• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

B&H NVA Cornet parts needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndgeorge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: B&H NVA Cornet parts needed Reply with quote

Hello fellow trumpet/cornet geeks,

I recently purchased a Boosey & Hawkes Imperial cornet (~1957) just to have a bit of a noodle around on. It's in good nick, but it's missing the valve felts and could do with new springs.

I've found felt sets for sale on eBay, but it seems as though they won't post to Australia from the UK- I'll probably end up buying some felt and making my own with a punch.

As for springs, it uses the B&H "NVA" style valves, so the springs are attached beneath the valve guide and stretch rather than compress.

I found this zombie post ( https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42349&sid=0adbbdab9ed1b007a5c7d767f68d2ed8 ) that discusses the springs, but it seems as though this supplier doesn't exist anymore.

Any ideas as to where I could source some of these springs?

Cheers, Noah
bjoc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Legato's (in Melbourne)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Musical-Instrument-Store/Legato-Australia-Pty-Ltd-775144682584468/
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might sound a bit off the wall and dopey but is it possible since this instrument is for noodling, to just slap in some springs beneath the valves and remove the correct springs.

A conversion to bottom sprung valves is usually cheap and quick and could make the horn playable.

If removing the original springs is not possible then an alternative is an exceptionally weak additional bottom spring.

That very weak spring could add just enough force so you dont have to remove the original spring and you use the two together until you can source the correct springs.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The supplier mentioned in that post, Windcraft was the trade spares and parts arm of Dawkes Music - which still exists and supplies parts via the Dawkes.co.uk website. They will usually be able to help with stuff like this.

Or send PM with a photo of the valves and approx dimensions of your felts and springs - there's a half-decent chance I might have some for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: