• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Welcome to the Getzen/Edwards family

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edwards makes a fine product and I know ACB will represent you well.
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trent, great video as always.

I like your description of the Harmonic Pillar system (the screws). Short and sweet. I can never really put into words what they do to the play, feel, sound, etc... of the trumpet. And most people don't believe it anyway. The only real way for players to understand is to experience it for themselves. The number of skeptical looks that change to looks of amazement is incredible. I had a player at the NAMM Show last year ask "What the f**k did you just do to this horn?" when I screwed in one of the pillars. I don't know why or how it works, I just know it does... and we have a patent to prove it.

To further confound you, keep in mind that each of the two pillars has differing effects. It also matters how far you screw them into the ring. Oh and the direction (in from the bell flare or in from the valve section) matters too. That same player at NAMM settled on the copper pillar, in from the bell side, about 1/8 turn our from full in. Second place was the "hard" pillar, in from the valve side, only screwed in about half way. And, there are other pillars available for those that really want to play around with it.

Like I said, it's a lot. There's a reason I just tell people to try it and worry about the how's and why's later.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more great video by Trent Austin showcasing the Getzen Eterna 800DLX cornet (starts with the solo from the Chinatown film):

Link
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Trent on your new venture with Getzen...

This thread has raised a Getzen question... I have a great gold plated Edwards Generation X (discontinued)....fantastic trumpet and sound. The trumpet is modular and I would like to try a different combination of lead pipe and bell and wondered if it is still possible to get the different parts? If so how?

Keep safe Walter
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, since they are discontinued, we are no longer producing components for the modular Edwards trumpets. However, we may still have some things in stock. The pickings are pretty slim, but there may be something you’re looking for. I’ll be honest, the odds are pretty slim though. Contact the Edwards team directly and Lexi can help you. Her email is lexi@edwards-instruments.com

Follow Getzen on:

Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brett....D3 lead pipe and XK21 Bronze would be a start. I will send a message.
dladore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Trent and Brett! I’m sold on Getzen horns. I just received a great 490 trumpet to go with my Eterna Proteus 907s and 80 Deluxe cornet. I also had a 400 cornet that I sold on Ebay to someone named “jazzmanta”…Mr. Austin I believe. I actually wished I’d kept that one. When this virus is under control I would love to visit both the Getzen factory and Austin Custom Brass! Good luck to you both!

Dan in NC
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am proud to play both! X-13 and ACB 1.25CS is a good combo for me for tone, ease of playing, and supporting small (midsize maybe?) American businesses!
jhellerstein

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retlaw wrote:
Thanks Brett....D3 lead pipe and XK21 Bronze would be a start. I will send a message.

For general awareness -- on the leadpipe front there's stuff still public on the Edwards webstore as of today. You can order the Getzen 3003 S and O leadpipes together for $50 (what a deal!) at https://store.edwards-instruments.com/product/getzen-3003-leadpipes. Lexi confirmed these are the same as Edwards D4 and D5 respectively, and I can confirm they fit the Gen III.

J
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.... I have a D4 and wanted the D3 with just a little more resistance ... the pipes are indeed a bargain. I found the webstore won’t ship to the U.K. where I am..

Best Walter
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:

I like your description of the Harmonic Pillar system (the screws). Short and sweet. I can never really put into words what they do to the play, feel, sound, etc... of the trumpet. And most people don't believe it anyway. The only real way for players to understand is to experience it for themselves. The number of skeptical looks that change to looks of amazement is incredible. I had a player at the NAMM Show last year ask "What the f**k did you just do to this horn?" when I screwed in one of the pillars. I don't know why or how it works, I just know it does... and we have a patent to prove it.

To further confound you, keep in mind that each of the two pillars has differing effects. It also matters how far you screw them into the ring. Oh and the direction (in from the bell flare or in from the valve section) matters too. That same player at NAMM settled on the copper pillar, in from the bell side, about 1/8 turn our from full in. Second place was the "hard" pillar, in from the valve side, only screwed in about half way. And, there are other pillars available for those that really want to play around with it.

Like I said, it's a lot. There's a reason I just tell people to try it and worry about the how's and why's later.

These "pillars" are amazing. I've called them "sound posts," after the violin part that is so critical to the instrument's tone quality. When I bought my X-13 a couple of years ago, they came with the horn and I had a question mark over my head in looking at them. But as Mr. Getzen says, they alter the feel and tone of the horn significantly. The copper pillar is the one that works for me, tongueing is easier, more solid, and the horn works better with a harmon mute. I noticed lots of other tweaks on my instrument, but I look at it as a repairman, so I have an unfair advantage.

Great horn!
https://yourbrass.com/
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
Getzen wrote:

These "pillars" are amazing. I've called them "sound posts," after the violin part that is so critical to the instrument's tone quality. When I bought my X-13 a couple of years ago, they came with the horn and I had a question mark over my head in looking at them. But as Mr. Getzen says, they alter the feel and tone of the horn significantly. The copper pillar is the one that works for me, tongueing is easier, more solid, and the horn works better with a harmon mute. I noticed lots of other tweaks on my instrument, but I look at it as a repairman, so I have an unfair advantage.

Great horn!
I tried the pillars for a while, decided they weren't for me. Tried em again, and tried to methodically test both of them facing me and facing the bell. Still prefer the sound I hear with no pillar. When I use the pillars I feel it compresses the tone, at least from where I am behind the trumpet. I feel the sound blossoms more with no pillar. Interesting to so many different tone pillar preferences among the people that play this horn. Furthermore, playing around with the tension of the bottom valve caps also alters the horn's response radically!
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not uncommon. There is no one setup at works and responds the same for everyone . That's why there are removable pillars in the first place.

We see the same thing on the trombone side of things. The 4147IB Custom Reserve tenor is a signature model made for Ian Bousfield. It has a singular version of the Harmonic Pillar system similar to what is on the X-13. Many people love and use it. But you know who doesn't anymore? Ian Bousfield. Currently he prefers the horn without a pillar. At the same time, I doubt he would ever go along with removing the option. The ability to fine tune the instrument if and when you want to is to valuable.

Follow Getzen on:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: