• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Top Tones Accompaniments Update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wfrayer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Top Tones Accompaniments Update Reply with quote

I have completed the first 10 studies in the Top Tones Modern Characteristic Studies. I am perusing the copy and when I am sure it is correct the book will be ready for distribution on Amazon.com.

I am curious to discover how many of you would be interested in these accompaniments. I have checked out MakeMusic's SmartScore and it is possible to put the accompaniments there. But unfortunately, this won't help reimburse me for my time, effort and ability. I can send out mp3's of each of the accompaniments, but that makes for rigid performance and practice. Any thoughts on how else I might present these accompaniments is welcomed.

Best Regards,
William Rayer
wfrayer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Top Tones Accompaniments Available Reply with quote

The first accompaniments 10 studies for the Top Tones Modern Characteristic Studies by Walter Smith are now available to purchase at:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YS61V7F/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=top+tones%3A+studies&qid=1615739951&s=books&sr=1-1

To hear the First Study's accompaniment go here:
https://soundcloud.com/user3562166/top-tones-1-walter-smithwf-rayer

All the studies come with only the Piano accompaniment part only. The user will have to own their own copy of the Walter Smith book.

If you'd like to hear one of the other first 10 studies, pm me and I will send you a link to hear that particular study.

I am currently working on the second 10 studies have numbers 11 thru 14 completed.

Best regards,
William (Bill) Rayer
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Purchase Reply with quote

Count me as a future purchaser!
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds fun. I will get it too.
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
wfrayer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I am sure you will enjoy performing these difficult studies as concert pieces. I've been teaching trumpet since 1968. Yes, they did have modern trumpets back then...

Bill
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen this new book?
https://www.purtle.com/advanced-studies-of-aaron-harris-reinterpreted-david-bertie

A student of mine recreated the entire Aaron Harris book and located all the original violin source material it came from. We were completing the original Harris book and Top Tones and the shutdowns hit and David had written so many changes that I suggested he contact Alan and Liz Colin and maybe do a book. It sort of fits as a precursor to Smith’s Top Tones.

You probably know there was a cool connection between Aaron Harris, Walter Smith, and Charles Colin. Some of that is covered in an article in the most recent ITG Journal.

Most people give up on Top Tones after a few etudes because of all the technique required to even begin playing it. I bet your accomplishments will help keep people interested in the book so they can see the benefit of completing the entire thing.
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
wfrayer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jeff,

No, I have not seen this book. I certainly will give it a look. I haven't gotten to reading the latest ITG journal. Now I have to open it and find that article.

I remember when my trumpet teacher (Harry Herforth) gave me that Top Tones to play in my Junior year in college, I thought he was crazy...But, with some perseverance and dedication, I made it through the method. Still use it today. I wrote the accompaniments because I felt a lot of them were worth the effort because of their design. This was much the same concept when I did the accompaniments for the Charlier Characteristic Studies, which, by the way, are selling big in England.

Thanks for pointing out the Bertie book.

Best regards,
Bill
wfrayer

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: All 30 Completed Reply with quote

All of the 30 Top Tone Studies now have an accompaniment. If you'd like to here a sample of your favorite, let me know and I will send you a link to listen to the study with it's accompaniment.

Best regards,

Bill
wfrayer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have reposted the link for my Top Tones by Walter Smith accompaniments in the Market Place.[/b][/u]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: