• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mark Gould On Music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Mark Gould On Music Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I am sure you have caught wind of Mark Gould's new book "Mark Gould On Music: Playing, Studying, Teaching, and Preparing for the Future."

But, in case you haven't seen it yet, I wanted to share some info with everyone. The endorsement list is a who's who of the contemporary professional music world, and I will quote Chris Gekker and Jens Lindemann below, along with a bit of Joe Alessi's forward. I am so pumped about this book, it was a fantastic read, and it is exactly what the music world needs right now.

Chris Gekker’s ringing endorsement for this new book by Mark Gould perfectly encapsulates what I was thinking when I read this book for the first time: this is a book about trumpet playing and teaching that transcends the genre and should be read by people of all walks of life. Gekker writes:

“Ostensibly a book about playing and teaching trumpet, this book soon extends into areas of general musicianship, with perspectives and insights that compel us to think long after the book is put down. Ultimately these explorations by Mark Gould expand further, meditations on artistic creativity that exceed anything in my own reading experience. His thoughts on teaching are universal, truly sui generis – I could easily imagine them useful whether we are trying to teach physics, history, or coach a basketball team.”

Chris Gekker

Jens writes that "Mark Gould makes you think! I first experienced him in 1988 where he was playing an amazing recital of both classical and jazz at the International Trumpet Guild conference while introducing works with his characteristically intelligent sense of sardonicism. It was mesmerizing because he made you listen AND think. Reading this book has reminded me of why I instantly fell in love with his approach to music making, teaching and profound observations of the world all around us. Gould is easily one of the most successful pedagogues in the history of our instrument. His mantra is empowering students to find their own way and that is the mark of a true mentor. This book should not only be read, it should be re- read at random times...because Mark Gould makes you think!"

Jens Lindemann

This 220-page tome is aptly subtitled “Playing, Studying, Teaching, and Preparing for the Future.” Joe Alessi nails the importance of the time we are in right now in his preface, and why this book is going to set the tone for a renaissance in both the study and performance of music in the years to come, writing:

“At this time, all of us are wondering how to reshape and resurrect ourselves once the pandemic of 2020-21 starts to recede into the history books. Fortunately, we have Mark and his wide-ranging ideas challenging us to reach way beyond our usual “comfort zones”. He’s not just advising us, he’s pushing us to try new methodologies, cultural influences and musical styles to refocus our creativity. This book is his prescription for beginning our post-pandemic musical lives fearlessly by being more eclectic and open-minded at every turn. Who better to inspire each of us to find our authentic “voice” than Mark Gould?”

Joe Alessi

This book is not only fun to read, but it is also perfectly positioned to be of profound value to trumpeters, instrumentalists of all types, performers, teachers, students, and anyone else who trains to achieve at an elite level. Mark brings his lifetime of experience as principal trumpet of the Metropolitan Opera and trumpet instructor at the Juilliard School to the table and regales you with stories from behind the curtain while urging you to think deeply about how and why you began a lifelong journey of music-making in the first place.

Click here to find more information.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fantastic! More great stuff from Q Press! Cheers
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
trumpetjens
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct...I devoured this in two days. These are some of the most insightful comments you will ever read and they are so wonderfully philosophical that they can (and should) be re-read throughout your career like all great books of observation.

The fact that they came from a trumpet player should make us not only curious, it should make us proud that Mark is one of our own. Don't be a meathead trumpet player. Read, think, listen and do it all with joy and optimism.

Jens Lindemann
www.trumpetsolo.com
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetjens wrote:
You are correct...I devoured this in two days. These are some of the most insightful comments you will ever read and they are so wonderfully philosophical that they can (and should) be re-read throughout your career like all great books of observation.

The fact that they came from a trumpet player should make us not only curious, it should make us proud that Mark is one of our own. Don't be a meathead trumpet player. Read, think, listen and do it all with joy and optimism.

Jens Lindemann
www.trumpetsolo.com

Your comment about how this book came from a trumpeter is exactly on point. I kept thinking while reading it that this is going to become like the Inner Game of Tennis. A book that is read by people of all disciplines because core message is so applicable it extends beyond our own brass world and into the music world as a whole.
arthurtwoshedsjackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This book is great! Thank you for publishing.
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't recommend this book enough!
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The endorsements keep coming!

Mark Gould is a reader of people and their personalities and has used his insight as a teacher to help many of us reach our goals in the incredibly competitive field of classical music.

Not surprisingly, On Music: Playing, Studying, Teaching and Preparing For the Future, his latest literary effort, is erudite, funny, and thoughtful in a way you rarely find in brass players, let alone in ANYONE in the music world at large. His colorful playing and elegant phrasing as a trumpet player were clearly informed by his wide variety of experience and habit of life-long learning. The first thing Mark told me when I started to study with him was that his goal was for me to be able to teach myself. In reading this book, I continue, more than 20 years after I studied with him, to learn to do that from a unique master in the music world.

Ben Wright
Second Trumpet Boston Symphony
Faculty New England Conservatory & Tanglewood Music Center Co-founder New England Virtual Trumpet Seminar
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: We were a few weeks ahead of schedule getting our print proofs, so all pre-orders for the Mark Gould On Music print book have been filled with the printing company and are in fulfillment now.

If you haven't grabbed your copy yet, Mark has so much wisdom to share, it is really worth a read.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: