• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Bobby Shew LEAD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_a4a6e56

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Yamaha Bobby Shew LEAD Reply with quote

What are your opinions about the Yamaha Bobby Shew LEAD mouthpiece?
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Bobby Shew LEAD Reply with quote

trumpetfun wrote:
What are your opinions about the Yamaha Bobby Shew LEAD mouthpiece?

The Yamaha Shew lead is an excellent piece!! It's got a .650 Diameter according to my caliper but I find that the diameter feels smaller than it actually is. The cup is pretty shallow, but if you've got a focused chop set it should be no problem. I loved this piece and played it almost exclusivly for about a year and a half.
mark schorah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bobby shew lead mouthpiece

I used it for about a month but never got on with it, it caused more problems than it solved. I could get all double notes with it but i lots all my mid range pitching ability, i also lost all quaility in my sound. The most distubing thing i discovered was that if i played on it for a while or tried to play preety loud nuffing would come out, my lips just didnt seem to work.

So i gave up on it and built my range the old fasion way, the hard way, the only way that i think really works.

I think that if all your going to do is lead jazz work then yes it might work for you but if you do all different types of playing i really woudn't bother with it.

Mark
deleted_user_c11c97e

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are committed to a shallow mpc, I would go with the 13a4a over the shew lead.
KCTptMan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i HAVE BEEN USING THE 13A4A FOR A FEW MONTHS NOW AND AI SEEM TO LIKE IT . I have ordered the Bobnby Sheww Lead although I have not played on it yet I am kind of curious.

I have also played on a Schilke 6a4a, too small for me.
My opinion is that it worked for Bobby very well, why not for someone else? Perhaps most people do not give a mouthpiece enough time to get used to it.
Tim McGinley
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the Bobby Shew Jazz and Lead models for a little while now. As someone that was not used to extremely shallow mpcs (which I would call this), it took me a week or so to get used to.

My experience with the Shew Lead is that if you know how to use the tool, it will be efficient. However, you have to play it like a lead mouthpiece.

If you try to over power it, you will meet resistance. I think the "right tool for the right job" philosphy pertains to this.

For example, you would not try to play a lead part on a tuba and if you did, you certainly would use a different approach (I hope).

Just realize what approach you need to take and the tool might prove useful.
Eddie Severn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shew lead is a high compression mouthpiece and unless you have studied and understood the concepts that Shew himself teaches you will not get the full benefit of that particular mouthpiece. The same goes for the Z horn too btw. The V shaped cup of the Shew lead is very air efficient but requires an open aperture to make it work with a big sound in all registers. After I studied with Bobby I was able to use the "lead" peice very sucessfully and only swithced when GR designed a peice for me which was very similar (GR 64 ES).
KCTptMan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received the Shew lead and it is somewhat similar to Bill Chase mouthpiece. I would have to agrere that it takes aloittle getting used to.
My advise is to try using a Schile 13a4a or close to it's equivalent an then possibly try the Shew or the Chase mouthpiece. They work, you just have to get a feel for them.
Another hint I was just given some advise on blowing the smaller mouthpieces. Try now to blow just let the air out naturally and relaxed. . It is difficult at first but it helps.
rorryrohan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the question if it sounds silly (I don't play) but what do you guys/gals refer to by a "lead" mouthpiece or any time "lead" is sued to describe a trumpet or equipment ?
KCTptMan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KCTptMan wrote:
I just received the Shew lead and it is somewhat similar to Bill Chase mouthpiece. I would have to agrere that it takes aloittle getting used to.
My advise is to try using a Schile 13a4a or close to it's equivalent an then possibly try the Shew or the Chase mouthpiece. They work, you just have to get a feel for them.
Another hint I was just given some advise on blowing the smaller mouthpieces. Try now to blow just let the air out naturally and relaxed. . It is difficult at first but it helps.

I made a amistake in my print,,,the last line should say, try not to blow just let the air out naturally and relaxed.
sbrown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rorryrohan wrote:
Sorry for the question if it sounds silly (I don't play) but what do you guys/gals refer to by a "lead" mouthpiece or any time "lead" is sued to describe a trumpet or equipment ?

"lead" refers to the principle player in a trumpet section, usually in a big band/swing setting. The playing style is characterized, generally, by high, loud playing. When talking about equipment, it usually refers to a special mouthpiece, which is very shallow, thus making the high notes easier to obtain.
SamD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Bobby Shew Lead Reply with quote

I have had the Bobby Shew lead for a few months now but I am having trouble. Sometimes my lip will cut the sound off, seems like I am pulling my top lip down too much and it is blocking off the hole? I was using a bach 3C but seemed to be working way too hard on lead stuff so I decided to buy a smaller piece. I think I need a rim like the 3c but with a shallower cup?
deleted_user_c11c97e

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the shew lead is a drastic switch from a 3c. try something not quite that shallow...
Karel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Bach 3D. Shallower cup and tighter backbore. It's almost similar in rim size to a Yamaha Shew Jazz mouthpiece.
mark schorah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehehe this is like almost the same as what i did, I played a 3C and first btried to use a 3E for jazz couldn't blow the thing so swopped it for a bobby shew lead mouthpiece, i had the overblowing problme mostly, anyway i ended up with a fairly old bach 1C which is working wondered atm. But that doesnt mean my mouthpiec safari is over yet!!!

Funny how things work out

Mark
mark schorah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehehe this is like almost the same as what i did, I played a 3C and first btried to use a 3E for jazz couldn't blow the thing so swopped it for a bobby shew lead mouthpiece, i had the overblowing problme mostly, anyway i ended up with a fairly old bach 1C which is working wondered atm. But that doesnt mean my mouthpiec safari is over yet!!!

Funny how things work out

Mark
deleted_user_c11c97e

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a jet tone Merian C - cup still has room in it but the compression is much higher
TrumpetIsaac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Severn wrote:
The Shew lead is a high compression mouthpiece and unless you have studied and understood the concepts that Shew himself teaches you will not get the full benefit of that particular mouthpiece. The same goes for the Z horn too btw. The V shaped cup of the Shew lead is very air efficient but requires an open aperture to make it work with a big sound in all registers. After I studied with Bobby I was able to use the "lead" peice very sucessfully and only swithced when GR designed a peice for me which was very similar (GR 64 ES).

I know this is an old thread but just came across it now and thought id take a shot at getting this question answered.

I had bought a Yamaha shew lead years ago just to have around since it was chem and wanted to try it for fun. It didn't work for me at all and I hated it. After years of embouchure tweaks and mouthpiece safari, I pulled it out on a whim for fun and it LIT UP compared to my other pieces which I thought were far superior.

I've been thinking I maybe need a higher alpha angle and had independently come across the GR 64ES while searching for other higher alpha angle mouthpieces before seeing this post here by Eddie Severn saying that this GR piece was made for him by GR. Very interested in more information about this and perhaps the differences. Any and all info you can give is greatly appreciated.

Isaac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: