• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Top Tones by Walter Smith

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wfrayer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Top Tones by Walter Smith Reply with quote

Hello all, it's been awhile since I've visited here. Life gets in the way sometimes. Anyways, I am wondering if anyone practices from the Top Tones Studies for trumpet? I like the book and try to play it all the time. Granted , as you proceed thru the material, it gets drastically more difficult, but it is a wonderful challenge. I am a composer (some of you may have even used my Charlier Accompaniments. But, back to the point: Would anyone be interested in accompaniments to the Top Tones exercises. I am currently composing arrangements for the trumpet and piano of these exercises. Would love to hear from you!

Best regards,
William Rayer
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Top Tones. I think for most of us having it in a Smart Music type format would be great for practice, education and our own amusement.
wfrayer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have Smart Music. I don't believe it is supported any more. Could be wrong, but I can't find it.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wfrayer wrote:
I don't have Smart Music. I don't believe it is supported any more. Could be wrong, but I can't find it.

Here's what I found: https://www.emediamusic.com/music-creation-software/band-in-a-box.html
wfrayer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link is for a program called Band in a Box. Use it often. Smart Music is still part of MakeMusic which I have located, but I am not a big fan of how it sounds. I am looking to publish the piano part as an accompaniment to the Top Tones (pub. Carl Fischer). It will not have the trumpet part included. It will be presumed that the buyer is already or has already purchased the Carl Fischer publication of Top Tones for Trumpet.

I have already published accompaniments for the Charlier Transcendental Studies and they can be found on my publishing site.

Just looking to see if there is any interest in a piano accompaniment for the Smith Top Tones.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi William,

I really enjoyed your Charlier accompaniments! They are musical and fun. But I will tell you that it was a serious challenge keeping it together with the pianist because the trumpet part wasn't in the score. I totally understand that it's copyrighted material and there's nothing you can do about that! Despite that, it really was a lot of fun to hear those old warhorse Charlier etudes in a new context. I remember you made some surprising and interesting musical choices, which really made it fun to work on. Those etudes sure do take on another dimension in a collaborative context - playing them solo, you have only yourself to be accountable to!

Those Top Tones etudes are REALLY hard! At least the later ones. Man, I'd love to hear what you come up with for those, but I doubt I could ever work those up into the sort of shape I'd be happy to perform in public! Ha.

Regarding software accompaniment, while I have never used it, many singers that I know use Appcompanist. I wonder if anything similar would be available for instrumentalists as well?

Cheers.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Top Tones And Other Studies Reply with quote

wfrayer wrote:
That link is for a program called Band in a Box. Use it often. Smart Music is still part of MakeMusic which I have located, but I am not a big fan of how it sounds. I am looking to publish the piano part as an accompaniment to the Top Tones (pub. Carl Fischer). It will not have the trumpet part included. It will be presumed that the buyer is already or has already purchased the Carl Fischer publication of Top Tones for Trumpet.

I have already published accompaniments for the Charlier Transcendental Studies and they can be found on my publishing site.

Just looking to see if there is any interest in a piano accompaniment for the Smith Top Tones.

Even though I am not yet ready to play Smith's Top Tones, count me as a "Yes". I'll buy your accompaniments to have them when I'm ready.

BTW, do you know of anybody who has written accompaniments for Bousquet's 36 Studies?
wfrayer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested here is where you can hear the first Top Tone exercise with my accompaniment. ENJOY!

https://soundcloud.com/user3562166/top-tones-1-walter-smithwf-rayer

I am working my way through the studies and will let you know when I have finished.
wfrayer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Hi William,

I really enjoyed your Charlier accompaniments! They are musical and fun. But I will tell you that it was a serious challenge keeping it together with the pianist because the trumpet part wasn't in the score. I totally understand that it's copyrighted material and there's nothing you can do about that! Despite that, it really was a lot of fun to hear those old warhorse Charlier etudes in a new context. I remember you made some surprising and interesting musical choices, which really made it fun to work on. Those etudes sure do take on another dimension in a collaborative context - playing them solo, you have only yourself to be accountable to!

Those Top Tones etudes are REALLY hard! At least the later ones. Man, I'd love to hear what you come up with for those, but I doubt I could ever work those up into the sort of shape I'd be happy to perform in public! Ha.

Regarding software accompaniment, while I have never used it, many singers that I know use Appcompanist. I wonder if anything similar would be available for instrumentalists as well?

Cheers.

Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed the Charlier Accompaniments. They are pretty big in the UK, not so much here in the US of A.

I have posted a link to the first Top Tone accompaniment for you to hear where I am going with these exercises.

Again,
Thanks for your interest,
William Rayer
wfrayer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Tones And Other Studies Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:
BTW, do you know of anybody who has written accompaniments for Bousquet's 36 Studies?

I have not heard of those, my bad... I will look into them.

William Rayer
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wfrayer wrote:
For anyone interested here is where you can hear the first Top Tone exercise with my accompaniment. ENJOY!

https://soundcloud.com/user3562166/top-tones-1-walter-smithwf-rayer

I am working my way through the studies and will let you know when I have finished.

I could never play that. There seemed nowhere to grab a breath.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an interesting aside: My teacher, Leon Merian, studied with Walter Smith during the time the Top Tones were being written. He would often have to read them from Smith's manuscript in his lessons.

I also heard that Herseth had particular Top Tones etudes picked to practice in preparation for particular orchestral works coming up in his work with CSO.
wfrayer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:

I could never play that. There seemed nowhere to grab a breath.

You'll have to take that up with Walter Smith.
wfrayer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ed Kennedy"]Just an interesting aside: My teacher, Leon Merian, studied with Walter Smith during the time the Top Tones were being written. He would often have to read them from Smith's manuscript in his lessons.

I also heard that Herseth had particular Top Tones etudes picked to practice in preparation for particular orchestral works coming up in his work with CSO.[/quote

Very interesting information. My teacher, Harry Herforth (Cleveland Orchestra and Kent State Un), was keen on the Top Tones exercises.
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William, maybe I missed it, but I don't see any links to anything. Where are the Charlier accompaniments?
wfrayer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH wrote:
William, maybe I missed it, but I don't see any links to anything. Where are the Charlier accompaniments?

They were in the market place. Unfortunately, I didn't keep up with the requirements and the links were retired.
They can be found here (my preferred method: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=Charlier

or on Amazon.com

I prefer the first because they are cheaper to the buyer and I make more money If you buy through Amazon, I make much less and they charge much more for the book.

Best regards,
William (Bill) Rayer
wfrayer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH wrote:

They were in the market place. Unfortunately, I didn't keep up with the requirements and the links were retired.
They can be found here (my preferred method: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=Charlier

or on Amazon.com

I prefer the first because they are cheaper to the buyer and I make more money If you buy through Amazon, I make much less and they charge much more for the book.

Best regards,
William (Bill) Rayer
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply..... I guess I was hoping for a digital accompaniment since getting together with a live player is very difficult these days. It would have made some practicing more interesting!
wfrayer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Top Tones by Walter Smith Reply with quote

I have the first 5 finished. I would be willing to share the accompaniment with anyone who is interested. (Only one of the 5 - pick the one you'd like to see/hear) I will send the pdf of the piano part and a mp3 of the performance. I will not give them all to any one person. If you'd like to see/hear what I am up to, PM me.

Thank you for your interest,
William (Bill) Rayer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: