• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Al Hirt's Mouthpiece

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jet-Tone mouthpieces went through a "resizing" sometime in the 90's I believe - when ever Woodwind & the Brasswind acquired them. The whole series became larger in diameter. The DS became closer to a Bach 5C - the Symphony felt like a Bach 1 1/2 C etc. Even the MF became pretty large. They had a "7" series that went from feeling like a 10 1/2 C to more like a Bach 7C.

Here are the Al Hirt models that Kanstal scanned - not sure of the vintage.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160425104023/http://www.kanstul.com/mpcJN/Compare/CompareJRFF1.html
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Andy!
interfx
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have what I think is an Al Hirt Jet-Tone personal model mouthpiece.

It is anodized gold, aluminum/very lightweight, Jet Tone shape, and has a very flat rim. The issue is that it does NOT have any markings at all on it?

How do I tell this is that model?
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Al Hirt's Mouthpiece Reply with quote

[quote="Denny Schreffler"]
Winghorn wrote:
Hello all-

(The other “Standard” pieces were T-1, T-2, T-3, T-4, also 41/64”)

The T models were 43/64.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
Al Hirt was such a virtuoso, with double and triple tounging and breathtaking technique. He was classically trained at the famous Cincinnati Conservatory.

I've always wondered what equipment he was using there, immersed in lessons, recitals, chamber groups and orchestra. All the mouthpieces I've seen from his professional career in pop and jazz have been very commercial-looking mouthpieces with shallow cups and wide rims.

Surely he must have used more conventional mouthpieces when he was a student. I'd love to hear from someone familiar with this stage of his playing and development.

He studied with Frank Simon. Frank was a cornetist from Cincinnati and raised in my hometown of Middletown Ohio. He played under Herbert L. Clarke in the Sousa Band and took his chair when he retired.

Frank led the most famous industrial band in the world, the Armco Band and taught at the University of Cincinnati. You can definitely tell Al Hirt played out of the Arban's book and had great technique. Mr. Simon discovered Al Hirt while judging a contest and arranged a scholarship to attend the Conservatory at
Cincinnati back in 1940.

Last edited by Jon Arnold on Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Al Hirt model A (flat rim) was the first model Jet-Tone made-it was actually based on Bill Ratzenberger's old Altmont(sp?) model made of pure German silver, when the original design was released, Al tried it and LOVED it and Bill and Ray asked Al if they could call that piece the Al Hirt model and Al agreed. Ray Amado designed all the early Jet-Tone models and did all the custom work for Al, Doc, Snooky Young, Chase, Charlie Shavers, etc.

When the Co. began back in 1959, JT's came stock with a big #24 throat, then switched to a #26 around 1963 and stayed that way up until around 1968 or so and went down to a #28.

The AH model was quite popular and also used by Thad Jones, Benny Bailey and others

Off topic but, did you know the name Jet-Tone was chosen b/c in 1959 it was the dawn of the "Jet Age"...

if Tony Scodwell, reads this, maybe he can chime in as he knew Ray Amado pretty close-I wonder if he has a pic of Ray, I don't even know what he looked like and that's a shame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: