ever made, gotta love that old engravings done on vintage horns before the 50's. Later changed the name to Silversonic after some beef with Sears but there are a few threads on the topic already.

But yeah a 2B silvertone trumpet would be a killer for sure, King has a few white whale horns out there that not alot of people have seen.

Gotcha! I'm a 3rd generation player in my family, and we used to have a King Silvertone and no one knows what happened to it! Of course it disappeared probably before my time. I may have to get one if I can find one a decent price sometime. Thanks.

Austin
1955 Mt. Vernon Bach
1947 Olds Super
Holton Revelation Model 48
1964 Holton Galaxy Cornet
The Bugler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: 1958 King Liberty II (2nd generation) Silversonic Reply with quote

I own a 1958 King Liberty 2 Silversonic with the sterling silver bell, and I have photos for TrumpetHippy if I can upload them. White made a King Liberty 2 (1950 & up) Balanced trumpet that was all brass, and they made a King liberty 2 Silversonic with a sterling silver bell. Mine is a very rare combination of both … A King Liberty 2 Silversonic (sterling silver bell) Balanced model, so yes, Liberty’s with a sterling silver bell from the factory, even a Balanced model, do exist. I bought this one from the grandson of Cathryn White (HN White family) from their family’s private collection of horns.[img][/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: