• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adams A4lt vs Martin Commiitee Deluxe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trollet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:01 am    Post subject: Adams A4lt vs Martin Commiitee Deluxe Reply with quote

I have found two used examples of these horns and would like suggestions on which would suit my needs better. I use a Yamaha 6335H for allround work i'm looking for a soloist horn. I owned an A4 standard (not light) which did not suit me at all. Never tried a Commiitee. The A4lt is the selected model, 470 Bore
Mpcs:
GR 64SZ* - and a bunch more
Bach 7FL
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Adams A4lt vs Martin Commiitee Deluxe Reply with quote

Trollet wrote:
I have found two used examples of these horns and would like suggestions on which would suit my needs better. I use a Yamaha 6335H for allround work i'm looking for a soloist horn. I owned an A4 standard (not light) which did not suit me at all. Never tried a Commiitee. The A4lt is the selected model, 470 Bore

What was it about the A4 that did not suit you? Why do you think the A4LT might be better? Is the Committee a medium bore horn, or large bore?

I'm not so familiar with Yamaha model numbers. Is yours the Bobby Shew model?

I have only briefly played the two Adams models you mention, but I have some time on a large bore Committee Deluxe. I have a little time on a medium bore Martin.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Trollet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Adams A4lt vs Martin Commiitee Deluxe Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Trollet wrote:

What was it about the A4 that did not suit you? Why do you think the A4LT might be better? Is the Committee a medium bore horn, or large bore?

I have only briefly played the two Adams models you mention, but I have some time on a large bore Committee Deluxe. I have a little time on a medium bore Martin.

It's a medium bore Commiitee. For me it was not easy to play and it was unresponsive. Good sound nonetheless. I think less weight might help this problem. My yamaha is a predeccesor of the xenos.
Mpcs:
GR 64SZ* - and a bunch more
Bach 7FL
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were unhappy with the A4, I expect neither a Committee or an A4LT will be to your liking. The A4 is regarded by those who comment on it here to have playability features similar to the Committee. The playability characteristics of a 6335H are vastly different from the A4/A4LT/Committee type horns (greater perceived resistance, far tighter slotting, much more inertia (stability=slower response), orchestral Bb overtone profile). You are looking at three different varieties of apple in your search for a better orange.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Adams A4lt vs Martin Commiitee Deluxe Reply with quote

Trollet wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
Trollet wrote:

It's a medium bore Commiitee. For me it was not easy to play and it was unresponsive. Good sound nonetheless. I think less weight might help this problem. My yamaha is a predeccesor of the xenos.

Do you play flugelhorn? I wonder if you have developed a playing technique that enables good resonance at slow air speed. The medium bore (and large bore, for that matter) Committee, the A4 and other large horns respond to a slower air delivery with a highly resonant embouchure. Like good flugelhorn chops.

If so, you should find the Committee nicely responsive, if it is a good example.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: