• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Benge 2 bell: For everything?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Benge 2 bell: For everything? Reply with quote

I've done some reading and research on past threads here on this forum, and elsewhere.

And I think I understand the Benge 2X is a bright trumpet compared to other models. The only difference between a 2X and 3X is bell shape, right?

My question is for those that play a 2X, can you use that trumpet for everything? Concert band, Church and solo stuff?

Or is it "too" bright and only good for dance band and pop music?

Thanks for any info, and I'm sorry if this has been covered in previous threads, I have not read.
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
It is good to ask questions so that one is better informed. I own an LA Benge 3x+ and have played the 2x models. The 2x are brighter or zingier or shrill depending on your viewpoint. I find that it is difficult enough in community band settings to blend my 3x+ with the much more common Bach Strads and Yamaha Xenos out there. A 2x model would be a bit too much these days in my experience. .
Big band yes but for anything else not so much.
Brian
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I'm on a hunt for a time capsule Benge to replace the trumpet my parents bought me back in the 70s.

There are a lot around, but I never new about all the models. Mine had no markings as memory serves, so I guess it was a 3X.

Trying to learn about everything else I can before I bight and buy another trumpet.

Appreciate all the help, thank you again.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2x+ which I like very much, but definitely a very brilliant sound!
Even with a deeper cup mouthpiece, it would be difficult to blend.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
I have a 2x+ which I like very much, but definitely a very brilliant sound!
Even with a deeper cup mouthpiece, it would be difficult to blend.

Thank you for the reply. For you guys that have a 3X and a 2X and chance you could take, and post a couple pics of the bells of those horns?

I'd love to see how much difference there really is in the tapers.

Thanks in advance!
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic 1- 2x+ on left, 3x+ on right...bells are same size

Pic 2- 3x+ on left, 2x+ right...notice the difference in the flare taper

trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative. I guess the difference is pretty obvious.

Which do you prefer?
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the gig...but the 3x+ is much more versatile
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2X bell is a very specialized bell. It was described in the original Benge brochure as "Very brilliant and well centered sound. Ideal for TV and recording as "edge" reaches out to microphones."

"Edge" is an understatement. The 2X bell produces an extremely bright sound. You don't play a 2X to blend. You play it to stand out. The 2X is one of the best lead horns ever made. It is much brighter than the 3X.
Joel Payne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In HS, grew up playing a 1953 2X+ that I picked up from Bill Trumbauer using a Mt Vernon Bach 3C, and that combination had a full resonant sound. Also had a nice easy upper register. Unfortunately, that horn was stolen in college.

A few years later, I tried to replace it with a 1979 2X, also picked up a C with the 2 bell. Good horns, but just not quite the same magic as the 1953. At the time, I was playing principal with the Emory-Atlanta Orchestra, ...found that I could get a good orchestral sound on these two horns using a Schilke 20.

I still have both horns, though I don't play them much anymore. Just can't turn loose of them.

Joel
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all of the information guys.

Joel, getting your horn stolen sounds like such a nightmare.

The more I read, the more I learn that Benge were all very special trumpets. Very sad to see what happened to the brand after the company was sold.

I'm glad there are still so many great trumpets floating around.
tomcherv

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Benges - the versatility is great.

And there is another player with a Benge (large bore) in the community band I recently joined.

Benge Bb
Benge Piccolo
Buescher Flugelhorn
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems there is a real subculture of Benge players. I'm glad they are still being played with such love!

Since starting my search I've learned a lot about the history and different models. I intrigued and equally confused. Can't wait to get my hands on one again
Oldboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a Tempered 2 model the other day from a music store for $1200 Australian. Only ware is on a bottom valve cap and and couple of finger buttons Rest is excellent. Great valve action too.
Can this horn blow! Just need a big of control as it can take off. For me it's perfect answer for bigband stuff. I play with deep mouthpieces so easier
for me to control but still can can get it to open up at the top end therefore I find that it is reasonably versatile. I use my Martins and Shires Q for quite work which are extremely dark with this mouthpiece. Not as mellow as my flugel of course but getting there. So this is really going to be the answer.for me!
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 2 bell the same taper that Benge used on his C trumpets?
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uberopa wrote:
Hi,
It is good to ask questions so that one is better informed. I own an LA Benge 3x+ and have played the 2x models. The 2x are brighter or zingier or shrill depending on your viewpoint. I find that it is difficult enough in community band settings to blend my 3x+ with the much more common Bach Strads and Yamaha Xenos out there. A 2x model would be a bit too much these days in my experience. .
Brian
'

Do you happen to know the bore size on the 2x? Is there a 2x and 2x+ at .460 and .464 respectively, like the 3s?

keith
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
Seems there is a real subculture of Benge players. I'm glad they are still being played with such love!

Since starting my search I've learned a lot about the history and different models. I intrigued and equally confused. Can't wait to get my hands on one again

I got one a few months ago (I've been playing them forever) from Horntrader and it is IMMACULATE! Took me about 3 years to find one that I wanted. He seems to get them fairly regularly if anybody's interested.

keith
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
Uberopa wrote:
Hi,
Brian
'

Do you happen to know the bore size on the 2x? Is there a 2x and 2x+ at .460 and .464 respectively, like the 3s?

keith

The 2X, 3X and 5X are .460. The 2X+ and 3X+ are .464. The 6X is .468.

The Chicago ML is .460 and became the 3X when it was given a model number in Burbank. The Chicago Large Bore is .468 and became the 6X when it was given a model number in Burbank.

The CG was first made in the Anaheim factory (the bell stamp is "Los Angeles"). The CG is .468 but the bell tail is choked to .464 where it enters the first valve casing.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Benge 2 bell: for everything Reply with quote

This is a very interesting topic. I looked into a 2x in the marketplace 2 or 3 years ago and decided after messaging a couple people that I couldn't really do the horn justice anymore. The laser like quality would be fun to experience. I played a Benge 5 for 26 years and still think, that in shape, I could use a horn like that. I love these types of topics because it means that many still value the Benge name and want to have the horns for what they do well. In municipal bands I never felt out of place with the Bachs and other horns but listening and blending in is up to the musician, too.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! A refreshing blast from the past...and nice to see my pictures still here from
almost 5 years ago
Interesting how things change over time, both with equipment and preferences.
I still have the 2x+ but the 3x+ has found another home...however, I still affirm
that (at least for me) it's less versatile than other models, especially a 5x I
recently acquired. But for pure commercial work, it's definitely hard to beat!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: