• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen recording equipment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tominicbombtom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen recording equipment Reply with quote

https://store.focusrite.com/en-gb/product/scarlett-2i2-studio-3rd-gen/MOSC0031#product_nav-tabs
I've been looking into some recording equipment and was wondering how this works with trumpet. Is the audio good? Is it pretty easy to work with? I just need some pointers on to what would work and what definitely does not work
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a solid bundle. Focusrite is pretty much industry standard consumer gear with decades of quality gear. I don't know about the mic or headphones but the Scarlett interfaces are all great.
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusrite Scarletts are EXCELLENT! Entry level prices, but way better than entry level sound!

I wouldn’t expect much out of the mic included, or the headphones. But as an audio interface, the Scarlett is great.

When I first started recording, I was using a Scarlett Solo Generation 3 and a Shure SM57. The Solo has the same pre’s as the 2i2. Excellent quality for not much $$$$.

I’ve upgraded since. Let me know if you’d be interested in a like new Scarlett solo Gen 3/Brand new Shure SM57. I’d sell the two for $150, shipped.
Raya2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a Scarlett 2i2 and it has worked great. Just like Andy I've used it with a SM57 and I've had good results with it. I liked the 2i2 better than the solo so I still have the opportunity to plug in another mic if I wanted to but they are great audio interfaces. I am not sure how good the mic on that bundle is, but I'd suggest to invest in a more "standard" mic for recording instruments.

Good luck!
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.kemp wrote:
Focusrite Scarletts are EXCELLENT! Entry level prices, but way better than entry level sound!

I wouldn’t expect much out of the mic included, or the headphones. But as an audio interface, the Scarlett is great.

When I first started recording, I was using a Scarlett Solo Generation 3 and a Shure SM57. The Solo has the same pre’s as the 2i2. Excellent quality for not much $$$$.

I’ve upgraded since. Let me know if you’d be interested in a like new Scarlett solo Gen 3/Brand new Shure SM57. I’d sell the two for $150, shipped.

That's a good deal.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2i2 works great. I need to get a better mic to get better trumpet sound.
tominicbombtom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your suggestions. It looks like I'm for sure getting the Focusrite Scarlett. And it looks like the Shure SM57 is a pretty good mic for recording trumpet. Are there any other mics that are pretty good and fairly cheap?(100-150$)?
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mics are a fairly personal choice.
The benefits of the Shure SM57 is, it's indestructible! It's a dynamic mic, so you'll have your bell close to it (6'-18') and it can easily take the hit from trumpet articulation.

That $100-150 range doesn't necessarily get you to a better performing mic. Some will be a bit more full, but not necessarily as clear. The Shure is VERY clear, which is great.

To really get to a difference, you're going to want to likely explore ribbon mics, which record trumpet very well. But, are extremely fragile and much higher in price. There are some pretty fantastic ribbons in the lower range (Golden Age R1 Mk3, $250ish) which is pretty excellent. True and warm sounding. MXL makes a few ribbons in the $100-200 range. But, they are passive ribbons and would need additional gain for most interfaces. The Golden Age mentioned above is an active ribbon, which requires no additional gain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: