• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which Flugel to Upgrade a Yam 2310?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Which Flugel to Upgrade a Yam 2310? Reply with quote

I'm basically a comeback player but at this stage of life no more gigs/dances/etc. Mostly for fun and/or community jazz & big band.

I sold my Conn V-1 a couple of years ago but kept my Yamaha 2310-S with a 3rd valve trigger (installed by Ann MacMillan at UNT). It's a pretty good horn especially with the trigger but I've got the itch. The flugel will see about 20% or less use than my trumpets.

After talking with ACB and from what I see and read, I feel it comes down to two flugels, an ACB Doubler or a Manchester Brass. I've considered the Yamaha 631 but that pushes my budget and I don't need any more horn than that.

For those of you that have some experience or knowledge with the ACB Dblr. &/or the Manchester Brass what do you think?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a ACB and the buying experience could not have been better. Head and shoulders above any other I've had. I haven't been able to play the horn but it looks great. It's a gift for my son and he doesn't know he's getting it yet.

The Dillon flugel is the other one I considered. It's a bit less $ and I've heard good things about it too. I went with ACB because of the better info available including Trent's videos.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been considering this myself but I think I'm leaning toward a used Yamaha, Getzen, or Cuesnon. All around the same price but with more reliable history in numerous ways. All pretty well available on the used market. I know people seem to like the Doubler, Dillon, and Manchester Brass but I just can't trust how they'll fare longterm.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was in the market I'd be looking at the Edwards X19.

https://www.edwards-instruments.com/trumpets/x-19-flugelhorn/
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:

Great but totally missing the mark on the price point.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:

Great but totally missing the mark on the price point.

My bad.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. Horn looks sweet!
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:

No Kidding, If I were 20 years younger that's where I'd go. Christen Greko (at Edwards) has been involved, I'm not sure if he actually made them, with three of my friends' horns, 2 'bones, and yeah, I'd be right there. They do some incredible work.

Looking at the used Yammies, at least right now, it seems everyone is really proud of them. I'd really like to stay with a $1K max budget.

I'm not too concerned with resale.

Last edited by ECLtmpt2 on Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Yammies, the 631G is a good choice, very solid horn. Don't know if you could find a Shew or LA in your price range.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Yamaha 731 used for less than a grand, but it was about a decade ago.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Fig
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think the student model Yamaha is going to be a better horn than the low price options you are thinking of. It's a good design, well made by Yamaha and with the tuning ability you are all set - though mine has remarkably good intonation. I've played one of the options you mention-the intonation was pretty quirky. You aren't really upgrading with those horns. You should just keep and enjoy the Yamaha, unless you can come up with $1200 or so at some point and get an upgraded Yamaha or Getzen. Anyway-just my opinion. I think the Yamaha 2310 flugelhorn is one of the last real bargains out there.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Scodwell USA "Euro" Reply with quote

I'd like to put a bid in for one of my remaining "Euro" model flugelhorns. It is intended to fit the needs of someone wanting a proper sounding flugel with wonderful intonation and it is new priced right. A quick look at the TH Marketplace under the flugel/cornet heading will fill you in on all the details.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had very good luck using an ACB Doubler flugelhorn with a rose brass bell and adding a replacement Yamaha 631 lead pipe for the stock pipe. I have a nice vintage YFL-631, but in a crowded pit, the ACB sees more use, as the bell is heavier and can withstand the little knocks better. It plays very well...

HTH

Ben
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
I have had very good luck using an ACB Doubler flugelhorn with a rose brass bell and adding a replacement Yamaha 631 lead pipe for the stock pipe.

Thanks for the tip. After I give my son his ACB Doubler for his 18th birthday this weekend I'll find time to try it with the mouthpipe from my 731 and see if we like it better.
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manchester Brass is ACB's Hoxon Gakki-made product (Carol). Doubt you could go wrong with that. I had a Carol fluegel and it as great.
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
I have had very good luck using an ACB Doubler flugelhorn with a rose brass bell and adding a replacement Yamaha 631 lead pipe for the stock pipe. I have a nice vintage YFL-631, but in a crowded pit, the ACB sees more use, as the bell is heavier and can withstand the little knocks better. It plays very well...

HTH

Ben

Ben,

Thanks so much for chiming in! That was probably our first or second generation doubler (pre-engraving or around that early engraved model) ones. Those are pretty different from our third gen ones which are true small French-style bore (.413). So it's doubtful the 631 pipe will fit the newer 3rd gen models.

The Manchester is absolutely a professional horn and I've used it on gigs where I didn't want to take my Adams (like a crowded pit). I have also done the same with the ACB with fine results but we don't term our own doubler as a pro horn but more akin to the early Couesnon models when they first entered the mass market in the 50's. A nice, reliable, lower-priced option.

As always people can call us at 816-410-0826 with any questions you might have!

Cheers,

Trent

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trent,

Yes; I've had it for a while. I'm sorry if I put out any bad information. The Yamaha pipe certainly worked a treat for me. I never want to steer anyone wrong....

Molto dispiace!!!

Ben
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

austincustombrass wrote:
...So it's doubtful the 631 pipe will fit the newer 3rd gen models.

Good to know. If I try I won't try too hard.
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was ready to go for the Manchester, Josh at ACB was great to work with. However, a Yam 631G within budget fell into my lap.

I do like my 2310, esp. with the trigger, and I decided it will stay as a beater.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fig wrote:
I really think the student model Yamaha is going to be a better horn than the low price options you are thinking of.

I’ll second this. One of my former profs got one as a gift, he loved it, and never saw a reason to upgrade from it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: