• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getting around the open F-half-sharp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Getting around the open F-half-sharp Reply with quote

I've recently "discovered" my range above high E (on a Bb horn), so this is fairly new to me...

Moving between high E and High G, I find myself landing on the very flat F# (almost a perfect quartertone) open partial when going E to G or F to G. Not every time, but far too often to make the G feel secure.

1/3 G doesn't speak well on my horn (yet? ... 1/3 F is great ...) and 1/2 is also flat. Any other ideas to consider?
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, It's the 11th overtone series.. a very sharp F.. (you can sound a C, D, E, a very sharp F, and G all with valves up)

I find the E works best open, F is 1st valve, F# is second valve, and G is open..
To go from the E to the G without catching that 11th partial takes practice - hear the G. Akin to going from the G atop the staff to the C above it, you have to skip the 7th overtone (the flat open Bb)..it takes time and repetition.

Alternate fingerings are few and far between.. too much tubing up there becomes more squirrelly.

https://bobgillis.wordpress.com/2012/08/24/bb-trumpet-fingering-chart-and-overtone-series/
Retired Air Force Bandsman
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Yeah, I don't even think about open Bb anymore... I think I used it once as the third of F# major so I didn't have to bend it in tune.

I'll keep working at it. The nice part about being more efficient with this new approach is I can put in 20 minutes a day up there and still work on other stuff.
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: