• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Gig bag

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EastBayTrumpeter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Trumpet Gig bag Reply with quote

I'm looking for a basic gig bag for my student trumpet. In the future I'm looking to upgrade to a better higher quality horn so I'm considering that in the purchase.

I don't need a space for mutes or sheet music. Just something that will offer good protection of the horn and has a smaller profile than my Bach case.

Any recommendations? Thanks.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want sensible protection I wouldn't go with a gig bag. I use a Protec triple bag almost exclusively but don't expect much in the way of protection. Why not a Protec single case. I've got two. They're just a bit bigger than a gig bag but provide lots more protection.
Doesn't look like they sell the ones I have anymore but this one is pretty close.
https://www.protecstyle.com/TRUMPET-SLIMLINE-CLASSIC-PRO-PAC
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon Music has used/demo Cronkhite bags for $145. I have one and it’s very nice.

https://www.dillonmusic.com/search.php?search_query=Cronkhite%20&section=product

I don’t think any gig bag (i.e., dent bag) offers ‘good’ protection, but the Cronkhite is decent for a bag. FWIW.

Edit: I concur re: Protec. I’ve had several over the years and taken them on mass transit, including the NYC subway. Never let me down.

Last edited by arthurtwoshedsjackson on Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:47 am; edited 2 times in total
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of choices in a wide variety of prices. You can go to the WWBW website and search for "trumpet gig bags" and a lot of them come up. You can go to the Torpedo website and to the Reunion Blues website and see more. I'm sure others will chime in here with other choices and with recommendations.

My suggestion is to get a quality professional level gig bag that you can use for years to come. You should treat it as an investment for the long term.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a Gard Elite single, leather. No, it’s not a hard shell case, but there is some plastic or vinyl sheeting to give it a bit more rigidity, plus their suspension system, which suspends the horn inside the bag works well. There’s also a wooden disc to help protect the bell, and a padded cone that supports the bell.

I would never toss it in an equipment trailer or NEVER check it on a flight, but it’s quite protective for a bag.

Another great and obvious choice is the Torpedo Outlaw, only slightly heavier than a bag, great protection.

Brad
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by dstpt on Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaard. Stylish, protective, reasonable price.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is crazy cheap for a leather gig bag:

https://www.wwbw.com/Gard-Single-Trumpet-Gig-Bag-J26025-J26025000001000.wwbw?rNtt=gard%20trumpet%20bags&index=12

The light tan one is the same price but it's made of synthetic fabric:

https://www.wwbw.com/Gard-Single-Trumpet-Gig-Bag-J26023-J26023000001000.wwbw?rNtt=gard%20trumpet%20bags&index=17

If it was me and I wanted this style of bag and it wasn't an urgent need I'd reserve the red leather one and be patient.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I recently bought a Gard Elite single, leather. No, it’s not a hard shell case, but there is some plastic or vinyl sheeting to give it a bit more rigidity, plus their suspension system, which suspends the horn inside the bag works well. There’s also a wooden disc to help protect the bell, and a padded cone that supports the bell.

I would never toss it in an equipment trailer or NEVER check it on a flight, but it’s quite protective for a bag.

Another great and obvious choice is the Torpedo Outlaw, only slightly heavier than a bag, great protection.

Brad

I bought one of the first ones at ITG. While I have other gig bags, including the Cronkhite in leather which is excellent, my go to "bag", (it's really more of a case) is my leather Gard Elite. Excellent materials, excellent workmanship, and above all, excellent protection.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Altieri bag with the piccolo pocket ie mute pocket.
EastBayTrumpeter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your suggestions. It's nice to have first hand experience vs. "trusting" reviews on A**&^%. The case that came with Bach is 21.5 L x 9.5 H x 6 W. I would prefer to pay a few more bucks for quality not only for the protection and durability but the possible resale value.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Protec brand since its readily available and the reviews look good.

Oh, one more thing I should have mentioned I'll be receiving a flugehorn within a month and was curious if they make a bag that can hold a trumpet or flug.
EastBayTrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to follow-up and report that I purchased the Protec Explorer Gig bag. It was about $60. I think it will work out well.

There are 4 means of carrying the bag; a handle on the long side of the bag, a handle on one end of the bag opposite where the bell sits, a shoulder strap, and a backpack strap. The shoulder and backpack straps store away until you need them.

Theres also a pouch for music books. My 13" Macbook Pro and 12.9" Ipad Pro fit in this pouch, as well. And then theres another large zippered pouch which has 2 more smaller zippered pouches and slots for writing tools. It looks like the pouches for music books and utility stuff are lined with some type of water proofing.

I believe the bell is protected by a plastic insert and the remainder of the trumpet has a good amount of padding on the bottom of the bag and flanked by the two pouches on the sides.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful. Dent Bags ... I mean gig bags are a great resource to keep repair techs employed.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Be careful. Dent Bags ... I mean gig bags are a great resource to keep repair techs employed.

+1

A torpedo outlaw is the one , save some money and get it and forget anything else.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is lengthy, but it’s Glenn Cronkhite’s take on gig bags:

“A FEW WORDS ABOUT GIG BAGS FROM GLENN CRONKHITE . . .

Bottom line! As musicians, our well-being and our livelihood depend in part on our instrument being exactly the same when we pull it out of the case at the gig as it was when we put it in after the last one.

Gig bags have been getting a bad rep lately, and after visiting NAMM 2005, I can see why. I don't think the people who design some of these things have the health of a musical instrument at heart. Over 40 years ago, when I made the first soft cases that actually protected an instrument, mine were the only ones available. Now, however, gig bags have become so commonplace that it's hard to know just what to look for. Why, and under what circumstances, will they work well? I think we need some straight talk at this point, and what I'd like to focus on is not price point - it's point of impact.

First of all, a gig bag is not for everyone. If you have other people handle your instrument or you tend to stack stuff on top of it in the van, forget it! On the other hand, if you like to keep it close to you, and you handle it with care, a good gig bag can make your life a lot easier, and can be the cheapest insurance you ever buy. However, all gig bags are not created equal, so be careful when looking for the right one. I believe these things are a safe alternative to a hard case only when made by someone who knows what he's doing.

There are many reasons why cheaply made gig bags don't protect the instrument.
MATERIALS: Foam padding is usually too soft, thread is too thin, outside is too easily damaged.
CRAFTSMANSHIP: Let's face it, the last thing you need is for your case to fall apart on you in the middle of a tour.
DESIGN: A case is not a purse, nor is it skateboard gear.
The contents of a gig bag are easily damaged, extremely expensive, and hard to replace. It's nice if it looks hip, but its design must honor its function. Also, I don't like all the extra pockets, laces, chains, etc. I see on some of these things, all of which can get hung up on anything, or anyone, you happen to pass. If you can't move easily through a crowd without bumping into things, you're in trouble with a gig bag. I know, it's great to have everything you use in one bag, but all that extra weight and bulk just make your case a bigger target. If you lug a lot of stuff around, put some of it in a separate bag. Your instrument will thank you.

Another issue is FIT: If your case is not properly balanced, or the instrument moves around inside, look out! Beware the company that has a limited number of generic sizes and tells you they fit everything. What these companies do is make a case that fits the largest instrument in each category and the smaller ones end up dancing around inside the case. Not good! This is why, if you have an instrument that has an unusual shape, I will custom fit your case. At times, it may require your participation (some measurements or a tracing), but considering the case may be with you for the life of the instrument, it's time well spent.

During my lifetime as a musician and as a craftsman, I have been fortunate to have known a lot of people who did something extremely well. Most of them shared something in common. They had a philosophy about what they did - an internal statement of intent which they used to evaluate and direct their work. In the beginning of my work, when I was trying to decide if a gig bag was something the music world needed, I had my own statement of intent. It has not changed. Build a Ferrari, lightweight and streamlined. Build it tough, to take a beating. Build it to fit and protect what's inside. And make it look as elegant as possible. Otherwise, don't bother!”

Brad
PINCHUNO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.brassbags.co.uk/

Worth looking at.

I have a double and it's perfect for trumpet, mutes, ipad.all sorts of extras.
Or Bb tpt and a smaller model tpt.

Reinforced boards come as standard. Very light.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with a torpedo outlaw or such also. They are great product. Only thing that tarnishes their great reputation is the Velox stuff and how they are handling it. Their existing line is great (I used their Classic for single horn days and use a Coyote for multiple horn trips where I worry about bumps otherwise I daily now a Gard Elite Double).
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad's post is excellent. The old Cronkhite (and new, I think) bags are still gig bags but they are made to actually protect as best they can.

When I was teaching, some of my students would come in with horns in various branded gig bags - some actual gig bag makers, some rando Amazon/Ebay ""brands" and they often were extremely light on the padding. I wouldn't be surprised if you could dent your horn just by having it in the back seat in those kind of bags.

The ProTec Gig Bags aren't terrible, but they're not great and certainly not on the Cronkhite level. Their cases are solid, though, in my opinion,
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cronkhites are the best gigbags to this date, and have been for almost half a century.

My single is 40+ years, still going great!!

Please, show me any other maker that can live up to that...
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
EastBayTrumpeter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Brad's post is excellent. The old Cronkhite (and new, I think) bags are still gig bags but they are made to actually protect as best they can.

When I was teaching, some of my students would come in with horns in various branded gig bags - some actual gig bag makers, some rando Amazon/Ebay ""brands" and they often were extremely light on the padding. I wouldn't be surprised if you could dent your horn just by having it in the back seat in those kind of bags.

The ProTec Gig Bags aren't terrible, but they're not great and certainly not on the Cronkhite level. Their cases are solid, though, in my opinion,

I would consider the Cronkhite bag for my new Flug. One bag I was looking at only weighs 2 pounds. And I appreciate the YKK zippers.

I do like the Protec bag for its form factor and weight but will heed all of your advice about its lack of protection. When transporting the bag to and from work I place it in a 7-gallon bucket to protect it further.

Can anyone tell me what areas of the trumpet are most likely to get dinged while in a bag? Perhaps I could reinforce it, somehow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: