• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Quintuple Case?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Quintuple Case? Reply with quote

Hi!

There's a video of Jens Lindemann converting his Gard Triple case into a quintuple case using taco inserts and a specific placement method.

How safe is this for the horns? Has anyone tried it? If it works great, I'm sold.

Cheers

Last edited by Bryant Jordan on Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it with the Gard, but I ordered a few "tacos' from Trent Austin and set my Bonna quad case up alá Jens' video; I would feel comfortable carrying as normal around town. I certainly would not check it like that, but for daily transport, I feel it's pretty safe...

IMHO...

Ben
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I would pack that many expensive instruments into a single case. Just because on the off chance the case gets pushed off the stage there are now five instruments that will be damaged instead of one.

But there is really no chance of me doing it since I am not proficient on the smaller instruments so I won't be carrying it to a a gig.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a leather GARD triple case in summer 2017 from Josh Landress. Great case. One of the best investments ever. Jens came out with that video in May 2019...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u693q3KCovU

...but I didn't see it until June 2020, so my do-it-yo'selfer self decided to take some supplies I already had and have my own taco inserts made...in a nice dark blue velvet! Yum!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0jwyhbyyf9n3ygk/AAAbEQ18-8fA81CGEw44bWUFa?dl=0

I can tell you that mine cost more than the GARD versions. Nicer, yes, but would I do this project over, again, with batting, Velcro, and velvet? Probably. Do I even use these inserts, or see myself using them? I fit all that Jens did in his: flugel, Bb, C, Eb, picc...but it didn't make me feel comfortable, and since I have so many cases, it would be a rare situation for me to stuff five horns in this one case...I mean, really rare...so rare that I really can't think of a scenario. But I know I'm ready for when that time comes! Ha! Using them for three horns and mutes seems more likely.

And you ask, "Where's the case?!" Well, that, my friends, is presently in Louisville, KY, with two horns I sent off to have lacquered! Yes, I love using this case to ship horns with each horn individually bubblewrapped, then I put the case in a couple of clean plastic trash bags, then bubblewrap on the outside of the case, then packing popcorn surrounding the case/bag. The case is light, but very sturdy, so it makes an excellent layer of protection for shipping...if you have spare cases lying around and don't mind parting with this one for awhile (and I'm not the only one in this situation!).
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jens may be one of a handful of trumpet players on the planet who have to take five horns to a gig. More than two is rare for most of us. Nonetheless I've watched that video several times and if I ever want to fly somewhere and take all five of my horns (it'll never happen) with me I know what to do.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
jrd19580

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think you could do the same thing with a pro-tech triple IPAC case? Adding the tacos from Gard

Last edited by jrd19580 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, for some quintet gigs, five is kind of normal...

Ben
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
Actually, for some quintet gigs, five is kind of normal...

Ben

Yes, and I've even played solo tpt for memorial services, where I used five, which were horns that were ideal for certain pieces selected: flugel, C, Eb, G, A picc. Even though that was "pre-taco inserts" for me, I'd still use at least a couple of cases. I figure if Jens dings up a horn or two, all he has to do is pull out another one of his 50-75 horns while the dented ones get fixed. Ha! I don't have quite that many backups.

Another thing to consider: For a case holding five horns, you have to find a good place to lay the case while removing horns, and this leather case is still such a pretty case, I don't like putting it on some floors, if you know what I mean. If you've brought trumpet stands, say, in another bag, you could set those up, first, then put the GARD bag in your lap and unload each horn onto each stand. All of this depends on your individual "space" and the possible traffic around you. More horns, more care. And it wouldn't be convenient to put them all away when you take a break...again, you have to consider possible traffic in your space. ("Ah, just play everything on B-flat!" they tell me.)
pitchlevel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to fly with 5 horns twice last year. B flat, C, flugel, rotary and picc. After watching the Jens video I tried getting them all in a protec triple hard wheelie case. They fit but I wasn’t convinced. I ended up putting the bflat, c and picc into an MB double using Jens principles and the rotary and flugel in an old reunion blues soft leather double. In both cases I had to lay horns flat and be stacked rather than side by side.

I combined all kinds of padding that I had from many cases and finally settled on a layout. Both itineraries called for 3 flights ranging from small commuter plane to a 737 to a 777. On the small plane I had the MB In The overhead and the soft case on the floor under the seat in front of me between my feet. On the 737 and 777 I was able to put both in the overhead.

No damage whatsoever to any instruments, not even a scratch. And if I had the spare cash I would’ve just bought the Jens case and tacos and done that.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
Jens may be one of a handful of trumpet players on the planet who have to take five horns to a gig. More than two is rare for most of us. Nonetheless I've watched that video several times and if I ever want to fly somewhere and take all five of my horns (it'll never happen) with me I know what to do.

I am taking five to quintet right now. Bb, C, Eb, Piccolo, Flugelhorn.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrd19580 wrote:
Do you think you could do the same thing with a pro-tech triple IPAC case? Adding the tacos from Gard

I have the triple and I wouldn't. But, to each their own...
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
spitvalve wrote:

I am taking five to quintet right now. Bb, C, Eb, Piccolo, Flugelhorn.

I guess that handful of trumpet players are all on this forum.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
jrd19580

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
jrd19580 wrote:

I have the triple and I wouldn't. But, to each their own...
Yeah I decided against it and just got the Gard Bag

JD
trumpetjens
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I felt my name being bandied about in the ether, thought I would jump in. Yes, that quintuple video is legit and it is AWESOME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u693q3KCovU

To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised that 5 horns worked at all (too much tetris in my youth!) but now I am 100% confident that NO damage can occur unless you (or I) simply do something dumb like drop the case.

If you do buy that case, practice a very simple safety move that becomes second nature when picking it. Run the strap through your fingers and glance down to make sure that it is NOT twisted before picking it up from any surface. A very simple maneuver that becomes absolute second nature after even brief practice. That way there is no added torque which could potentially stress the end of the straps where they attach to the case itself.

Enjoy...

Jens Lindemann
www.trumpetsolo.com
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a quad case, and if I put 4 horns in it, it was heavy to the point of being unwieldy. The handle eventually gave out and had to be replaced. I can’t imagine carrying 5 horns in a case. I now have a Protec triple case and generally carry just 2 horns, and all my other junk in the 3rd slot.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once visited a local shop and the repairman was working on a pic that had extensive damage. It turned out that, despite all of his experience seeing the damage on the horns brought to him, he did "something dumb" and left his case behind his car and then backed over it. It was his personal instrument.

I will never be at the level Jens is at, and certainly intend no disrespect, but I personally cannot guarantee I won't end up doing something stupid and regretting it.

Fortunately for someone at my level I will never need to carry five horns.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I used to have a quad case, and if I put 4 horns in it, it was heavy to the point of being unwieldy. The handle eventually gave out and had to be replaced. I can’t imagine carrying 5 horns in a case. I now have a Protec triple case and generally carry just 2 horns, and all my other junk in the 3rd slot.

I've got a ProTech double bag that I've converted into a triple that has typically carried a Bb, flugel and picc. With horns alone it's got some heft but is a manageable weight. When I add all the extra stuff including K&M in-bell stands it's fairly hefty. In a pinch I've turned it into a quad buy putting Bb, flug and C in the bottom and then carefully wrapping the picc in a towel and setting it on top. The few times I've had to, it worked out fine but I was very careful and it was kind of a beast to lug around. Starting at 3 horns you really need to consider having wheels.

Fortunately (or not) I don't have an Eb to worry about. If I did I'd likely just get another double case (probably with wheels and carry it separately from the triple. With unlimited funds I'd probably score a triple with wheels and buy a separate double maybe with backpack straps.

But kudos to Jens for making that work. I can't imagine any other way to jam 5 horns into a single case that could be carried-on. Personally I don't trust myself to MacGuyver all those bits with enough care to guarantee that the horns wouldn't bang into each other. In a previous case arrangement, my flugel took damage so I'm now gun shy.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trumpetjens
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha...as with large mouthpieces, 'just because you CAN play one does not mean you SHOULD play one'. So too with a triple case that can fit five horns. I obviously did that to show the extreme possibilities that very few trumpeters would ever have to deal with...actually needing five horns on a gig!

That being said, think of all those nooks and crannies that can be utilized in the Gard case for other stuff if you are really bringing only 2 or 3 instruments with you.

Jens Lindemann
www.trumpetsolo.com
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi trumpetjens.

I understand your demonstrating instrument storage possibilities and very helpful too but you have helped me in ways you could not foresee.

You have opened my eyes to the possibility of using a triple case to carry two instruments and several tacos to keep me sustained on those long journeys when the macdonalds is unavailable.

I will be forever in your debt for this revelation.

Never again shall my lower range be interrupted by cries from an empty stomach and the only growls heard will be those intended by me.

No longer will the bell on my instrument have to serve as temporary storage for a mixed assortment of hot dog sausages.

Your guidance in all matters trumpet is always welcome and I respect you even more now.

yours, pathetically grateful from england.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: