• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question re: Systematic Approach Lesson 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lfrank

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Question re: Systematic Approach Lesson 5 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster- be gentle please

Anyway, in my second year of my 40 year post- high school comeback, and now working through the Systematic Approach two weeks per lesson. I'm currently on Lesson Five and am wondering.... why in part IV are the Clarke exercises using 3rd finger on E's and A's? Just an exposure to alternate fingerings? Better for those technical exercises? Strengthening the 3rd finger? Probably a dumb question, but I gotta know. Thanks.

Larry
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He addresses this in the forward:
Quote:
3. I have used a great deal of so-called false fingering in order to develop the fingers.
4. In some cases the conventional scale fingering that you originally learned to play with is not the best. For example:

I disagree that using 12 in a C major arpeggio is "rough & awkward", but it's useful to be able to use either fingering for a given note. Since you are probably pretty good at using 12 already, he makes you try 3. Sometimes it really is faster or less awkward, and later on the alternate fingerings make arpeggios into lip slurs (Clarke 3 and 7, when you get to them).
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
lfrank

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the forward. Forgot that already.

Perfect, thanks.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Question:re Reply with quote

Hello all,
1-2 fingerings are sharp, so anytime you can make the exercise/etude better intune, use 3 for E's and A's.
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer:
To isolate 3rd finger and train to to function better independently. And, to give familiarity with fingering options for the best solution in a performance.

The context of this questions is regarding a the few fingerings mentioned in the Systematic Approach lesson plan to apply to Clarke’s Technical Studies. There are many more that you see in the upcoming assignments. There were also others that Claude wrote.

Great players like Clifford Brown and others have used alternate fingerings when it works best. Sometimes in a fast passage it’s cleaner and sometimes in a slow passage a different fingering can improve pitch depending on the chord tone you are on. Our ears and experience can decide. However, we have to have enough experience on the horn to know our options.

That’s obviously a longer answer. Master them and you will have something others don’t understand.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: