• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds cornet v. Bach Strad trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gradyfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Olds cornet v. Bach Strad trumpet Reply with quote

On the comeback trail for a few years now, I've been playing Olds cornets, ranging from the Ambassador to the Super, and I love them all. About a month ago, I purchased a used Bach Strad 180S37 trumpet in beautiful condition.

After practicing on the Bach exclusively for a month, I still don't feel comfortable with it. Today I picked up one of the Olds cornets after practicing with the Bach, and the Olds felt just right immediately, and I sounded a heck of a lot better.

I use the same model mouthpiece on both trumpet and cornet. I am aware the cornets have a large bore and the trumpet is a ML bore model. Is my being accustomed to the large bore what is causing me trouble with the Bach?

Please chime in with any theories. I don't want to give up on the Bach just yet.
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried and failed a few times to like Bach Strads. I suspect it's just that it doesn't play anything like a cornet - it doesn't have the smooth resistance typical of a good cornet. Also possible it is slotting too hard for you. That's a feature of the Strad, and you might find it a lot more effort to get around the horn than with your cornets.

Can you be more specific about what you are uncomfortable with?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mouthpiece are you using on each instrument?
Gradyfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difficulty is slotting, as you mentioned.

I use a Bach 1C on both trumpet and cornet.

And thank you to all who respond.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What’s the slotting problem?

It’s not unthinkable that the Super just plays better than the Strad, at least for you.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Gradyfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggle to play scales cleanly above middle C on the Bach. The notes line up neatly with relative ease for me on the Olds.
Gradyfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No just on the Super, either. It's also true of the Ambassador, the Special, and the Studio cornets I have.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1C is a pretty big mouthpiece. Do you do any breathing work like "Breathing Gym" or regular cardiovascular exercise? It takes a very efficient and well-developed approach to play a 1C across the whole range of the instrument. It could be that the two mouthpieces are different enough to throw off your chops. Consider trying a cornet-to-trumpet adapter and use your cornet mouthpiece on your bach trumpet. I would also recommend trying a smaller rim size, and maybe a deeper cup on your trumpet mouthpiece.

You might also want to take your horn to a tech for a professional cleaning. It could be that there's some gunk in a tube somewhere that's making the horn play weird.
skishhhh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gradyfan wrote:
I use a Bach 1C on both trumpet and cornet.
I'm an early comeback player with a box full of mouthpieces. The 1C would be huge for me. Right now I'm using a 5C and thinking of moving to something smaller.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Olds cornet v. Bach Strad trumpet Reply with quote

Gradyfan wrote:
I use the same model mouthpiece on both trumpet and cornet. I am aware the cornets have a large bore and the trumpet is a ML bore model. Is my being accustomed to the large bore what is causing me trouble with the Bach?

Please chime in with any theories. I don't want to give up on the Bach just yet.

Could be. I play an Olds Recording trumpet and recently got an Olds Super cornet. The resistance on the cornet is different than on the trumpet (even though mine has a trumpet receiver and I use the same mouthpieces). If the Bach strad plays very light, then that may make the transition harder.

Although Bach strads are very nice horns, it's very possible that it simply isn't the right horn for you. Is there a particular reason you chose this particular trumpet? Did you like it during playtesting or did you buy it it without testing? If it is the former, then maybe you'll need a slightly different approach, or some more time to accommodate to it (maybe a different mouthpiece?). I've been told several times onthese forums that I shouldn't treat my cornet as a trumpet, so the opposite will also be true .

If you bought it based on brand/reputation/looks without playtesting, then it could be that as nice as the horn is, it may ultimately not be a keeper....but you may want to keep playing it a little longer anyway, just to make sure.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably just like cornet better. The bell is closer to your ear and it easy to make a nice charming sound. I play mostly trumpet 🎺 but every now and then when things aren’t going my way I pick up my Conn 17a and...ahhh...
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtromble wrote:
I have tried and failed a few times to like Bach Strads. I suspect it's just that it doesn't play anything like a cornet - it doesn't have the smooth resistance typical of a good cornet. Also possible it is slotting too hard for you. That's a feature of the Strad, and you might find it a lot more effort to get around the horn than with your cornets.

Can you be more specific about what you are uncomfortable with?

I´ve had the same experience. Once bought myself a brand new Bach Strad cornet, fantastic sound, suberb mechanics, sounded best out of a bunch of high class horns. But playing it in the brassband I rather soon found myself exhausted after a short period of time....tried and tried but no. At one occasion, being completeley done, I borrowed a large bore Getzen Eterna - et voila I was able to play again! As the OP I used the same mouthpiece (although trumpet/cornet versions) Bach 1 1/4C.
So I´ll agree with gtromble - might have something to do with the resistance. I also found it difficult to "navigate" above A. No problems at all, with the Eterna.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A05dDUK36o&feature=emb_logo

Might be time for a trumpet safari. Maybe a step bore with looser slots: Schilke, Callet Jazz, Yamaha Shew or Miyashiro.
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Olds cornet v. Bach Strad trumpet Reply with quote

Gradyfan wrote:
I purchased a used Bach Strad 180S37 trumpet in beautiful condition.
Even if the finish is in great shape, that may not account for the valves and/or alignment. There is always the mouthpiece gap question, solder blobs, or excessive tension too.
I have also read that some players (like Mendez) actually preferred looser valves, which can surely affect slotting.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, if $$ is not a problem putting into the Bach, you may want to send it to Jim Becker at Osmun Music for blueprinting. I had a Bach 37 some years ago that played a bit stuffy (typical of Bach's). I sent it to him and it came back a different and great playing horn. It may be worth talking to Jim and having your horn evaluated.

Just some thought, Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a C cup on cornet I use a B cup on trumpet. It makes a subtle difference and evens things out when switching. But that's me.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
Might be time for a trumpet safari.
Any time is a good time for a trumpet safari!!

And wouldn't the conical bore also affect slotting? Admittedly, I'm still getting used to my Olds
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where my quintet rehearses we can try out instruments, mutes, etc (lucky, hey?) In recent weeks there's been a Bach 190 model 43G, and an Olds Mendez Bb.

Both us trumpet members played the Bach and put it down quite fast (the guy plays a Bach 43!). I picked up the Mendez, blew one note and said - home again! Felt great, and was just 'right'. No other way to describe it. The Bach felt tight, tinny etc.

This is due to, of course, me. And me only.

For the OP - you don't like the Bach? Sell it and get something you do like! Don't worry about it - even don't think about it. Just move on.

cheers

Andy
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Olds cornet v. Bach Strad trumpet Reply with quote

Gradyfan wrote:
On the comeback trail for a few years now, I've been playing Olds cornets, ranging from the Ambassador to the Super, and I love them all. About a month ago, I purchased a used Bach Strad 180S37 trumpet in beautiful condition.

After practicing on the Bach exclusively for a month, I still don't feel comfortable with it. Today I picked up one of the Olds cornets after practicing with the Bach, and the Olds felt just right immediately, and I sounded a heck of a lot better.....

You know, I had an Ambassador cornet for a little while. I sold it because it had lost a lot or lacquer and just looked bad. I regret that. I wish I had waited to refurbish it. It was easy to play compared to the trumpet, and I had never played the cornet before. Hm. Wondering if I should maybe pick up an Olds cornet again and see if it was just a fluke or if maybe I'm just a closet cornetist and don't know it.
—Yamaha YTS-354 trombone
—King 627 “baritonium”
—Akai EWI 5000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: