• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Brass KAI Groove Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Best Brass KAI Groove Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has experience with either the Best Brass Groove Mouthpiece or the special KAI model? They are doing some different things compared to traditional mouthpiece design. The multi-length system, determined by cup depth, remind me of Brasswind Research Mouthpieces, but I've never seen anything like the KAI design.

Typically finished in gold, I have opted for silver, as I play with dry chops and prefer silver to the slippery-feeling gold finish.

The KAI model features a unique cup design called the 'accelerator', designed to aid in range.

Here is the text from the Best Brass website:
As described above, ‘Groove' assists the vibration of the lips in all registers, but the 'Accelerator' produces this effect specifically in high registers, and will literally accelerate the vibration, allowing the player to easily add up to a fifth to your range*, all while keeping the rich sound and rim comfort of our C cup. Whether you currently play our mouthpieces or not, you're going to want to give Kai a try!
* we should note that some of our testers were unable to adapt to this unorthodox design, but about three out of four were able to add significantly to their high register. The result is quite surprising even to us!

I just couldn't resist trying one ... so the order has been made.

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Brass KAI Groove Mouthpiece Reply with quote

cyber_shake wrote:
The multi-length system, determined by cup depth, remind me of Brasswind Research Mouthpieces.

Don't forget Reeves Dynamic Mass too. I believe those pieces are designed with a similar concept.
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Brass KAI Groove Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Matthew Anklan wrote:
cyber_shake wrote:
The multi-length system, determined by cup depth, remind me of Brasswind Research Mouthpieces.

Don't forget Reeves Dynamic Mass too. I believe those pieces are designed with a similar concept.

Text from the Reeves website:
Bob Reeves Dynamic Mass Mouthpieces are built using a formula that determines how the mouthpiece is balanced from the cup depth. This includes the bore, backbore, and overall length.

I haven't played any of Bob's MPs ... thanks for that reminder.

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the KAI. It is a very comfortable rim and bite on my chops. Yes, it does add range. Tone is a tad brighter than my current favorite = Yamaha 14B4 GP. My issue is that I have fat lips that swell a bit when I play ... the 'accelerator' makes the cup smaller, so it tends to close down (my lips bottom out), once I've played for a while. Will spend more HTOF / Horn Time On Face to see if I can ultimately use it or not.

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this "Kai" mouthpiece have the "Groove" enhancement, too? Groove enhancement is in the throat.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
Does this "Kai" mouthpiece have the "Groove" enhancement, too? Groove enhancement is in the throat.

YES! You can see the 'groove' in this pic:

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting - thanks for posting; and your pics are a treat.

I'm a little surprised the initial downsize to the smaller interior cup isn't smooth; I'd think they'd want as little resistance in that area as possible. I'm sure they considered this; is the point addressed in their info?
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
Very interesting - thanks for posting; and your pics are a treat.

I'm a little surprised the initial downsize to the smaller interior cup isn't smooth; I'd think they'd want as little resistance in that area as possible. I'm sure they considered this; is the point addressed in their info?

Ah, mouthpiece technology! My Yamaha 14B4-GP has gold plate flowing from the outer rim to the cup, through the interior of the entire shank because of better sonic results. The Romeo Adaci Turbo Bore mouthpieces had a Miller Lite-like vortex rifling cut spinning through the inner throat to spin the air and increase efficiency. And Best Brass thinks a satin cup finish and the Groove treatment results in better playing characteristics. You can read all about 'why' at http://www.bestbrass.com/mouthpiece/ and click on the multiple links to read about all the different technology they utilize. Enjoy reading!

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
darksmoke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyber_shake wrote:
Will spend more HTOF / Horn Time On Face to see if I can ultimately use it or not.

Could you say anything in addition to the mouthpiece now some years down the road? Or was it not exactly what they make it out to be in all regards?
Thank you for any response given

I have to admit, I'm also interested in the physics behind their pieces quite a bit
-Callet SC6
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a Best Brass Groove 7E for a while...didn't know they had any 'special physics features' though, so in hindsight I might be a good testcase with less 'placebo effect'.

The mouthpiece played well in the upper register, but it was a very 'screamish' piece (it was a struggle blending in with the section on the more classical passages, but for rock/funk at FFF it was great). It did have a kinda raw jazzy sound I really liked, but ultimately I didn't feel it gave me an increased range or anything (at least, not much more than my current lead piece). It was also very shallow (almost flat) and very, very heavy. And switching between mouthpieces during a gig was really tough.

That was my experience though, ymmv.
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darksmoke wrote:
cyber_shake wrote:
Will spend more HTOF / Horn Time On Face to see if I can ultimately use it or not.

Could you say anything in addition to the mouthpiece now some years down the road? Or was it not exactly what they make it out to be in all regards?
Thank you for any response given

I have to admit, I'm also interested in the physics behind their pieces quite a bit

I tried it off and on over a year and a half, then sold it. As noted by me and others, the tone was very bright = too much for my liking. I continued to have issues with my flattish lips puffing after a short time playing, which closed down the cup and I couldn't play it. That is my issue for using too much pressure ... but that is my reality.

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: