• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

12 patterns in a key or a pattern in 12 keys?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: 12 patterns in a key or a pattern in 12 keys? Reply with quote

playing a pattern on the 12 keys helps me remove cobwebs from my mind and fingers. practicing the C bebob scale for a while, with different lines, etc., goes deeper into the sound. what approach do you find most useful?

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both, for different purposes.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a novice improviser, I do find benefits in both but I tend to focus more on all 12 keys. It's challenging for me to play the same melody with the same sound in different keys. I also find working through the keys helps me melodically because I hear different things in different keys for a number of reasons.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
Both, for different purposes.

Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my pattern practice consists of me taking licks / lines / whatever through all 12 keys, in a variety of movements (4ths, 5ths, chromatic, etc.).

I personally don't get a lot out of "let me just noodle in D minor for the next 45 minutes" but I understand that for many other players that's the key to unlocking their modal approaches. Whatever works for you!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already been said, that both are important. I agree. I try to play something in 12 keys every day.

In addition, I have a maintenance routine. It consists of certain scale patterns, 4-note patterns, and 2-5 patterns that I want to keep fresh. I focus on one key each day, cycling through all 12 keys roughly every 2 weeks.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
victorhaskins
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to play a tune through 12 keys each day. I say try because sometimes I don't have time to get through all 12, but simply attempting to play the melody, improvise melodies, and improvise connective bass/harmonic material in different keys is valuable, even if I don't get through all the keys for a given tune. It's also useful for me to try to do it at the piano--the harmonic knowledge and ear training seems to directly transfer to the horn (even though I'm obviously not using trumpet fingerings on the piano).

NEW ALBUM Ikigai available now! http://www.victorhaskins.com/music

Learn about Victor Haskins & SKEIN http://www.victorhaskins.com/skein
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victorhaskins wrote:
I try to play a tune through 12 keys each day. I say try because sometimes I don't have time to get through all 12, but simply attempting to play the melody, improvise melodies, and improvise connective bass/harmonic material in different keys is valuable, even if I don't get through all the keys for a given tune. It's also useful for me to try to do it at the piano--the harmonic knowledge and ear training seems to directly transfer to the horn (even though I'm obviously not using trumpet fingerings on the piano).

The above definitely takes a long time to get through all 12 keys, if you're going to play the melody, improvise over the form, and create walking basslines or piano comping. But I always at least try to go a half-step up and a half-step down. That way you know that the melody will still "lay" well in the range of the horn and you'll be getting into some tricky or unfamiliar keys.

The other great option is to fire up a program like iRealPro, which can automatically cycle you through all 12 keys on some given chord changes, whether chromatically or cycle of fifths or whatever. It's certainly the "easy" way to do it when you have limited time to practice! Certainly not as rigorous as what Victor is recommending above, but good enough when you need to finish up and cook dinner...
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great app that trumpeter Dr. Jared Hall shared with me. It's called Random Roots and was developed by Seattle saxophonist Anton Schwartz. It's fantastic.

https://randomroots.app/about/
Honkie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will play something in 12 keys every day: the head of a standard, a difficult phrase I transcribed recently, typical patterns, any melody that might be stuck in my head.

Getting through the 12 keys is important, but equally important is the ordering of the keys, It's a missed opportunity to just walk upwards chromatically by half-step. Here are some other possible orderings:

whole step : 2 x whole tone scale (ascending / descending)
minor third : 3 x full-diminished 7th chord (asc / des)
major 3rd : 4 x augmented triad (asc / des)
fourths : fourths (ascending), fifths (descending)
any 12-tone row (numerous possibilities)

Also, it's another missed opportunity to always start on C or whatever. There's no "first" or "last" keys, and there shouldn't be any "easy" or "hard" ones. God created them all equal, it's our job to get them back to their natural state of equality.

I got motivated to work on this by a brief comment in an interview with Michael Brecker. In passing, he mentioned: you've got to practice in 12 keys, but you've also got to practice moving between keys. He didn't give any examples, but what I described is my attempt to put that in practice.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honkie, to your point, here's a link to a sheet I made for myself a while back:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18XK4uvz-GdjNxJWA_9umprneGKi66XOo/view?usp=sharing

This way I can run licks through different key movements. Admittedly, mine always start on C! So, OK. But this is always pinned to my bulletin board for inspiration...
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your answers.

I will try to compensate for both approaches. Since the beginning of the year I have been recording my study in a bullet journal, and it really helps me to meet medium-term goals.

I want to practice so many things that I have few exercises that I repeat every day, although every day I try to cover the same blocks. patterns or licks are a part of the WHAT TO PLAY block.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: