• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which Flugel to Upgrade a Yam 2310?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nltrumpet wrote:
Fig wrote:
I really think the student model Yamaha is going to be a better horn than the low price options you are thinking of.

I’ll second this. One of my former profs got one as a gift, he loved it, and never saw a reason to upgrade from it.

After a week or so of playing the 2 Yamahas (631G & 2310S+trigger) I'm not sure that there is enough of a difference to rationalize 'upgrading'. nltrumpet & Fig, that will be my advice for future deciders.

Yes, the 631G is somewhat darker and plays with a little bit more resistance. It's also more compact, almost feels like a cornet or pocket trumpet compared to the 2310S. Someone mentioned that the 631G trigger is not as ergonomic as they would like and I agree. It will take a little getting used to before it is natural feeling for me.

Was it worth it? I'm not sure a week can answer that but, I don't think the 631G is all that much more flugelhorn than it's cousin, the 2310S. The added trigger on the 2310S makes a lot of difference. Actually it's a must if low register intonation means anything to you.

Of course this is just my purely subjective opinion and it's only been a week, we'll see, but the 2310S is a better horn than I was giving it credit for. Kind of a shame the 2310S got the 'student model' moniker attached.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you be able to post some pictures of your 2310S with the trigger shown?
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:

Sure, This would be my 1st photo post here. Is there a direct way to post or do I put it on my One Drive or Dropbox and post the link?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECLtmpt2 wrote:
etc-etc wrote:

Sure, This would be my 1st photo post here. Is there a direct way to post or do I put it on my One Drive or Dropbox and post the link?

TH doesn't host photos. You need to link to another site that does support photo sharing.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download link to photo of Yamaha 2310S w/added trigger.

The trigger was added by Ann MacMillan (UNT Professor -Band instrument Repair) circa the late 80's when she was still doing work for Brook-Mays at their Dallas warehouse location off I-35E-S. Miss that place!

https://sat02pap001files.storage.live.com/y4msX7lgJTAQtZsJzRL4KZsYC7RO2sm_6_R9HoBhUIXCoRSfI47ZWbPYO-OQQ8KNWMRZdw6r55-VwG3jA-gchnshm9TpNcV3guiNMqHQ1jiA0OVkjjPXS49OdcIR0N2gsYcAWoqsf7Xrf69P3Iwd-ZPl_F1GL40b2ab35pkVUTkxJ-dFEIyk0eOzL73NyFaw4Pc1ah2V8Qxcq4slepFpYxyLg/Yam_2310S_%20Full.jpg?psid=1&width=640&height=480

(Download Link Only)

Thank you etc-etc. This link will allow you to download the Yamaha 2310S w/trigger pict and view locally. I'm still not sure how to get this to work so the pict is viewable here but I'll work on it.

Any thoughts &/or suggestions welcome?
I'd love to share my photos...

(This post has been substantially edited over the past couple of days to try and get the linked photo to be viewable by TH users.)

Last edited by ECLtmpt2 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:21 am; edited 8 times in total
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECLtmpt2 wrote:
etc-etc wrote:

Thank you - trigger is clearly visible! Image can be downloaded, but not displayed in TH using this link.

I guess this trigger setup works better with larger hands, or requires holding the flugel by the right hand using the hook on the bell, and the left hand holding the 3rd valve slide tubing. Ingenious adaptation of the 631 trigger!
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not having success with posting a link from my OneDrive account.

FWIW: I hold the horn (YFH-2310S) with my left hand. Basically gripping it around the bottom of the valve block. My left hand middle finger works the trigger. That feels pretty natural to me.

The 631G will take a bit more time for me to get it to be second nature, the trigger seems a little short coming from the Conn V-1. BTW: I avoid using the "octave key" to hold or support any horn.

Give me a couple of days and I'll figure out how to post a functional link to show a photo of how I hold the horn.

Note to self: 'Never sell a good horn to buy a guitar you can't play.'
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECLtmpt2 wrote:

Your OneDrive account probably isn't publicly accessible, which is a good thing.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
ECLtmpt2 wrote:

Your OneDrive account probably isn't publicly accessible, which is a good thing.

I was able to paste the direct link to the JPG photo from ECLtmpt2's OneDrive, but it would not display in TH unless clicked on (upon clicking, the photo would be downloaded).
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the link to me holding the 2310S with the added trigger. Dropbox instead of Onedrive.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygtym4ofcvl1bfb/Yam_2310_HandHld.jpg?dl=0

Thanks etc-etc & Crazy Finn!

Now the direct link to the YFH-2310S w/added trigger, no download necessary!!:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7nvzws09edhquw/Yam_2310S_%20Full.jpg?dl=0
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECLtmpt2 wrote:
This is the link to me holding the 2310S with the added trigger. Dropbox instead of Onedrive.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygtym4ofcvl1bfb/Yam_2310_HandHld.jpg?dl=0

Thanks etc-etc & Crazy Finn!

Now the direct link to the YFH-2310S w/added trigger, no download necessary!!:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7nvzws09edhquw/Yam_2310S_%20Full.jpg?dl=0

Very ingenious!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: