• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Compression Training System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Compression Training System Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone else has used the Compression Training System by Larry Meregillano

I bought one last week and have been using it for 5 days now, and it's definitely making a difference in my playing. My "useable range" feels much more secure, high notes are a lot easier, and generally notes feel closer together. I'm wondering if anyone else here has one, and what sort of progression/development they've had with it.
jazzjezz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one - and I like it.

I have been using it since the beginning of the year.

My range has come on a little bit, and the security throughout is better. Or such is my perception in the practice room.

Obviously there hasn't been the opportunity for amateurs (such as myself) to go out and play live gigs. It will be interesting to see if any of my band members make any comments on tone improvements etc.. when we get playing again.

I think it is a useful additional tool, and adds a certain structure and a different facet to my daily routine that I find beneficial.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't purchased one yet but I have done some to the exercises. I think they really helped me with response and consistency above C. I'm not a high note player, yet, but the work off the horn really has helped me find a less physical approach ON the horn. Two caveats: I can only do this at the end of the day because it makes my embouchure tight after the workout; and I overdid it on the second week and got some headaches but they went away when I backed off a bit. Gotta listen to your body.

All in all, he makes some legitimate claims, IMO. Too many haters out there.
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't imagine why there're haters. Larry is the real deal. I've played with him for years, and his system works.

ed
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was highly skeptical of the device when I first saw it. Generally, I dislike approaches that treat the trumpet like weight lifting, but I decided to give Larry's system a try after seeing a few of his podcasts with some major studio, lead, and classical players endorsing it. I wasn't expecting it to like it, but I was extremely surprised at the results. It's a lot more bang for your buck than buying a new mouthpiece hoping it will help the high notes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: