• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New to brasswind, question on open valve notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LennyLTrump

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: New to brasswind, question on open valve notes Reply with quote

Exactly 3 weeks ago I received my new Bb trumpet. No prior experience in brass instruments and I’ve always been curious about how sounds are made and what those buttons and controls are for. I play piano & alto sax (Eb) so I’m not new to music.

It has been very interesting.

A while back, I had a conversation with a former trumpet player who said he had to quit trumpet when he lost two of his front teeth playing football. That led me to believe that significant amount of pressure against the lips is needed. However, I found out that very light pressure, barely enough to seal, is more effective.

Unlike sax where middle notes are easier to start with, the lowest notes are what I could initially produce on trumpet.

The instrument appears to have harmonics based on certain notes, but I encountered an apparent anomaly. In ascending order of notes that I’ve learned to play (long & slow), in Bb notation:
Middle C (concert Bb) and 6 half steps below, then,
G and 6 half steps below, then,
C and 4 half steps below, then,
E and 3 half steps below, then,
G above staff, but not consistent yet.

The E does not seem to fit the pattern. The pitch wants to slot at E before going up to G. Is that normal for trumpet or should I try to bypass that E and practice jumping from C to G?

I know, I know. I really have to get a teacher. Since this activity produces a significant amount of spray, I’ll start lessons after I’m vaccinated.
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New to brasswind, question on open valve notes Reply with quote

LennyLTrump wrote:

The instrument appears to have harmonics based on certain notes, but I encountered an apparent anomaly. In ascending order of notes that I’ve learned to play (long & slow), in Bb notation:
G and 6 half steps below, then,
C and 4 half steps below, then,
E and 3 half steps below, then,
G above staff, but not consistent yet.

The E does not seem to fit the pattern. The pitch wants to slot at E before going up to G. Is that normal for trumpet or should I try to bypass that E and practice jumping from C to G?

You're doing great! The pattern you show is correct and expected:
Code:
Note Freq    Fundamental  Harmonic
c4      233.1      116.54      X 2
g4      349.2      116.54      X 3
c5      466.3      116.54      X 4
e5      587.3      116.54      X 5
g5      698.5      116.54      X 6

The above calculation doesn't match the equal tempered frequencies exactly because of the artificial aspect of equal tempered tuning.

Extending this table shows that as frequency increases, a brass instrument produces more notes than are needed for the chromatic scale. That's why there are more alternate fingerings for the high notes.

Last edited by Beyond16 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New to brasswind, question on open valve notes Reply with quote

LennyLTrump wrote:

Yes, that is normal. As for your cmment on getting a teacher, there are teachers available who'll teach online...maybe worth a try?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New to brasswind, question on open valve notes Reply with quote

LennyLTrump wrote:

----------------------
If you are playing an open note BELOW the written middle C, that is usually called a 'pedal tone' and that note is NOT present in written music for trumpet (OK, maybe in some very unusual pieces, but I've never seen it).

The 'pedal tones' ARE sometime used as a type of physical training to develop lip control but are not 'practiced to be playable'. The lowest typically used note is the F# (using valves 1,2, and 3) below middle C.

There are lots of online resources for trumpet playing, these are aimed at young beginners, but the basic instruction is solid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8w4-xds7LI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gfpB3pfo04
https://www.uek12.org/Athletics.aspx/trumpetbookvideos3331.aspx

It is important that you do not 'teach yourself' bad technique that seems to work NOW, but which will fail to allow further improvement.
Adjusting your lips to play the notes is a learned skil; do not fall into the process of using high mouthpiece pressure, or 'thin and stretched lip' to produce high notes.

There is LOTS of good and relevant info in the FUNDAMENTALS section here on TH.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the adventure.

First off, kudos for exploring the harmonic series of your own volition. I think that really helps to understand the man-machine interface. I also was self-taught and engineered both the harmonic series and the chromatic scale.

Regarding pressure, though less is generally better players often use moderate to high mouthpiece pressure. While it's technically possible to play with negligible mouthpiece pressure doing so is rarely practical.

There's nothing wrong with starting with low notes. I'd argue it's more common than not. But there is a risk in starting with an embouchure so loose that it can only produce low notes. A teacher can often work on establishing a setup (how the lips are held prior to applying the mouthpiece) that results in an embouchure that can cover a sensible span of notes.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New to brasswind, question on open valve notes Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
LennyLTrump wrote:

----------------------
If you are playing an open note BELOW the written middle C, that is usually called a 'pedal tone' and that note is NOT present in written music for trumpet (OK, maybe in some very unusual pieces, but I've never seen it).

The middle C referenced in the OP is most certainly relating to piano middle C rather than what trumpet players commonly call middle C. In other words, the OP is talking about C below the staff as “middle C”, so pedal tones haven’t come into play.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: New to brasswind, question on open valve notes Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
... In other words, the OP is talking about C below the staff as “middle C”, so pedal tones haven’t come into play.

------------------------
The OP mentioned -
"Middle C (concert Bb) and 6 half steps below,"
so I believe the OP is sounding an 'open note' LOWER than written middle C.

Perhaps you do not refer to that open pitch lower than middle C as a pedal tone, but it is not typically regarded as being part of the trumpet playing range.
? if it is not called a 'pedal tone', what is it called?

Regarding the mention of '6 half steps below', middle C is 4 half steps below E, so I don't think the upward C - E interval is involved.
note: the OP's use of 'and x half steps below' is NOT completely clear to me, so perhaps the middle C is the lowest open note being played - and of course written middle C is not a 'pedal tone'.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interpreted "6 half-steps" as the next 6 valve combinations leading down to F#, since it mentions "6 half-steps" from C (C down to F# below the staff) and G (G down to C# below the staff), then "four half-steps" from 3rd space C (C down to second-line G#), then "3 half-steps" from 4th-space E (E down to third-space C#). In other words, the comments about half-steps are simply referencing the various fingerings to lower the pitch chromatically down to the next lower open note. All normal, non-pedal notes.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
I interpreted "6 half-steps" as the next 6 valve combinations leading down to F#,
In other words, the comments about half-steps are simply referencing the various fingerings to lower the pitch chromatically down to the next lower open note. All normal, non-pedal notes.

----------------
Yes, I see my error - for some reason I thought the OP was using only 'open notes'.

And some additional information for the OP -
Yes, 6 valve combinations going down from an open note can produce the pitches for the next 6 lower notes. BUT typical trumpet playing does not use all the possible combinations of 'fingering'. Refer to a trumpet 'fingering chart' to see the combinations that are generally used. The 'other fingerings' are often called 'alternate fingerings', and they can sometimes be useful to produce better intonation in some situations.
There is also the possible use of 3rd alone as an alternative to 1&2, but usually the pitch is not quite right, and movement of the 3rd finger alone can be more difficult.
LennyLTrump

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I was very concerned about that E. Spent a couple of days wondering if I had a lemon. Also typical at this stage of the learning process, "Am I doing something wrong or is the instrument to blame?" I was looking for leaks because in saxophone, a leaking pad can cause unexpected results at different areas of the scale.

You guys caught a nuance that I wasn't aware of. When I stated "Middle C" I was referring to a piano keyboard (not trumpet "Middle C" which I didn't know about). So when I mistakenly mentioned "Middle C" I was referring to the lowest open valve note that I could play on the trumpet (I'm incapable of pedal tone/note), equivalent to the Bb on piano that's a whole step below the piano's "Middle C."

The first 3 long notes of the open valve sequence C - G - C - E - G (seldom hit that last one) always reminds me of Richard Strauss' . . . Zarathustra . . . popularized in that movie 2001: A Space Odyssey. I think it should be D - A - D on my Bb trumpet; C - G - C sounds similar due to relative pitch.

I've also been practicing the alternate fingerings but I can't detect tonal differences between 1 & 2 vs. 3. Ergonomically, isn't 1 button (3) faster and more accurate than two (1 & 2)?

Yesterday, I was doing fine. This morning, I sounded like a dying elephant and couldn't even play the low C. Are off days expected? Can I blame the change in humidity?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (and many others) refer to the C below the treble staff as 'middle C' - as in piano notation. Some people (often beginners with no previous musical training) choose to call that 'trumpet note' as 'low C', and the C in the staff as 'trumpet middle C' - this can cause much confusion ...
Also the notes above the staff are usually just called by their names, and perhaps as 'top line F', 'G above the staff'. The C above the staff is called 'high C', then an octave higher is 'double C'.

The 'international note naming conventions' (e.g. C4, c', etc.) are sometimes used, but not often in the TH forums.
See - https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/69372/how-do-you-refer-to-a-note-that-is-more-than-one-octave-above-or-below-middle-c

You do need some type of guide about embouchure technique to avoid learning bad habits. It could be from a good teacher, youtube, online text, etc.
If you have already chosen a source of information, please let us know so we can tune our comments to align with it.

The 'standard trumpet note fingerings' are based on their producing generally in-tune pitches, and efficient finger dexterity.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding front teeth presence vs mouthpiece pressure, in my experience the front teeth are actually important in holding the lips in against the muscle tension within the lips. I suppose someone might be able to correctly "buzz" but it would be a difficult relearning process if at all possible.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New to brasswind, question on open valve notes Reply with quote

LennyLTrump wrote:
... That led me to believe that significant amount of pressure against the lips is needed. However, I found out that very light pressure, barely enough to seal, is more effective. ...

---------------------------------------------
Yes, rim pressure on the lips is needed for seal, to help keep the mouthpiece in position, and to assist in obtaining and keeping the lips adjusted.
It is important to balance the goals of: minimum pressure, good seal, lip control, and sound quality. I think it is also good to realize that pressure on the bottom lip (and upper/lower lip alignment) can be adjusted and controlled, by jaw action.

Using too much pressure on the upper lip is a common problem, and often done when attempting to play higher notes. Care must be used to prevent using so much pressure that pain or injury occurs; or that the upper lip becomes unable to vibrate (or stops the air flow) by its being overly compressed.

Some people get good results by having their attention on the 'resistance to air flow' (just make the sound) by the lips, rather than on the details of lip, tongue, and jaw position. The idea being to discover the amount and type of resistance that produces the desired 'sound quality'. It is a learned skill / knack, and not a 'muscle contest'.
LennyLTrump

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I oiled my valves again this morning. In my Subject line, I stated "open valve notes" where I meant all 3 buttons are up/unpressed. However, pressing a button actually opens the valve to more tubing; hence the lower note. What's the correct terminology?

JayKosta wrote:

The 'international note naming conventions' (e.g. C4, c', etc.) are sometimes used, but not often in the TH forums.
See - https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/69372/how-do-you-refer-to-a-note-that-is-more-than-one-octave-above-or-below-middle-c

I'll use the nomenclature herein. "Middle C" = C4.

Last night, as I was practicing just the E (E5) and associated fingerings, I came to the realization that when there's mention of "alternate fingering," it's much more than just valve 1 & 2 vs. valve 3. Now I understand what you've all been trying to tell me. I recall encountering this first after learning to play C5, then going down to G4.

Beyond16 wrote:

Extending this table shows that as frequency increases, a brass instrument produces more notes than are needed for the chromatic scale. That's why there are more alternate fingerings for the high notes.

JayKosta wrote:

The 'standard trumpet note fingerings' are based on their producing generally in-tune pitches . . .

Alternate fingering is really alternate fingering AND lipping.

Because of the decreasing intervals between open valve (that terminology again) notes in the higher registers, there are more overlapping notes when the valves are used.

I tested some notes and the standard trumpet note fingerings do sound better, but that's not definitive since I'm an absolute beginner. Can some of you sound better with alternate fingerings? Is the quality of alternate fingering instrument-specific and/or player-specific?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having ALL the valves UP is called 'open' (because the tubing to the 3 separate valve slides is 'closed' - not in use - when the valve pistons are in the UP position). With the valves all UP (open) the horn behaves as a Bb bugle.

Use of the 'alternate fingerings' is used to avoid awkward fingering.
And if the alternate gives a more desirable sound/pitch.
e.g. I play a piece written with 3 flats and it often uses notes in the staff of Eb Ab and C . I use valves 23 for the C because the pitch match is better (the finger movement is not an issue). When I play it with the C 'open' the pitch is OK except in one spot where the C leads to the D above it - and that spot sounds much better to me with the C played 23.

If you notice an interval that doesn't sound good, then try alternate fingerings to see if that helps. But you are correct that 'lipping' the note into pitch must be done - usually not much lipping is needed, but the player must produce the correct pitch by controlled physical adjustment and mental 'imaging' of the desired sound. The physical adjustment becomes an unconscious response that is developed by practice, with careful attention to achieving good results.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can some of you sound better with alternate fingerings? Is the quality of alternate fingering instrument-specific and/or player-specific?

Not noticeably. The primary use of alternate fingerings is for convenience and ease of fingering of a musical phrase. For sustained notes just use the standard fingering.

You are getting ahead of yourself. Just use the standard fingerings for now.

Did you get my message?
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Quote:
Can some of you sound better with alternate fingerings? Is the quality of alternate fingering instrument-specific and/or player-specific?

Not noticeably. The primary use of alternate fingerings is for convenience and ease of fingering of a musical phrase.

The third primary use is intonation and that does make you sound better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: